New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 12 FLVSS stock source
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I traded my Ruger#1 22-250 in for a Savage left handed varmint in 223, I guess I should change my screen name.
In any case, does anyone know of a good source for a varmint style drop-in (100%) stock for it? I checked with H-S Precision, Choate and McMillan with little luck. HS and Choate don't list any stocks for it and McMillan says that Savage is so close to a Rem 700 that they use the same stock. I'm kinda skeptical about that one.
Altho I haven't taken delivery of the rifle yet, I have read reviews that compared the Savage synthetic stock to a "2x4 strapped to the action", and some folk saying that it is too flexible in the forearm so I'm anticipating wanting to change it.

Thanks,
Ruger#1 (Soon to be 12FLVSS if it isn't taken already)

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Try Sharp Shooter Supply. They do some pretty spectacular things with Savage rifles.

http://www.varminthunters.com/sshooter/

Bell and Carlson also advertise an after market stock for the heavy barrel Savages, but I don't know if they have it left hand. Good luck ... Mike

one of us
Picture of bigbore50ak
posted Hide Post
Give this a try dont no anything about them but id like to try one. jason
http://www.lockstock.com/ under stocks look at stockade stocks.

Posts: 142 | Location: indiana | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Much thanks, found a couple there. Anyone have experience with either the Stockade or Sharpshooter stocks? I like the looks of both of those. The Bell and Carlson stocks are about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the other two and they didn't seem to have a picture so...

12FLVSS

posted Hide Post
I just bought a 12fvss as well. I wouldn't compare the stock to a 2x4, because the 2x4 has some rigidity to it. The stock is really crappy! I've been thinking about replacing mine as well, but haven't made any decisions.

Anyway, you can see the Bell and Carlson stock here: http://www.bellandcarlson.com/duramaxxsavfinal.pdf

Let us know what you decide and how you like it.

Posts: 9 | Location: GA | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
12,I put a Sharp Shooter Varmint Thumbhole stock on my 12FVSS in May.Took it out to Colorado with me on a Prariedog shoot.SharpShooter installed the stock.Nothing but praise for them.I would highly recomend it.

Posts: 112 | Location: Salisbury Mills,NY,USA | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just put a Bell and Carlson on my 10FP. I'm happy with it. Anything was an improvement over what came with it. The price was right too. I got it from Lock, Stock,& Barrel for around $120.

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Embalmer>
posted
The McMillans are a drop in even though they are made for Remy 700 actions. They will work great. I have seen a few of them done this way and work very well. Plus you can not beat a MCM stock no matter which way you look at it.

You can even get the new A-5s for Savages.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered Sharpshooter's Varmint/Tactical stock, Slate in color with a black webbing design. I'll let you know how it is when it gets here. I can't wait it to get here. I just gotta find someone to bed it for me, there is nobody here locally that does it.
In regards to the Savage stock, it wasn't even a truely left handed stock, you could plainly see where they plugged a right handed bolt slot and recut it on the opposite side.

later,
12FLVSS

[ 08-02-2003, 19:22: Message edited by: 12FLVSS ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cabelas has theBell and Carlson for 89 and 99 $$.for the heavy barrels.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Update: I decided on the Sharpshooter Supply Varmint/Tactical stock, slate grey with a black webbing design. I am very pleased with what I got. It's attractive, rock solid on the rest and 100% drop-in. I couldn't find anyone here locally to bed my action into it so I am shooting it as is. I am about half done with my test loads and my best 3 shot/100yd group so far is about 1/4" with H335 and 40gr Vmaxs. Of the 10 loads I've shot so far, 8 were 3/4" and under. The remaining 2 I blew with 1.25" and over 2", I'll need to reshoot them without so much coffee running thru me. [Smile]

Good shooting,
12FLVSS

[ 08-25-2003, 17:31: Message edited by: 12FLVSS ]