THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    What is your varmint gun wish list?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your varmint gun wish list?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here are mine:
1) 10/22 with extra barrel in H2
2) 19 Badger from Calhoon
3) Convert my Rem 700 22-250 to 6mmBR

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been building a varmint arsenal over they years and have most of what I want; 22RF's, 22 Mag, 22 Hornet, 222, 223, 22 BR, 22-250 and two 257 Roberts rifles.
I've read some very good things recently about the 6mm BR as far as accuracy goes, so that will be my next build/purchase.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
A transition M70 Winchester Hornet, NIB. Well, you asked!

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
I've been building a varmint arsenal over they years and have most of what I want; 22RF's, 22 Mag, 22 Hornet, 222, 223, 22 BR, 22-250 and two 257 Roberts rifles.
I've read some very good things recently about the 6mm BR as far as accuracy goes, so that will be my next build/purchase.

Don

I participated in a 200-300-600 yds shooting event locally a few years ago...

As all things, there was this intercore of guys who swapped around getting first place all the time...

But they cursed the existance of this young guy that would show up once in a while.. with a 6 BR shooting 107 grain Sierras and 108 Grain Lapuas... he cleaned everyone's clocks each time he showed up..it was a varmint weight barrel on a Rem VLS set up...

Another guy they cursed was this American Indian kid who would occasionally show up with a standard factory 260 Savage, with a cheap Tasco 4 x 16 Scope on it... and he would clean their clocks also...

The rest of these guys were shooting 300 Mags, with Leupold 8 to 25 scopes.. and/or the 36 to 45 straight power scopes from the Majors...

For accuracy, that 6 BR has a lot going for it..

on the 6BR forum site, they also show a lot of talk about the 6mm Dasher... and the 6mm XC...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
Here are mine:
1) 10/22 with extra barrel in H2
2) 19 Badger from Calhoon
3) Convert my Rem 700 22-250 to 6mmBR

Well that shouldn't be too hard of a set up to come by...

Boyd's had some stock and barrel combos in 17Mach2s for about $220.00 or so.. if you want to get one of those and sell me the stock.. let me know...

The Calhoon can be bought for less than a grand from Calhoon...and they even sell barrel kits if you have an action you want to use...

And then the 6 BR project, you ought to be able to turn that out in your shop..

seems to me that nirvana is closer for you than it is to many of the rest of us!

Still think you should get yourself a Savage, to switch barrels on easily... and maybe we should look at getting you a shooting trailer set up...

Then you can sleep comfortably in your Honda without having to unload it!

Ya also need to learn to pack lighter... 2 weeks worth of provisions for a 2 or 3 day varmint shoot is too much extra logistical work in my opinion...

More BOOM

AND LESS diggin things out of your car...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's a good sign for people who know what they are doing, they have everything they need and nothing more.

3 weeks ago, someone took three of five rifles from the back of my car when I went in the house. I don't know who was watching my movements, but I suspect the illegals doing landscaping next door.

I lost a 223 Ruger #1 standard that I replaced last night with a varmint.
I also lost a Ruger 10/22 that I am looking to replace.

one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
quote:
3 weeks ago, someone took three of five rifles from the back of my car when I went in the house. I don't know who was watching my movements, but I suspect the illegals doing landscaping next door.

Wow! Guess I take living up here in remote ol Maine for granted......thats a real bad piece of work on some ones part. Sorry to hear that......

My varmint gun wish list is about done. I have a savage 22-250 12bvss that shoots better than I can most of the time. Even lucked out and got a 4200 elite in 4x16 that tracks and holds poi most excellant....no parallex issues either. I'm building a 22-243 middlestead right now......OK, its just the hot rod kid still in me I guess. I installed and headspaced the barrel the other night,than a couple hours opening up the stock and floating the tang. Good camo paint job on the now bedded stock and a timney trigger/SSS recoil lug completed the basics. Soon as I can decide between a new sightron big sky or a conquest scope it will be off to the range. Lucked out as my gunsmith buddy has dies I can borrow and I have a lifetime supply of once fired winchester 243 brass laying around. Course I can always get a couple more barrels and play with more calibers........the 6mm dasher has really got my attention....

We got a guy like the Indian fella, shoots a basically stock varmint savage with a skim bed job and makes the rest just shake their heads....ahhh to be young and rock steady again.

woods

Savage ML'er....... a New Generation Traditionalist....... Thanks to Henry Ball

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure would like to run across a good custom, non-bench 6mm BR. Have seen several but being picky, I probably need to start my own project rifle.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HankinColorado
posted Hide Post
.222/35 on a Panda action, Hart barrel, Jewell trigger, Leupold 6.5x20, and HBR stock. Simple as that...

Hank

Life, it's good...

Posts: 225 | Location: Colorado Springs USA | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I lost a 223 Ruger #1 standard that I replaced last night with a varmint.
I also lost a Ruger 10/22 that I am looking to replace.

Cl,

that wasn't your Ruger Number one with the Burris 8 x 32 was it???

We have waaay too many illegal Mexicans in this country....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may have just completed my varmint gun list. A week ago I picked up a Savage Striker in .243 and topped it with a Burris 3x-12x. After sighting it in at the range for 100yds I hit the bean fields and my first groundhog kill was at 200yds.

I was in such a hurry I left my hearing protection in the truck Frowner

Note to self;
Ear plugs will last forever if you don't use them homer

If anyone has a favorite load using 75-87gr bullets I'd like to hear about it. I've got some 75gr Hornadys loaded I'm going to run through my chrono tomorrow morning. I believe it's got a 1-9.5 twist so I'd like to stay away from anything lighter than 75gr. It doesn't need to be a barn burner, just accurate.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good 22 mag semi auto for around the out buildings type work. When you got 4-5 coons running for cover I think that would be the ticket. Wish Ruger would bring theirs back....

