Find
Notify
Tools

Good night out
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted
A farmer asked me to assist him with problem jackal.

He has lost calves this past season to predation.

Saturday afternoon I arrived at the farm with about an hour of daylight left..

The farmer's son show me the lay of the farm and where the boundaries are.

I had the killing chair set up sorted just after sun down and I moved out to my stand location.

To make a long story short.

I called in and killed 9 jackal from that 1st stand.

Later that night called in another 2 at a different stand location.

The 222 Rem with the 36gr Barnes Varmint Grenade makes a deadly combination.

The VG's do not shoot through the jackal. This ensure I do not have to worry about the farmer's cattle down range I can not see in the dark...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a 22 mag would also be very good for this type of night time cull work and help minimize the chance of collateral damage or 17 hmr is a deadly little round iv killed alot of canadian 55-60 pound coyotes and a number of wolves in the 150-180 pound range and a crap load of beavers lynx bobcat and wolverine have fallen to the 17 hmr and 20 grain xtp and head shots.

i miss africa one day ill get back there hopefully

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nitro,

These jackal were shot between 50 and 250 yards at night with body shots.

I know the 22 Mag well and the 22 K Hornet even better and would not have made shots I did with the 222 Rem and 36g Barnes Varmint Grenades.

They are running at 3600fps.

I know only of a couple of 17HMR's in South Africa and ammo is very expensive and difficult to get a hold off.

All the best.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks like you done good. I'd say that was a fine evening's entertainment.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Good job of calling and shooing!

What did you use to call them in?

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
Good job of calling and shooing!

What did you use to call them in?

Bob

Hey Bob,

Long time ...

I use a Foxpro Spitfire.

This time of the year I use a mixture of food and jackal vocalization sounds to call them in.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

one of us
posted Hide Post
ahhh ok np yeah getting ammo in africa can be a toatle bitch some times the 22 is a great little rifle nice shooting and keep up the good work.

ps the 17 hmr will kill those jakels out to 120 yards cleanly with body shots they will run for about 20-30 yards but they will pile up. iv also used the 22 hornet to kill our bigger bodies coyotes out to 200 yards with hearth lung shots

can you use snares or traps like we can here in northamerica for taking furbearing animals/varmints? iv taken care of alot of cattle farms and setting foot holds and some snares made from 5/64 or 3/32 cable with a home made lock on it would be extreamly deadly

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 700 nitro:
ahhh ok np yeah getting ammo in africa can be a toatle bitch some times the 22 is a great little rifle nice shooting and keep up the good work.

ps the 17 hmr will kill those jakels out to 120 yards cleanly with body shots they will run for about 20-30 yards but they will pile up. iv also used the 22 hornet to kill our bigger bodies coyotes out to 200 yards with hearth lung shots

can you use snares or traps like we can here in northamerica for taking furbearing animals/varmints? iv taken care of alot of cattle farms and setting foot holds and some snares made from 5/64 or 3/32 cable with a home made lock on it would be extreamly deadly

I have shot close to 700 jackal with my 22K Hornet.

The best load I found was using a 45gr SP as I want the jackal to drop right there or run as little as possible... They can be hard to find at night in ankle high grass running 30 yards after taking the SP in the vitals.

The 36gr VG running at 3600fps out of the 222 Rem drop them on the spot every one I have shot till date with this combination.

Because I hunt a lot of different locations in Northern South Africa I have found that calling and shooting of these problem animals be the best as I am normally restricted to time and can spend at most two nights on a property depending on the size.

For this reason I have not used snares or traps to target jackal.

All the best from sunny South Africa.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gerhard.

Just don't use Lucky Bird over there. It is too close to your "Go Away Bird"...... Cool

Keep up the good work!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote