THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Poor man's LR prairie rat rifle....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor man's LR prairie rat rifle....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
 -

-

This was a budget project and came in at $1835 complete as pictured. Chambered in 25/06.

Holmes

[ 03-03-2003, 00:29: Message edited by: Holmes ]

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
details of rifle please.

Posts: 351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The stock is a McMillan M40A-1 (HTG) purchased used. LOP was lengthened to 14" with a spacer and Decelerator pad. Stock received supplemental weight. Cheekpad is a 3/16" sorbathane by Cheekeez.

Action is a '90s Remington BDL 700 purchased used. Barrel is a Lilja NBRSA-HV at 27.5" with a 1-in-10. Barrel and action tuning handled by Dale Storey of DGS. Bedding and channel by your's truly. Converted to ADL with a Davidson single shot follower. Metal trigger guard with hex head head screws.

Scope is an old Weaver steel tube T-20 with F/C and a 1/3 MOA dot. Freshly blueprinted by Ackerman. Flexible shade and cant level. Purchased used.

Rail is a Farrell one piece with a 20 MOA taper. Epoxy bedded with 8x40s.

Rings are Burris medium height with inserts. Purchased used.

Trigger is a RifleBasix set at 16 oz.

Sling is by Sinclair, their Biothane material.

Bipod is a chopped Harris BRSM with a Tank screw and PodLoc. Purchased used and chopped by your's truly.

Just breaking it in and working loads. Hope the damn thing shoots [Smile]

[ 03-03-2003, 03:20: Message edited by: Holmes ]

<Big Stick>
posted
I went a similar route.

-
 -

It is a 223Ackley Improved on a Rem 700 short.

I opted a straight 1.350" PacNor S/S SuperMatch 1-12" barrel. Retained the repeater function,went with an oversize recoil lug and tucked the works in a heavy filled McMillan A2 in Urban Camo.

Tweaked the trigger to 1.5lbs and bedded it myself in SteelBed. Went with Leupold DD's and poked a Weaver T-16x on top.

It weighs 18.5lbs and allows me to easily spot for myself,at any distance I wish to engage.

As an aside,I was making footage today for a couple of friends and employed this particular rifle for that task. I setup up 2 Grade A Jumbo chicken eggs at 510 yds and filmed as my pard busted both in two pokes.

It is an amazingly accurate rifle and certainly amongst my favorites. I've got about $1250 into it,guts feathers and all.

This is one of four 223AI's I have and I'm going to build another one similar to this,but on the HTG stock and similar to George's "Rock" blueprint. Would like it to be about 13lbs all up..............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, Big Stick. I like the Urban camouflage.

Being able to see my bullet impact was a prime requirement for this project also as I generally shoot solo. I've got a T-16 also sitting at the ready in case the T-20 doesn't work out. Just love those old steel tube Weavers [Smile]

Some time back, you reommended a Barnes 25 calibre pill. I've never been much of a Barnes fan as I cannot get them to group well in my 375, however, I'll be trying them in this rifle to see how they do.

I'll post the results as I work the wrinkles out of this bang stick.

Holmes

<jeremy w>
posted
Looks like the barrel fits the stock channel a bit better now!
Should have a couple months to get dialed in before prime time starts. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
That factory tube did look sorta lonely in that hog of a channel, eh?!

Now, if we could just have a day or two with winds less than 30mph [Mad]

Holmes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Holmes: Great looking Rifle! Wow! And thats a great caliber!
I do have one question regarding the Cheekeze cheek pad. Does it curl over the left side of the stock the same distance that it does on the right side of the stock? I like the looks of it but have never seen one in the flesh! Are you left handed? And a price check on the cheek pad please and where to get one. Thanks in advance! Good luck by the way with the nifty new rig!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello VarmintGuy,

The cheekpad does extend the same distance over the stock on both sides symetrically.

The 3/16" thickness was as much as I could go and still clear the bolt.

The cheek pad can also get in the way of a cleaning rod handle. I use a 44" Dewey which keeps the handle behind the pad during full strokes.

Here are the specs and prices from Brownell's:

CHEEK-EEZ
Mfr: KICK-EEZ
Softens Felt Recoil Prevents Cheek Bruising

Peel and stick to any cheekpiece and put an end to feeling beat up and sore the day after shooting. Genuine Sorbothane� recoil absorbing rubber is pre-cut with an adhesive back to fit quickly on hard-kicking shotguns or rifles. Three thicknesses allow fast comb height adjustments.

SPECS: Sorbothane rubber, black. 6" (15cm) x 5" (12cm), 1/16" (1.5mm), 3/16" (4.7mm), 1/8" (3.1mm), 1/4" (6.3mm) thick.

#440-703-116 1/16" Cheek-Eez $12.95/$6.00
#440-703-180 1/8" Cheek-Eez $12.95/$6.00
#440-703-316 3/16" Cheek-Eez $17.95/$9.00
#440-703-140 1/4" Cheek-Eez $18.95/$10.00

The first price is retail, the second is with the trade discount. Their web site is at:
www.brownells.com/

Take care and good shooting.

Holmes

[ 03-03-2003, 10:39: Message edited by: Holmes ]

<Big Stick>
posted
Holmes,

I like the Urban scheme pretty well,I think I have 3 or 4 of them now,in different stock patterns. Off the top of my head I recall the A2 pictured and a 25-284 700 short and a 30-8mmRemmag in the Remington Classic pattern,but it seems like I have another one too.

The T-series is fabulous,in my opinion. Though there are better optics,their tracking system is really superb. I crave a T-10.

I like the 100gr XLC in .257" and it is my go to bullet in the 25-06,25-06Ackley and 257Wby. It will also be my first choice,in the 257WSM.

That bullet has a very nice BC of .420 and is amazingly capable of smashing bone and wrecking havoc in general. It is certainly my first pick in a capacious 25cal,that is destined to be used upon Big Game.......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I thought the subject was poor man's? I know you can spend a lot more, but $1835 isn't a poor man's rifle in my book. My most expensive is my M70 Classic that I paid $600 for, kills deer fine, but I know you guys are going for optimum acuracy, someday when I don't have school loans, car payments and a mortgage, I'll get a poor man's LR rifle. [Smile]
Yardbird

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Holmes,
Nice looking rifle, you did good.
Where did you get lucky enough to find a used McMillan? I'm looking for a HTG or HBR for a 700 short action. Do you know where I could find one?

Rem. 222

Posts: 516 | Location: Ar. | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I've got a funny feelin',that the stock used to be mine............

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yardbird:
Hmmm, I thought the subject was poor man's? I know you can spend a lot more, but $1835 isn't a poor man's rifle in my book....Yardbird

Not a poor man's rifle, a poor man's LR rifle. Many of the LR hunters and tactical crowd invest $300 just in rings and rails. Scopes at $800+, etc.

This kind of outlay is well beyond my meager resources and so I had to penny pinch, shop the 'net, and learn to do a lot of the work myself. It is all too easy to sink $3K into a LR rig. This project also took me a couple of years as it is a "fun gun", as opposed to a higher priority hunting arm.

There is nothing wrong with your $600 rifle. On the contrary, that type of arm is the backbone of the hunter. I dearly love this quarterbore but, when it comes to gathering meat in the real world, I grab my old pre-64 375 H&H to do the job. It is a simple and effective tool, does not require specially prepped ammunition, and is much more versatile in the field.

Regards,

Holmes

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rem. 222:
Holmes,
Nice looking rifle, you did good.
Where did you get lucky enough to find a used McMillan? I'm looking for a HTG or HBR for a 700 short action. Do you know where I could find one?
Rem. 222

Thank you, 222.

I purchased my stock from a gentleman on another list.

Keep an eye on McMillan's Internet Special web page for good buys:

www.mcmfamily.com/mfsinc_n/net_special.htm

Also, Kelly McMillan is getting a bunch of "retired" M40A-1 stocks from the USMC and will be marketing them, some with bottom metal. They should be quite reasonable. Here is the link to the appropriate thread at the Sniper's Hide forum:

www.snipershide.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000904

If I come across anything else I'll give you a heads up.

Regards,

Holmes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Stick,

You seem to have a lot of experience with the 25s and I will certainly be trying that Barnes 100 XLC. I really like the Sierra 100 MK and their 117 SPBT but for long range antelope I'd rather have a premium bullet, especially one that offers such a nice BC.

A T-10 is on my list of "must haves" also but all the offerings I've seen were simply priced too high. My tricked out 10/22 really wants a T-10 [Smile]

My stock was purchased from a gentleman by the name of Chris Jamison. Whether he bought it new or used I cannot say. It may well have been in your stable at one time. He threw in the metal ADL guard which was a nice surprise.

What are your favourite powders for the 25/06?

Does the Barnes pill copper foul anymore than usual? And do they seem pretty consistent from one batch to another?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,

Holmes

posted Hide Post
Holmes,how much do ya want to spend on a T-10?

Posts: 2 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see some of us have differing definitions of "poor" . HehHehHeh........ [Big Grin]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Holmes, just checking to make sure I wasn't a little crazy about my opinion, thanks for the honest and polite reply, there are several others that would have snubbed their noses at me. Someday I'll have that LR rifle, right now it's all about gathering meat, although I did get a new .454 Casull barrel for my Encore in the mail last night...it'll be fun to play with, but ultimately it will be for harvesting Iowa whitetails. My next dream for the Encore is either a .20 PPC or .243 AI for varminting, it'll be at least a 26" barrel so I can get some sweet velocities!!!
Yardbird

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Holmes,

I though that looked like my stock. Chris(who is a great guy,as you mentioned) got it from me,some time ago. Glad to see it all finished and aboard a great rifle.

I like Re-19 and Re-22,depending upon bullet weight. For 100's,I like Re-22.

My preference is coated projectiles,in all diameters. That regardless of whether it is a play/practice bullet or a Game bullet. So I moly everything,except the XLC's. I've never had a fouling issue and I shoot the shit out of them.

Of course my preferences are high grade S/S barrels and their interior surfaces are far more precise and smooth,as compared to a Factory issued tube. But I shoot many X's in Factory barrels also.

The .257" 100gr XLC is a pretty magical combo in my opinion and had me abort much higher intensity cartridges that shot larger projectiles. That due to a Hot 25 with that bullet being so amazingly capable on critters,yet a bunch of fun to shoot. I much prefer the 257Wby to the 7STW and it is that projectile,that makes that preference.

It would suprise me none,that you could get 3450fps out of that length of barrel,with that projectile and you might do a smidge better. That velocity level,coupled with a .420BC,makes some very nice things happen easily. It is a wonderous melding of attributes and simply sinister on the receiving end.

My "luck" has been exceptional in all regards with that bullet and it includes lot to lot consistency. It is most certainly the first projectile I look at,when harvesting steaks is on the menu,aboard a Big 25cal................

one of us
posted Hide Post
Holmes,
Thanks for the tip on the used USMC stocks.
One of these days when I learn how to post a pic I'll show you my budget 600 Rem. wearing a McMillan HTG stock in marbled camo.

Rem. 222

<Big Stick>
posted

I'll spare you the misery of gawking at my 600 based 25-284 that wears a marbled Pink stock...............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Come on Stick show me. I live for misery, I'm married. [Smile]

Rem. 222

[ 03-05-2003, 04:02: Message edited by: Rem. 222 ]

<Big Stick>
posted
Married myself. Fact is,that is how I came to be the "proud" owner of a hot pink/black swirled Rem 600 based 25-284.

Needless to say,the Wife lost all color choosing rights,after that 'un(grin). I posted a picture a while ago,that had that rifle in it amongst others. I'll go see if I can't copy/paste that URL,so I don't have to dredge through Imagestation looking for it.............

<Big Stick>
posted
 -

The rifle is actually far more hideous in person,but it certainly has grown on me.

It is likely my favorite,but that ain't due to coloration!............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice collection Big Stick. I'm green with envy. What happened to the dog leg bolt on the 600? It looks like it has been replaced.

Rem. 222

<Big Stick>
posted
Never could like the dog leg handles,so I swapped them out for 700 handles on my 600's and XP-100.

One of these days I'll get around to taking a picture of all my favorite stuff in one heap.............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Stick,
The dogleg is the feature that I like about the 600's.
How big of heap are we talking about?
Rem. 222

[ 03-05-2003, 08:04: Message edited by: Rem. 222 ]

<Big Stick>
posted
Sadly,enough of a heap,that I honestly don't know the answer.

Some of my pards are sweet on the dogleg,but I guess I'm just too familiar with the typical 700 gear shifter,to wander too far away from it..........