THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Switch barrel... Savage 12 BVSS....
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Switch barrel... Savage 12 BVSS....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
... Do you know the ratio of transmitted to reflected sound at 1 kHz with the sound absorbent material in you building sound suppresser?
10 kHz? ....

At the initial time of building the room, borrowed several different types of sound measuring equipment and had acoustical engineers assist in measuring the effect of the sound suppression material and structure. Tested over several days.

Was never satisfied with the repeatability of the quantitative measures and no longer remember where the records are stored.

(Understand that the Fins are the experts in measuring shooting sound.)

All participants believed the sound suppression room was very effective.

Brother trains young horses within a couple of hundred feet of the shooting range and the horses don't pay attention to the shooting done from the sound suppressed room.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a start up speaker company in 1971, and used spun glass house insulation. Then in an EE360 Acoustics lab in 1976, we put some spun glass in an Aluminum tube with transducer and microphone. As we moved the mike, we could measure the standing wave ratio. The SWR varies with frequency. You being a math professor, I was trolling for some technology.

Not that I want to hijack Seafire's thread.
This thread got me to buy the Savage wrench.
It has square threads on one end and round threads on the other. Brownell's gets the wrench from
http://www.savageshooters.net/sharpshooters/BarrelAccessories.html
With the barreled action in hand, the wrench will not get it off. I need to make a barrel or receiver bushing for the barrel vise.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer:
Have been playing with switch (swap) barrel rifles for 30+ years. Have had them built on Remingtons, Weatherbys, Rugers, Sakos, Montanas, etc. Some of these, especially John Dustin built ones, can be changed in the field in under 5 minutes, probably 3 minutes.

Savage is the easiest one and cheapest one. Fifteen minutes to change a Savage is plenty of time.

With a detachable scope system, a really good scope, a good bedding job, and a little record keeping, might be surprised how repeatable the scope settings will be between changing barrels. For varmints and long range competition probably will need sighters, but on big game or plinking, might not put a round down range. Again, got to know the rifle well because don't ever want to be party to carelessly wounding an animal.

The economics of a swap barrel rifle are totally illusionary, just like the economics of handloading ammunition. Once you become addicted you keep adding barrels and the total expenditure far exceeds your original needs.

http://forums.sixgunner.com/One_example_of_reloading_setup/m_27446/tm.htm

This Savage has a total of five bolts ready-to-go, five scopes, two stocks, etc.

Last count had over 75 barrels, but I'm not a good counter.

Hammer

Hammer,

It may not be practical.. but I am so darn envious! I don't handload for economy at all either... figured that out in short order.. but I sure have a lot of fun along the way...

As we use to chant in basic training for the drill sargeant.. We like it, we love it, we want more of it!

cheers thumb
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
I had a start up speaker company in 1971, and used spun glass house insulation. Then in an EE360 Acoustics lab in 1976, we put some spun glass in an Aluminum tube with transducer and microphone. As we moved the mike, we could measure the standing wave ratio. The SWR varies with frequency....

If my memory serves me...

The Fins (Finland) have put quite a study to measuring the sound of rifles. The measurement of an instantaneous blast is quite a different subject than measuring a continuous sound like music. The repeatability of measurements of an instantaneous blast is quite poor compared to continuous sound.

No first hand knowledge on my part. Just my memory of research from years ago.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One frequent discussion among swap barrel folks is that it by-passes the threat of laws which limit the number of guns one can own.

Have frequently been told there is a limit to the number of guns one can have in South Africa. But the regulation is on the serial numbered action. Supposedly one can have as many barrels as one wants as the government hasn't caught on to that possibility yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pulled the barrel from my old S110 30-06. That barrel must have been on there between 24 years [when I got it used] and 48 years [when it was designed].
Anyway, it took 300 foot pounds to get the barrel nut loose. I did not use a hammer, because I wanted to measure the effort.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote