THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    223 WSSM Accuracy? /// Also interested in 243WSSM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 WSSM Accuracy? /// Also interested in 243WSSM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You guys with the fast and nasty stuff, I am thinking about another caliber. How are your 223 WSSM's for accuracy? As good as the 223 and 22-250? What other avantages do you like? Thanks, jb

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Good to see you are still out there. The .223WSSM seems to be a bit more accurate than the 22/250(marginal). I don't have one, but have worked with a friend that purchased one and wanted help with the reloading. The only BIG problem I see with the .223WSSM's are the rifles they come in. If you don't like what you have, you can't rebarrel for any of the longer cartridges. This may not be a big deal, but you are sure locked in.
On the other hand if you built one on a standard action I see nothing wrong with it. Others have said the short action is faster to cycle, but the difference is not going to change whether you get a follow-up shot on a coyote, or not.
The .223WSSM is certainly a "barn burner", so if you like it, "go for it"

Cheers

,,,,,,just the way I see it

Posts: 79 | Location: Colorado (out in the sticks) | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My M70 Coyote .223 WSSM is more accurate than any .22/250 or .220 Swift I ever had. I like the WSSM's and I don't think we have seen the best from them, the best is yet to come. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to comment on accuracy but a word about scope bases for the Browning or Winchester WSSM's. Leupold does not offer a base for these rifles either 1 piece or 2 piece. We (my dealer) got 4 of the Brownings in (2 each in 223 and 243) and yesterday had a customer who got one and wanted Leupold bases. No such thing! I called Leupold and was told they are not planning on these anytime soon and if they did make them it would probably be fall 2004 before we saw them! Order the Burris bases (2 piece only) if you want to use those type of rings(dovetail) or also Warne is making bases for these two! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote