New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the 220 swift dead again?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have always wanted a 220 swift and better grab a Ruger Target version in it before they are gone.I dont know who even chambers them any more with Ruger and winchester stopping making them.I have seen a few of the stainles Winchesters but I think the Rugers are a way better gun.I gotta find one new in the box so I dont get a worn out one that looks new.I think the 220 swift is a awesome gun.I know where a 220 swift with a 24" barrel is for cheap but I think thats too short a barrel for it and defeats the purpose.I better get to looking before they are all gone.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DGR I am pretty sure that Remington is making a 220 swift at the moment also. Although the 220 swift is not as popular as some of the other 22 centerfires I believe it is long a long way from being dead.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
There are some who'd have you believe that the Swift has been dead on its feet for decades -- and yet somehow, the old .220 keeps hanging on.

While I am more a fan of the 22-250, I must admit that the .220 Swift is a fantastic cartridge and a classic varminter. I've never suffered short case life or any other problems with the Swift, though I don't push the envelope, either (a 55 grainer at 3800 fps still shoots plenty flat for any of my purposes).

If you can't find a rifle chambered for the Swift, you can always rebarrel, rechamber or get a nice custom barrel for the Encore.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 Remington Swifts. They are still building it in the VSSF. I wish they would build it in the LVSF.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It is currently made in the Remington Model 700â„¢ VS SF II

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_r...0_VS_SF_II_specs.asp

Spring has sprung, da' creek has riz, I wonder where dem kitties is?
Here kitty kitty kitty...
NRA Life Member 1965

Posts: 5 | Location: Central Connecticut | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the swift too
seems as though the good ones always hang on

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in a local shop last week, There were 2 used 204's that were traded in on 220 Swifts by guys that expected more out of them!

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dgr416,i owned an older style 77v 220 swift made by ruger,she was a shooter,sold her to a good friend after i bought another ruger77 butter-knife bolt handle,(earlier,older action)that had a custom cut rifled barrel,also in 220 swift,iv''e not played with it enough but the seller had made up manny reloads that showed she really could cut the mustard, tried on other ruger varmit new style 243 winchester,it was used but in new shape that rifle would only do 3/4 inch at 100 yards, so i traded it off,buy what you want,i saw how a new remington 220 swift ss/fluted barrel syn-stock shot 1st hand it was 1/4 better than my old style 77v swift ruger,now that ruger makes it own barrels this mite change, talk 2 people that own both and shoot a LOT....i think 26 inch barrels rule.....good luck and regards jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hairtrigger:
I was in a local shop last week, There were 2 used 204's that were traded in on 220 Swifts by guys that expected more out of them!

Hairtrigger, I can attest to that. I was one of those 204 shooters for a year. I wanted to see how it faired against my Swifts for calling. After several runners and a lost cat I sold the 204 and bought another Swift. The Swift rules !!!!

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
I have always wanted a 220 swift and better grab a Ruger Target version in it before they are gone.I dont know who even chambers them any more with Ruger and winchester stopping making them.I have seen a few of the stainles Winchesters but I think the Rugers are a way better gun.I gotta find one new in the box so I dont get a worn out one that looks new.I think the 220 swift is a awesome gun.I know where a 220 swift with a 24" barrel is for cheap but I think thats too short a barrel for it and defeats the purpose.I better get to looking before they are all gone.

Why does it have to be a factory Swift chambered rifle? Buy a donor action and have your favorite gunsmith chamber it to 220 Swift.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Mine isn't.Ruger with the tang safety shoots better than I do.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesSeems to be staying alive on this thread for some time. dancingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not dead but probably on its last legs. Most guys if they want a super go fast .22 they buy a 22/250 and run a 22/243 or 22/6mm reamer through it. Very easy and cheap conversion.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which swift should I get.Its getting hard to find good unfired Rugers in model 77 .I am thinking about the heavy barrel new model.My cousin had a old ruger 77 in 220 swift .He fired a .125 group wth it once.It wads an awesome gun.He shot the barrel out parrie dog hunting.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Yeah the poor old Swift!! I have a Ruger 77 V old style tang safety, that is on its second Ruger barrel. My dilemma, I get it out of the safe once a year to verify where it shoots, did that on Tuesday, fired three shoots, all in one hole, under .250". Does it just about every time I shoot it on paper. I then drag it out to shoot p-dogs, about a month later, and it chuncks them nicely. It's so reliable, it sits in the safe too much.

We have 3 Swifts in our family, the Ruger, and 2 Remington 700V- what evers, and they are all excellent shooters. I favor the older Ruger, but you can't go wrong with a Remington either.

Buy one or build one, you can't go wrong! Oh and by the way, if you really wan't to drive the bullets, very fast, and don't care about case life, it will keep up with just about any 22.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not sell my old tang safety Ruger 220 Swift but I like the Win 223 WSSM round and would get it before purchaseing an other Swift.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hopefully.

A mildot reticle brings the .223 on par with the .220 swift, and a .220 generates too much heat for prarie dog hunting, cutting the rate of fire by more than half.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been looking for a good tang safety ruger 220 swift heavy barrel forever .They are very hard to find.I have seen a few new winchester model 70s but I would rather have a tang safety ruger 77 ten to one.I cant get the safety off of a winchester fast enough to shoot wolves or coyotes .I can shoot my ruger 77s like a fine double barrel shotgun.I shot a hudge coyote with my 338 win mag in my ruger model 77 tang safety.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both of my swifts make a lot of PDs dead, but I think the cartridge is alive & well.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
dgr416

I saw a tang safety, heavy barrel Ruger 220 Swift several weeks ago down in Laramie, WY. I can check if they still have it. Asking $500, but it did look good.

I called about 6 shops in MT yesterday and everyone is sold out on Swift brass. Price is going up and I see $42 in local shops.

I think the Swift will hang on like the other must have classics such as the Whelen, Roberts and 7mm Mauser.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Tuck:

Her is a couple of things to consider, when choosing a 223 WSSM over a 220 Swift.
One of my best friends bought a 223WSSM in a Winchester Coyote, a couple of years ago. Very nice rifle. During our testing, and while shooting groups, it does NOT go downrange as fast as the Swift, with equal bullet weights, and it is very hard to open the bolt with FACTORY AMMUNITION.Just a couple of things to consider. The bolt thing gets to be a pain on a hunting trip.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of West
posted Hide Post
Shhhhh! Don't tell my Cooper MTV, or the custom 220 that my Dad built up some 50 years ago, that they are dead. I have two 204's and love them both. Do they replace the Swifts, not in my opinion. They are different. By my arithmetic, the Swift is 72 years old this year. When the new calibers, say the 204, 223 WSM, or whatever, reach that age, lets talk some more.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.

Posts: 41 | Location: Aurora, CO | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I wanted a varmint rifle, I'd go with a Cooper as well. I think they still chamber them in .220 Swift.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, but there is nothing that brings the .223 on par w/ the swift. It is true that it is really not the best in a metropolis of little rodents, but it is excellent as you pick and choose some of those reaching shots to 400 & 500 yards and further, in a way that the .223,.222, et al, just can compare (especially if your swift has a fast twist barrel w/ 70 gr. + bullets).

In the dog fields, I'm replacing all my .223 w/ .204. Shooting them side by side the .204 is supeior in all situations from distance to wind drift. Yet, there is always going to be a "big" .22 of some sort for shooting "chucks" at extreme distances and coyotes. (Though my next one will probably be an 22-250 Imp set up for the 75gr. A-max).

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
My 1949 M70 Swift standard grade hasn't got the word that it is dead yet. Maybe it should talk it over with my 1947 M70 Hornet and it's twin 1947 Roberts in my gunsafe. I will gladly be the pallbearer for any dead ones you have!

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have never had a problem with the 220 Swift in the prairie dog towns.

Usually keep ten or more 220 Swifts going all the time -- a couple of older Ruger 77V Liberty Models, a newer Ruger target model, a couple of Savage 112V Series J single-shots, a Remington 700 factory, a Remington 700 custom job, etc.

The prairie dogs seem to appreciate the Swift. They always jump high when it speaks.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 223 WSSM made it obsolete

Posts: 257 | Location: The Greatest Country on Earth! | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seems as though when you have been on top for so long you always have young upstarts poking at you

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScudRunner:
The 223 WSSM made it obsolete

bull

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
quote:

Hopefully.

A mildot reticle brings the .223 on par with the .220 swift, and a .220 generates too much heat for prarie dog hunting, cutting the rate of fire by more than half.

Dan, if you forget the mildot reticle, what do you use if you want to reach our further than a bloody 223 mouse gun? Wink

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

I haven't researched to see if anyone is chambering a swift lately. But it's far from dead. As long as you can buy brass for it, it's alive and well. Brass is only a mouse click or phone call away. It seems to be the .22 that all others are measured by.

I have a Ruger thats killed literally thousands of ground squirrels,and its fair share of coyotes. When I shoot it on paper about once a year you can still cover five shots with a dime. My newer Ruger and Remington 700 classic will do the same thing.

They do get hot. Thats why I always take two when I go shoot squeeks. I wish there was prarie dogs closer to here.

Regardless of what the doubters say, if you want one you should have it. Maybe even two or three!

Posts: 28 | Location: Central Point OR. USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang I always wanted a 220 swift now I cant find one.I did find a Mark II ruger 77 with a 24" barrel but I think that I need a 26" barrel to get the most out of the swift.The 220 swifts are drying up very fast.Its getting almost impossible to find them.I gotta get some more of the creap once fired brass I found.I have about 300 pcs of once fired Norma brass.I think the 220 swift is an awsome caliber .I want a heavy barreled Ruger 77 in the target model.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Swift is alive and well. Remington offers the M700 Varmint and Norma offers brass. You can always build one.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I will buy that 24" sporter barreled 220 swift until I find a targt model one.They just disapeared.If any one sees one in a gunshop please tell me.

posted Hide Post
Food for thought - the .220 swift generates around 3800 fps generally for about 53,000 c.u.p. while the 22-250 generates around 3700 fps for about 51,000 c.u.p. Consequently the new .233 WSSM generates high 3800's for muzzle fps with a whopping 63,000 c.u.p. So if your after max muzzle vel. and low pressure the swift seems to be running right there with the best of them. just my 2 cents.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage still lists them, and with a 12" twist. IIRC they can be ordered with a 9" twist for those beautiful JLK/Sierra/Nosler 80gr HP's.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rugar Still makes the M77 II in the target grey model in 220 swift.One of my favorite calibers.Just bought my son One last Christmas in 220 swift and they shoot 3/8'' and 5/8'' constitantly with 55 gr.sierra fodder!I can tell you from years of gun show experiance, almost everybody is in the market for the swift or has one.My humble experiance has shown me that the 220 swift is inhearantly accurate and fast as all get out!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a Swift in my Varmint battery for more years than I can remember. Right now I've got put away in the safe a Rem Mod 700 VSSF, Ruger No 1V and a Ruger Mod77, all in Swift.

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote