THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Best 223 load for H & R Handi Rifle

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 223 load for H & R Handi Rifle
 Login/Join

<whisler>
posted
I have a 24" .223 bull barrel for my Handi-rifle coming for christmas. I need recommendations on powder for this new addition.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
IMR 4895

Posts: 10141 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Here is a link to an OCW load test I performed using W748 and Nosler's 55 grain Ballistic Tips.

Conclusion was 26.6 grains of the W748 will do it for you, and this recipe should work well in any decent .223 rifle. (Read the follow-ups)...

You may be interested in the fact that the rifle I used for this test was the same rifle you have...

http://216.219.200.59/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000256

That should be all you need...

Dan Newberry
green 788

<rifleman>
posted
green788,

Does this mean you have abandoned the Varget/40 gr Bal Tip load? This OAL of 2.350 seems awfully long, with the bullet barely in the shell. Also goes against the earlier idea of a very short OAL.

Just wondering the reasoning.

Dave

PS

I have some 55 gr VMAX, worth a try as a substitute?

[ 11-10-2002, 23:56: Message edited by: rifleman ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use (in a Ruger #1V) 28 grains of W748 under a 40 grain Sierra HP. It's hard to shoot a group over 3/4 inches. Same load with a Speer 40 grain spire point works almost as well.
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Rifleman,

I developed the W748 load, using my OCW load development method, as a result of a request by a member of that forum.

I still use Varget as well, but I haven't done any OCW development tests with Varget and the 55 grain bullets in the .223 Remington.

As far as the OAL, 2.350" with the 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip is relatively deep in the case. There is at least a caliber's depth in the case neck, or perhaps a bit more.

With the 40 grain ballistic tips, 2.225" to 2.230" seems to work best in the rifles I'm familiar with. The lighter the bullet, the more bearing surface it seems to need (percentage-wise, that is)...

The Hornady 55 grain load with 26.6 grains of W748 should be a good performer. If you test it, let me know how it goes.

The above mentioned 28 grain W748 load with the 40 grain bullet is also an all around good performer, working well in many rifles...

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
If you can work up a load that shoots better than the Winchester 45 grain jhp a @ 3600fps that comes in the Varmint pack ( White and Red box) ~$12...I will be amazed. The above mentioned Win748 load also shoots well out of mine with 40 grain Vmaxs. I plan to work up some loads with 55 grain pills over Benchmark but it wont be until spring...........
Dave

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
<whisler>
posted
THANK YOU ALL for the reply, this will reduce my time at the range and increase my time in the field....

<bigbelly>
posted
I`ve got a 223 handi rifle too,mine likes the ballistic silvertip 50gr over a moderate charge of either H-322 or H-benchmark,the data is in my basement loading area or I`d give charge weights.I can`t shoot the cheap ball on the market,my action locks up and I have to hit it at the hinge to open it.I think it needs a bushing around the firing pin.no handloads have been a problem,but I don`t load max for this one.good luck,my 45-70 handi rifle thinks it`s a bench gun.only trouble,not with me behind the stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fill a case full of IMR 4895 and seat a 55gr bullet on it. Best load there is!

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote