THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Tips for coyote hunting please....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tips for coyote hunting please....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would appreciate any tips or information that anyone might care to offer about hunting coyote in the mountains of eastern Kentucky.
I read a lot of articles and such regarding tactics for coyote hunting in Utah, Nevada and the like. However, our terrain and conditions are very different here.
I must admit that I have never hunted coyote before, but I would like to give it a try. Coyote are abundant here and in fact, take a toll on many of the indigenous small game animals and some livestock.
I have a Thompson Center Pro Hunter in 22-250, which I reload for and shoots really well. But I am uncertain about calls and other such equipment that may or may not be needed to pursue such a sport.
I would like to hear any tips about tactics, equipment, skills and the like that out readership might have to offer. I appreciate any help and I thank you in advance.

Posts: 62 | Location: The mountains of east Kentucky | Registered: 21 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always make sure you have a shot downwind of the caller.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I like to bait a week or two before I shoot. I use road kill(in my area deer or sometimes even chicken). Hang it 30" to 3' off the ground. If they don't come a foxpro will get them close enough to smell the bait. The Eastern coyotes are different than the Western. Tony

Posts: 19 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With Quote