New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rock Chuck w/S&W 647
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I took my first Rock Chuck of the season today w/my S&W 647 about a 60 yd shot shooting down hill into Rock Creek.I held high w/first 2 shots and then saw the second hit over him in the creek.Third shot he took off for his hole in a big cottonwood but stopped short thats when I realized he was hit.4th shot he rolled over and his tail started quivering.I am going back up monday w/some bailer twine to see how far it actually was.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a video clip on another forum and in my email of rock chuck hunting with a Barrett Rifle in 50 cal BMG just saw pieces fly thru the air on a hit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gophershooter: I also had my Model 647 S&W along on my Varmint Safari today!
I was shooting on VERY level ground though and took several Ground Squirrels with it out to 80 yards or so.
Let me ask you again (if I already have) what scope you have on your 17 HMR revolver. I had a super deal come along on a silver Redfield that is ultra clear but only 4 power!
I am actively searching for another silver pistol scope of 3x9 power or something like that!
Good job on the Rock Chuck over in Rock Creek country!
I have a SUNBURN on my face after todays Hunt!
My pale assed skin was under the rim of my hats all day! Obviously I got some ricochet high altitude sun - I should have had my sunscreen along!
I just got home yesterday from two weeks out on the left coast and if anything my "tan" from the Montana winter "left me" while out there in Puget Sound country!
I have not harvested a Rock Chuck as yet with my Model 647 - mostly because I LOVE to Hunt Rock Chucks with my centerfire Rifles and don't have the patience you obviously had to get that close to a western Rock Chuck!
Good for you on the Chuck Bustin!
Keep after them!
Long live the 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG;My revolver has a Wiegand front sight and factory rear sight.My barrel was cut to 5 1/2 inches by Ben Forkin of White Sulphur Springs MT to make it more carry friendly.That is why i was surprised I was shooting over him holding high on his back.w/regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gophershooter: Thats right I remember now you had the barrel shortened!
I was out for a while again this morning whacking some local Ground Squirrels.
The 17 HMR would simply be the "best" Ground Squirrel round if it were not for the price!
I got my latest couple of cartons of Remington ammo last week for $85.00 per carton or $8.50 per 50 (no tax). In the past I have gotten this Remington ammo at times for right at $7.00 per box.
Thats 17 cents per shot at my latest pricing rate!
Pricey, but, that is a V-Max bullet heading down range every time I squeeze the trigger on one of my 17 HMR's.
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG;I am using Federal Premium v-shok ammo and so far it is the most accurate out of my S&W.I couldnt believe I shot over this chuck first two shots.I havent shot at targets with the Federal ammo just went out and started killing gophers and then this rock chuck.I got this ammo in Bozeman at Walmart and I think it was $8.00 a box.I couldnt agree more about it being the best gopher round.w/regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tail wag must be a marmot thing. Our groundhogs do the same thing on a fatal hit. I think they're waving a flag of surrender.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote