New
Find
Notify
Tools

savage 12BVSS??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im thinking about getting on in .243 as a coyote and part time deer rifle. Ive never had a savage before and ive heard some bad things about them so im kind of hesitant.Have any of you got any expierience with this gun??
thanks

One of Us
Picture of The Cat Doctor
posted Hide Post
Blakeroth,

I was like you until about a year ago. I always thought of savage as the wal-mart of rifles(cheap and not the best quality) I had a couple of friends buy model 10 243's and I shot them they were very accurate and seemed well build but not real pretty. I bought a model 112 bvss last october in 7mmrm I topped it with a 6.5 to 20 stainless leoupold and not only is it pretty but very accurate. 1/4 moa w/reloads and .4 to .5 with factory ammo. with the 12 bvss you will get the accu-trigger 2 down to 1.5lbs I don't think you can go wrong.

Married men live longer than single men do,

but married men are a lot more willing to die.

Posts: 165 | Location: missouri | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Absolutely the best buy for the money. If you do buy a Savage, get the accutrigger. If you don't like the plain hardwood, pony up a little more and get the laminated stock.

While it is ALWAYS possible to get a turd with any new gun, it is LESS likely with a Savage in my experience. thumb

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yet another vote for the savage. Possibly consider a stripped down version and save the extra bux for an aftermarket stock, if dollars are an issue. Check out sharp shooter supply or go to savageshooters.com, the aftermarket has really grown for the savages recently. You will not be dissapointed. By the way, im not one of these savage freaks, i own remingtons, brownings etc etc but the savages are hands down the most for the least.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cdog:
Yet another vote for the savage. Possibly consider a stripped down version and save the extra bux for an aftermarket stock, if dollars are an issue. Check out sharp shooter supply or go to savageshooters.com, the aftermarket has really grown for the savages recently. You will not be dissapointed. By the way, im not one of these savage freaks, i own remingtons, brownings etc etc but the savages are hands down the most for the least.

Any aftermarket stock you would want to buy will cost you more than the upgrade to the laminate stock version.
The original thread was for a Savage 12BVSS.
Doesn’t a 12BVSS already have a laminated wood stock?

I put a scope on a Savage 12VLP, Varminter Low Profile .204Ruger, about 2 hours ago and the gentleman purchased it at Sportsman's Warehouse for $605 last week.
It is the fluted SS Laminated stock version. I believe he said the regular non-SS black stocked version was about $400.

So for $205 he got a NICE laminated wood stock, with beavertail forend, and a SS action with a heavy fluted barrel. For $605 it is very quality looking rifle.

JMHO.

Davidson's (Gallery-of-Guns.com)
Savage 12VLP (SS) $632 (laminated beavertail stock) $605 @Sportsman's Whse.
Savage 12BVSS $589 (laminated regular stock)
Savage 12FVSS $546 (black synthetic stock)
Savage 12FV (non SS) $450 (black synthetic stock) $425 @Sportsman's Whse.

Which would you buy?

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Cat Doctor
posted Hide Post
Don't think I am a savage freak I own and have owned Ruger, Remington, Browning, and Winchester, The reason that I am sold on the Savage is that is is more accurate than the others, and just attractive.

Posts: 165 | Location: missouri | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Savage 12BVSS is an awful heavy rifle to be toting around. If your a stand hunter it would probably work. Bud's Gun Shop has them for about $556.

Posts: 97 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a couple of Savages and so far they have been the most accurate out of the box rifles I have owned. I don't think they are pretty but I bought them as knock around truck rifles anyway. It is always the rifle I recommend to friends just starting to hunt so they don't spend too much and get alot of gun. As a matter of fact, it will probably be my next purchase, AGAIN! When is enough guns, enough?

Posts: 107 | Location: California High Desert | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ohlsen:
A Savage 12BVSS is an awful heavy rifle to be toting around. If your a stand hunter it would probably work. Bud's Gun Shop has them for about $556.

If he's getting them from Davidson's they have an additional "Lifetime Warranty" above anything from the factory. But only from Davidson's.

Well worth the $25... thumb

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffMc:
I have owned a couple of Savages and so far they have been the most accurate out of the box rifles I have owned. I don't think they are pretty but I bought them as knock around truck rifles anyway. It is always the rifle I recommend to friends just starting to hunt so they don't spend too much and get alot of gun. As a matter of fact, it will probably be my next purchase, AGAIN! When is enough guns, enough?

Answer: NEVER!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Life time warranty??? For what??

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 12 VLP in .204 at Xmas time from Sid over on varminthunters cost $495 by the time I had it in my hands, brand new not used! Paid $589 for a single-shot .204 VLP from Northland Shooters Supply in MN.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Davidson's is a rip!

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Life time warranty??? For what??

Since you asked a very obvious question, I will try and give you a very simple answer:

(From Davidson’s Website)

At Davidson's, your satisfaction is our commitment. In fact, our commitment is so strong, that we have put together the only GuaranteeDSM Lifetime Replacement Warranty available in the firearms industry.
It works like this......
If anything ever goes wrong with any gun you buy with the Davidson's GuaranteeDSM Lifetime Replacement Warranty, it will be replaced. If no replacement is available, it will be repaired at no charge to you. Simple, just return it to the GuaranteeDSM retailer where you purchased it, pay for the return shipping and upon receipt Davidson's will ship you
A BRAND NEW GUN THE VERY NEXT DAY:

Davidson's will ship your replacement firearm the very next business day for all in stock items.You are only responsible for return shipping costs to us (ie: getting the firearm to Davidson's through your retailer we do not accept shipments directly from end consumers.) Handguns are shipped out for next day delivery while long guns are typically received by your dealer within 3-4 days of shipping. If we do not have a replacement or you elect to get the same repaired firearm back, your firearm will be sent to the factory or an authorized warranty station for repair. If your firearm is repaired, the time frame until we return your firearm will be longer. Your dealer must have a valid FFL with original signature on file for us to ship and a current account with Davidson's.
quote:
Davidson's is a rip!

You can always shop around.
In five years, if Bubba’s Gun Store is still in business, maybe you can get Bubba to ship your broken gun to somebody to fix it. Maybe not.

You won't get a new gun for replacement, and the repair more than likely won't be free, but you will have saved $80...

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought a 12 VLP in .204 at Xmas time from Sid over on varminthunters cost $495 by the time I had it in my hands, brand new not used! Paid $589 for a single-shot .204 VLP from Northland Shooters Supply in MN.

By the way, that was 6 months ago, and it was Christmas.
Can you say biggest shopping "sale" time of the year.
The last time Davidson's had Savages on sale they were about $50 less.

When your gun from Northland Shooters Supply or Sid over on varminthunters breaks, what will you do to get it fixed? And to think you saved $43.00...

I have NEVER had a problem with Davidson's. BUT they are only ONE wholesaler out of many.

Like I said, you are free to shop around...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lippy.... Not trying to be a smart a--, but what's gonna break on a rifle?? I've been shooting for a lot of years and have had a lot of rifles and there's only been one that gave me a problem. Bought a SS Synthetic Rem BDL in 7/08 from Gander Mt and it had a gouge in the chamber which would not allow a fired case to extract. Took it back and they gave me another one. Which worked just fine.

Davidsons guarantee is just like when you go buy a new stereo, it has a 1-yr warranty, but the salesperson will tell you how you just gotta buy this extended 3yr warranty to save you money, just in case. I'll bet that 90% or better of those warranties never get use. It's a gimmick!

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lippy.... Not trying to be a smart a--, but what's gonna break on a rifle?? I've been shooting for a lot of years and have had a lot of rifles and there's only been one that gave me a problem. Bought a SS Synthetic Rem BDL in 7/08 from Gander Mt and it had a gouge in the chamber which would not allow a fired case to extract. Took it back and they gave me another one. Which worked just fine.

Davidsons guarantee is just like when you go buy a new stereo, it has a 1-yr warranty, but the salesperson will tell you how you just gotta buy this extended 3yr warranty to save you money, just in case. I'll bet that 90% or better of those warranties never get use. It's a gimmick!

Not trying to be a smart a--, hmmmm?
I like guys that call other people names, it just bolsters their position and credibility.
Kind-of like guys who say F--- every third word...

Anybody who buys a three year warranty on a STEREO is an idiot.
It will be obsolete in less than a year anyway. When it breaks, throw it away and buy another.

Decent quality guns usually last longer than stereos, sometimes many, many years longer.
Here are some examples in case you need them or you can look on these forums to find threads asking for help with "broken" firearms.
Everything from broken trigger studs on a S&W model 29 (my thread), to bad finish on a CZ.

I recently sold a 100 year-old Marlin lever gun that functioned and would hunt just fine.
I have several rifles that were made in the 50’s and 60’s that were passed down to me by my step-dad. I know at least one of these guns has needed "repair" over its life.

I would be willing to bet most of these guns will be around longer than ANY stereo you will buy today and most of these guns are already 40 years old.
I can’t remember seeing any 40 year old stereos lately…

Let me ask you a question Ohlsen, how many new guns have you sold?
100? 20? None?
Let me take a wild guess---none?

You would be surprised how often little things break or simply don't work as they should right out of the box. I've also had several guys bring guns in to the shop that were only a few years old (or less) with trigger problems, failure to feed problems, etc.
Guns always seems to break when you don’t have weeks to send it away to have it fixed.

When Davidson's has guns on sale, they are the same price or even LOWER than everybody else, so why not get a lifetime guarantee?
Sometimes their regular price is competitive, and you still get the lifetime guarantee.

I look at several different suppliers when I order a gun for a customer, Davidson’s is just one.
My goal is to give them the best deal for their money, period.

I just had a customer come in today looking for a Glock 24. A local gun dealer has them for $699. I can order one through Davidsons for $645 and it has a lifetime warranty.
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:
Like I said, you are free to shop around...
thumb