Posts: 967 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 28 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got most of the calibers covered. Swifts, 22-250's, 223's, 17 Rem, 221 Fireball, Hornets, 204 Rugers, 22 LR's, 22 Mags, 1 243, 2 25-06's, and so on.

Am looking now for a 17 Fireball.

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want a T_3 varmit in 260 ss but they don't sell them here in the states.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got this one set up for Prairie Dogs....in 223.

Next one will probably be a Cooper....

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I lived in serious varmint country and/or I was a serious varmint hunter I would want a the Target/Match bbl in 223, 22/250 and 6.5x284, for my Blaser R 93.

I have shot prairie dogs with my sporter bbl on my R 93 with good results, but must admit the last time I shot prairie dogs I was with Mike, of North Fork bullets, and using his Winchester 1895 in 405 WCF, with factory Hornady 300 gr loads. shocker

I must admit it was a lot of fun....
The 405 really puts the hurt on them.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a replacement 10/22 yesterday.
I stripped it down, cleaned it, changed scope mounts, scoped it with a 2x7 Leupold, and magnetically bore sighted it.

My varmint guns and wants:

1) ground squirels, 10/22 with 2x7 Needs trigger job need to test fire.

2) ground squirels, Ruger #1 .223 needs a side focus scope with at least 20X and Keppinger trigger I have a 40X test scope on it to see if it needs rebarrelling, need to test fire.

3) ground squirrels, 19 Badger from Calhoon need to buy the gun, scope, bullets, brass, dies, and cleaning rod

4) prairie dogs, Rem700 6mmBR needs stock with large barrel channel, need to cut chamber, and buy side focus scope

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A guy on another forum had a 6mm BR built recently. He posted pix of his groups... UNBELIEVABE. Like .060 for 5 at 100.
That's what got me on the 6mm BR kick, plus I have a 22 BR.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
) prairie dogs, Rem700 6mmBR needs stock with large barrel channel, need to cut chamber, and buy side focus scope

Clark,

I have the tools to do that down here if I can be on assistance on that!

If it is a short action, maybe looking for a Rem VLS stock would be a easier route...

Or if you want something from Boyd's and have it shipped down here, I would be more than happy to finish it for ya! BOOM

cheers
seafire
beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
THE perfect varmint battery:

.204 Ruger
.222 Remington
25 WSSM

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,
Thanks for the offer, but I have broaches from Boeing Surplus that channel out stocks for big barrels in a flurry.

I just floated the new 10/22 barrel in a few minutes.

And yes, I bring too much stuff. But I have never actually seen you shoot your M70 22-250Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I'd like a Stevens 200 in 223, with a decent trigger and a camo paint job for rough country coyotes.

I'd also like the single shot Savage (model #?) with the heavy laminate straight forend and heavy fluted stainless bbl in a 6mm or 243 with a Jewell trigger. For prarie dogs, of course.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I have never actually seen you shoot your M70 22-250

I'll have to make you a picture then!

BOOM........ sofa

One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
I've got good varmint/predator gun coverage with a 204, couple of 22-250's, a 224 wby, and a 220 Swift, but the new Savage Predator Hunter in factory camo has really grabbed my attention. I might have to have one in .223 or another 22-250. Looks like a great "calling" gun and although I haven't owned a savage, the quality looks excellent for the price.

Anybody have one or fondled one yet??

Keith

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well.

I'm Mauser obsessed, so probably not qualified to comment.

I will say... we--the target rifle shop that is generous enough to employ me--are building a varmint/target rifle for the Executive Officer/Trapmaster at the club we all belong to.

6mmbr, Bat action, Bartlein Barrel, McMillan hunter class bench rest stock.

This is not for a target rifle nut.

But a guy who chases down Mulies wherever he can find them.

(Although I don't think he'll use this one for Mulies.)

It is true that I shot a better group than he did--6.5x55, 140 A-Max, 1909 action, Lothar Walther barrel (a rifle I built)--last year at our Varmint/Hunter 200 yd event.

In the Hunter class.

I would never have brought it up.

He's so good my friends ribbed him endlessly.

So yes.

Royally tempted to try 6mmbr, or perhaps 6.5x47, any good barrel (although I favor LW, and have a couple of Bartleins on order), a Barnard target action--my boss imports these--and some beautiful piece of walnut for a stock.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
waiting on a 204 barrel now for an AR build.

I did just buy another 22-250 Steven's though and added a Bushnell 10X40 on it. Steven's just make fine beater rifles, never have to worry about rain and mud Wink

For sure I'll own a 17 Fireball of some sort before August if brass is available.

I usually buy/build two varmint rifles a year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmm, sich an evil question. I'm a california resident, turned 18 post assault weapon ban and would kill for an AR

That being said I'd love a:
[LIST]
  • Volquartsen VG-1 in .17 HMR
  •  
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    And A
  • Sako Vixen in .17 k-hornet
  •  
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    And A
  • CZ 527 American in .17 Rem fireball with a match barrel
  •  
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    AND Finally
  • Cooper in just about anything Smiler awsome looking rifles, maybe a 22-250
  •  
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    The price of education has been very high for me. I have owned, and traded off both a triple-deuce and a 6mm Remington, actually more than one of each. The next one of each won't get away !

Posts: 420 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    A 17 Fireball was on my list untill last week when I found a Remington Mdl 700 Limited at a Sportsmans Warehouse north af Denver Colo. Now a scope, base ,rings,reloading dies,bullets,cases,and military sling are on my list.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Tyler Kemp
    posted Hide Post
    Shaw 6mm AI barrel for my Savage 110, should be better for varmints than my 7mm RM.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote