Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm/250 ackley
 Login/Join

posted
I have this reamer, a Lilja SS barrel and a Sako All action and am thinking of building a varmint rifle. Has anyone had any experience with this caliber? Would I be better off picking a different 6mm caliber?

Ken

Posts: 5 | Location: North Idaho | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I'm going with 6mmAI, it's real fast, and burns throats slower than 243 AI which is slower. There's some people on here with more experience in 6mm's, but I guess 6mm-250 AI would probably be as deadly as a 22-250, which is a classic.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the twist rate on the barrel?? What grain bullet's are you wantimg to shoot?? Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent cartridge. Use a 1/8 twist and it's a super LR choice. 105 amax or 107 sierra at 2900 fps.

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It is a 14 twist rate.I have had it for about 13 years I think I was planning on building a 6PPC at the time.Next one will be a 6.5 with a fast twist.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that stabilize the smaller bullet's like the 75 grain pill?? If I was wanting to shoot a 75 grain pill I think I would stay with the 22-250. I think the 75 grain A-Max has a better BC in the 22 caliber. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that stabilize the smaller bullet's like the 75 grain pill?? If I was wanting to shoot a 75 grain pill I think I would stay with the 22-250. I think the 75 grain A-Max has a better BC in the 22 caliber. Tom.

You are right think I will put this aside for a for a Bench rifle some day and get a faster twist barrel for the Sako action.Thanks for the input

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mine has an 8" hart bbl. it essentially is a 243 with a couple grains less powder current load is 35 gr of H414 and a 100 gr bullet. No it is not a barrel burner, rather is easier on the barrel than is a 243. fun thing to play with but in reality it is a 243. david tubbs likes it alot

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am using a 6mm-250AI in long range competition. It is based on a RPA Quadlite action with an 8 twist barrel and I shoot 105 Bergers at 3230 fps and 115 Tubbs at 3,000 fps. Ballistically it is about the same as 6.5-284 with the 142 SMK. I haven't got enough rounds through it to tell how long the throat is going to last, but bullets still seat at the same depth as they did 700 rounds ago. I got my chamber by using a .243AI reamer and holding it .130 short. I bought 243AI dies and cut .130 off the bottom and was ready to go. As a varmint rifle it should do great. You ought to be able to push a 60 grainer at around 3500/3600fps or more using the 500 series of VV without any problems. I think it's a really neat little wildcat!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 836 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We used a 'standard' 6/250 for a few years. Excellent round. It dramatically outperformed the parent 22/250 (which rarely came out of the safe once the 6mm appeared). Using a 1:10 barrel we mostly shot Sierra 70 gr Blitzkings.

Posts: 106 | Location: Oz..... | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KRLemas:
You are right think I will put this aside for a for a Bench rifle some day and get a faster twist barrel for the Sako action.

ConfusedYou said you wanted a varmint rifle. That barrel would be great for 58gr. thru 75gr and maybe a little higher. It should at least equal the performance of the .22-250 and than some. Sounds like you really got what you were looking for. shockerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How about the 6XC....37 grs of 4350 & a 107 SMK @ 2900 fps....8 twist Pac Nor....

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote