THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Need a Hornet load for my 223 rem

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a Hornet load for my 223 rem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have NEF (break action) 223 rem and I would like to make it think it is a 22 Hornet.

I understand that you can load some Blue Dot and 40gr bullets into the 223 rem and make it shoot like a 22 hornet.

Would anyone like to share their load with me so that I don't have to re-invent the wheel. I will be using it for pest control around my house. I live out in the sticks, but don't want to use full house 223 rem loads for pest contol.

thanks for the help.

Minnestoa Dick

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishing9.5gr. Blue Dot wih any bullet to 60 grs. popcorn 8.5gr. SR 7625 with any bullet to 55 grs. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 12 grains of Blue Dot with a 40 Ballistic Tip. I've shot 1 hole 5 shot groups at 100 yds with my CZ Varmint 223. It's got a 1 in 9 twist, not supposed to shoot 40 grain bullets well, but that's it's most accurate load.

Posts: 54 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I have dedicated a load of 10 grains of Blue Dot and a 40 grain bullet to a Winchester featherweight chambered in 223...

Recoils like a BB Gun and drives tacks like a hammer..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My CZ 527 prefers 13 grains of Lil'Gun under a 35 grain V Max and a small pistol primer.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to the Hodgdon site, and look up reduced or "youth" loads with H 4895. Seems like they recommend starting at 60% of a standard load. That should do nicely. Cool

Posts: 117 | Location: Utah | Registered: 31 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to gear up with Blue Dot someday but my Hornet load in a 223 is 14.0 grains of IMR 4227 and the 45 grain Hornady spire point.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a K-Hornet load? I use 13.5 gr of Blue Dot with a 50 gr Hornady SP in my .223 for 2850 fps. Shoots 100 yard groups right along with the full power stuff. The same charge should work fine with anything from a 35 to a 55 grain bullet.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I have an ADL in 223 that is my dedicated Hornet equiv walking varminter...

It has two loads I use in it..

both with 55 grain SPs ( since they are the cheapest)...

11 grains of Blue Dot
or
14 grains of SR 4759...

MV is 2500 fps.. which is plenty...

these loads are penetrating 10 to 12 inch diameter trees... so it is more than plenty ooomph...

I look at this as a 200 to 225 yd load, which takes in 90% plus of all sage rats and prairie dogs I have ever taken..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Yup! Eleven grains of BD and a mollied Anything Up to Sixty Grains. Scary accurate, kills rats and close 'chucks easily.

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote