New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Cooper .17 Ackley Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
That was before I saw the error of my ways, now I have seen the light. I'm throwing away everything that doesn't have a gold ring, big bonfire out in the backyard. I'm using a couple of Savage rifles as kindling.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang, Montdoug, it's not nice making me look at that Cooper on two different boards!
You're cornering the market on 17 Ack Hornets!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sharpsman: I have a serious question for you!
How much better will that Rifle shoot with the Weaver scope than say if it had a comparable powered Leupold scope on it?
I somehow sense you won't be able to give a credible answer to this question!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Trapdoor. I started fireform and breakin this weekend I think it's gonna be a dandy. What model Cooper did you choose?

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy,

I have a SERIOUS answer for your SERIOUS scope question:

QUOTE-"Question-sharpsman: I have a serious question for you!

How much better will that Rifle shoot with the Weaver scope than say if it had a comparable powered Leupold scope on it?"

I somehow sense you won't be able to give a credible answer to this question." -UNQUOTE

Answer-NOT ONE DAMN BIT BETTER.

AND odds are that Cooper WILL NOT SHOOT ONE DAMN BIT BETTER with a comparable model Leupold on it,either.Period!

And frankly, VG, I don't give a FIG if you "think" my answer is "credible" or not.I know for SURE it is just a worthy as any OPINION you will ever have on the subject.

Now if you will EXCUSE ME, I have to retire early so I can go shoot some very tight groups in the morning with my NON Leupold scopes...

one of us
posted Hide Post
montdoug,

Mine is the Varminter model. The wood on it is stunning in the correct light/angle. Straight on, its pretty, but turn the butt almost straight away and WOW!!!

Your's is gorgeous, too!! I love those Coopers and I like those Montana Varminters too.

I know how much you have been wanting one of those fabulous 17AH's (from discussions at Saubier) and I KNOW you won't be disappointed in the least!

I finally got mine Sept 03 and haven't gotten to work with it too much. I have had primer piercing and pressure problems and I need to get it back to Cooper. I have a couple hundred rounds through it on chizzlers (ground squirrels), rock chucks, prairie dogs, and birds; enough to stretch its legs a bit. But a safari popped up and my attention had to turn elsewhere for the time being.

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,

With your 17AH rifle mentioned,what velocites do you get??
What powders and bullets??

one of us
posted Hide Post
12.0 N120 with 20VMAX is giving me 3765.

I know of fellas who have gotten over 4000, but I haven't done enough experimenting myself to be able to verify that.

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TD,
What barrel length?

How does the brass hold up?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Cooper I just picked up as well as a CZ American being redone with a Pac-Nor barrel both in .17 Ackley Hornet. As I've yet to shoot either (CZ's not even back yet) I really can't comment on velocities.
One guy I converse with a lot has a Cooper and his velocities mirror Trapdoor's. He's a safe and prudent reloader and while his loads might be exceeded, for the little gain available I don't see it being worth the risk.
My approach has always been if you need more velocity, get a bigger case. For ground squirrels with a .17 I use multiple rifles, .17 M2 @ 2,150fps, .17 HMR @ 2,550, .17 Ackley Hornets @ 3,800ish, (one for me one for the wife) .17 MachIV @ 4,100 with a 20 grain, .17 Remington @ 4,050 with a 25 grainer.
In the famous words of Hillary,... "It takes a battery"! ...Hillary did say that didn't she???... Or maybe it was confiscate their battery!... I get em confused.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will LILGUN work well in the 17AH ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
The two I hear the most about are N120 an AA1680, I'd think as well as Lil'Gun works in my various .22 Hornets and my K-Hornet I'd expect it to be at a minimum a passible powder. But I haven't tried it yet so I can't say for sure. As I remember the caution I heard on Lil'Gun in the .17 Ackley was it's velocity spreads also, (again as I remember) was load density.
Ask this question on Saubier.com and you'll be deluged with answers.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Quote:

That was before I saw the error of my ways, now I have seen the light. I'm throwing away everything that doesn't have a gold ring, big bonfire out in the backyard. I'm using a couple of Savage rifles as kindling.

That was dam funny now I can tell my friend what his savage is really good for.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I was wondering if the Cooper is any better than a Remington 40x if they were both single shots.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Answer-NOT ONE DAMN BIT BETTER.

That seems pretty credible to me.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My barrel length is 24".

I have some data on Lil'Gun out of the 17 AH, but haven't shot any myself.

As montdoug points out, N120 and AA1680 are the powders for the 17AH, with N120 seeming to get the nod, due to not being as dirty. IMR4227, and H4227 seem to be pretty good too, as well as some others.

While 4000 fps seems possible out of the 17AH, the 3800 number is "more" practical in my opinion. Like montdoug says, If you want more speed, get a bigger case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
sharpsman: So you ARE then admitting that your immature, unfounded and snotty remarks regarding the fine Leupold line of scopes in this thread is simply that - IMMATURE, UNFOUNDED and SNOTTY!

Maybe, dullman, you could appraise everyone then just as to why most all competitive bench rest type marksman prefer to use Leupold scopes?

And if the only thing you can come up with is more IMMATURE, UNFOUNDED and SNOTTY remarks then save your display of second grader mentality and go play by your self in the corner.

I think YOU have proven, dullman, the lack of credibility of any opinion you might express with your unworthy and unfounded postings JUST in this thread!

Merry X-mas there dullman!

LONG LIVE LEUPOLD!

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG,

If you REREAD your "little contribution" on this thread AGAIN,you will see that I simply responded to your "snotty" little attack on me with a like response..

How childish of me...

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I was wondering if the Cooper is any better than a Remington 40x if they were both single shots.

Yes, i feel the Cooper is much better. However, I must quality that by saying that I don't have a 17AH Cooper. My 17 Mach IV shoot .3" groups with the first load I made. My Cooper 57 classic (22LR) shoot .1" groups @ 50 yarrds.

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kory I might have to disagree with ya on this one, at least I think it would go to a rifle by rifle comparison.
I have a 40X in 6BR out of the Remington custom shop and short of a full on custom bench gun or varminter it's about as accurate as anything I've ever shot.
I'm thinkin I'd have to go with the " not one damn bit" theory. My 40X aggs 3 5 shot groups in the low 3's with ocasional groups in the .2's, in last years postal match my Cooper Mach IV agg'd in the low .3's as well. Quite similar actually. Interestingly there were three of us shooting Cooper .17 Mach IV's and our scores were almost identical.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Iv'e got a buddy in WV that hunts groundhogs in the High Mountain meadows there.HE owns a 40KBXR repeater.He ordered a single shot origionally but after a LONG wait ,a repeater came in instead.The Gunshop he ordered it from said "take it out and shoot it,if it's not what you want we'll refund your $$ in full".

Well, ten years later,he still has the gun(he never did get the single shot).The gun shoots several different FACTORY loads as my m700VLS does with handloads(well under .5 MOA) .They are both .22-250s..

I would say that now that Dan Cooper owns/runs Cooper Arms again himself,that their Product service/attention to detail(wood quality fit and finish of the stock) may be better than Remington's custom shop dollar for dollar.

But in terms of performance at the Target(all things being equal) once again I say -"NOT ONE DAMN BIT BETTER"..

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Doug,

I agree with you on that, but which one is purtier? If I had to choose between the two, I'd go for the Cooper, not just because of the wood, but the fit & finish. But that's just my opinion and I have great respect for what you have to say.

Regards,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Purtier is a whole different deal Kory. "Cooper Hands Down"!!!
Truth be told Kory I've got 4 Coopers and one 40X, what's that tell ya?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your beautiful Cooper. I have two of them and they are two I will never part with. My centerfire is a 22-250 Custom Classic. It consistently shoots in the .3's at 100 yds from the bench, if I am consistent, and has shot as small as 2.54, 5-shots, at 650 yds. Nothing like a beautiful rifle that shoots equally beautiful groups.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote