New
Find
Notify
Tools

October VHA Magazine
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just received my October 2,004 issue of the Varmint Hunters association Magazine and have just begun to peruse it! I will say this - I am VERY impressed AGAIN with this issue, #52.
As usual the photgraphy and colors are most pleasing and entertaining to me.
Lots of great looking articles including two on the 204 Ruger cartridge and other technical articles.
Hunting articles from New Zealand to New England to Africa will engross me for days!
Lots of new product articles and notices in this issue. Anyone interested in Varminting and accurate Rifles will be well served by subscribing to the Varmint Hunters Magazine.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
(Varmint Hunters Association Life Member #185)

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is truly a great magazine. I "discovered" it a few months ago and bought all the back issues they had! I'm still reading them.

Posts: 54 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy:

You could write for them. Try it.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just became a member, and I havent recieved my first issue as of yet, hopefully I will in the next few days. I wished I had not heard it was out yet, because now I will be rushing home from work to get it. I am still a novice to this sport, but I love it. I have a good mentor,(GHD for those of you who know him) who always seems to have some good advice when I have a "hair brained" idea... I have read a lot of his issues, and I agree it is a phenomenal magazine! I am hooked on Varmint Hunting, what can I say? Anyone know a place they would recommend to go prarie dog hunting in the midwest on a "blue collar" workers budget?

Posts: 157 | Location: SW Virginia | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MH, Mine hasn't come yet either!!! Bout tore the door off the mailbox today because I was expecting it!!! WASN'T THERE!!! Well I guess I'll tear the bolt out of the other side tomorrow!!! All my subscriptions to the "gun rags" have run out. No problem! I don't get paid to write and don't need to read "so much BS" to be informed!!! And a rifle that shoots 1.5" is not "sufficient" for me!!! As far as a bunch of the authors of the drivel in the popular ones go, been there, done that! Now the VARMINT HUNTER magazine is a different horse!!!! BEST MAG OUT THERE FOR FOLKS LIKE US!!!! Useful info, interesting stories, member pics, and great ads!!! MH, DO NOT LOSE MY BACK ISSUES I GAVE YOU TO PERUSE!!! I have some more if you need them! As far as the prairie dog shoot goes, rumor has it that a South Dakota trip could happen in 2005!! Why do you think all that brass is in my reloading room? GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I have been enjoying the lastest issue of VARMINT HUNTER as well. MarmontHunter, what part of the midwest do you call home. All of our pdog hunts are very low priced, that way we can go out more often .

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jb, Ole MH don't live in the midwest!!! He's about 1/2mile over the hill and through the woods from me.....and I'm in SW. VA!!!! I figure gas to get us there.....250.00. meals on the road.....100.00(depending on time we go, tomato sammichs will be a staple and we grow the maters so meal cost could be $50.00!!) Rooms....400.00 at most. Ammo used is not included in cost!! If we weren't blasting varmints with it, we'd be shooting paper so that money is spent either way!!! I'm figuring a 5-7 day shoot on the outside at $1400.00! How far wrong is that!!??? Beats the hell out of a $6000.00 Elk or Caribou hunt where you pop 2 caps at most!!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi VarmintGuy:
Haven't recieved my VHA magazine yet, usually about 2 weeks behind everyone else out here on the west coast. Will probably show up opening weekend for razor clam digging, about mid October. Glad to see the .20 caliber is working out for you......

one of us
posted Hide Post
GD, I'd say you are pretty close on price. We cut corners as much as possible when we go out as far as room and meals. We are lucky enough to have about 600 acres of private land to shoot on and we just pull a pop-up out to sleep in and fix two meals a day right there( don't have time to eat lunch, too many dogs!). Used to sleep in a tent until one of the guys got a back rub from a snake one night, end of that. Let me know if you will be anywhere close to Kansas when you go out.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AnotherAZWriter: Thanks for the kudos there AZ. I may send them an article here someday and see what is what.
Like others have said on this thread the VHA magazine is really up my alley and first rate in my opinion.
I wish them continued success!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
there is a story in oct. issue of 2 hunters from the east driving out west for pdogs. spent $650 for 11 day trip.

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael_WA: RAZOR CLAMS! One of the few things I miss about the Pacific Northwest is a good old Razor Clam Fritter Fry! OOOWWWEEEE!
Well anyway welcome to the AR Forum and the Varminting thread!
Yeah I really like the pair of 204's I have now! I have a friend in from Germany and we saw several Coyotes today but alas he is a fly fisherman and we were high in the Rockys fishing a splendid stream with Grayling and Cutthroats in it! We also saw tons (and I literally mean that!) of Antelope along with Mulies and Whitetails and a Moose! But the Antelope were everywhere still doing some rutting and lots of running.
I wish I would have had one of my 204's along to smoke up a couple of those Coyotes but my friend leaves for Germany on saturday and I better stay focused.
Again welcome to the forum.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Arizona's right about writing-- heck there's a lot of talent here that's missing out on opportunity, IMO.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GHD, I've been going out P. D. hunting for the past 9 years...Hunted in Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota...For the past 3 years, I've been hunting in SW S.D.. Last year, I hunted in a town that was 9 miles long and 4 miles wide.. Probably the best hunting I've had so far....Where are you planing to go??/ If I can help, let me know....George

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote