New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weaver Scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone use one of the newer Weaver scopes they seem to be well made and i was thinking about buying one any opinions?

Posts: 110 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
To get the equivalent of the Weaver Grand Slam in a Leupold you would have to go to the Vari X III, at three times the cost...

You bet they are good scopes, seemingly some of the sturdiest being made these days.

The standard "V" series Weavers are also reported to be good, though I can't comment first hand on those as of yet.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two Grand Slams and like them every bit as much as my Leupolds, Burris, and Sightrons.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i have four of weaver scopes. a 2-7 pistol scope on a t/c, two v24 scopes on varmint guns and a t36 on a br rifle. i love weaver. other than leupold, my guns wear nothing else.

Posts: 21 | Location: dallas,tx | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
weaver scopes are good.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I have a Weaver V3 1-3X20mm scope on my 416 rem. It is nice and bright, clear, and sharp. I like it very much. The adjustments are very sharp and precise, and it looks great too. Very sturdy, has taken 55 ft-lbs of recoil for at least 75 shots, and it has held up great.

My next scope will be a Weaver V9 or a K4. They are much lighter than a Bushnell 3200, while still having good optics.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turkey hunter: I use a Weaver V-16 on a custom Varminter I have. The Rifle is in caliber 243 Winchester. I bought this 4X16 Weaver as a trial so to speak! I was looking for a way to save money on my scope purchases! And in the back of my mind I was buying it knowing I would probably not be happy with it on my centerfire Varminter and would end up putting it on one of my Ruger heavy barrel 10/22's. The Weaver worked so well on the 243 Varminter that it is still there! I like the Duplex reticle and the adjustable objective works well. The scope (and the Rifle) hold point of aim from year to year. As I recall I bought the scope in 1998. So this has been my fourth year with it. Its optical clarity is about 96% - 97% as clear as my high power Leupold variables. I have used it in very cold conditions Hunting Coyotes but it has never been used in the rain or snow so I can not speak to its weatherproofing. At the time I bought the Weaver V16 I got it on a super friendly wholesale kind of deal. I paid $197.00 for it. At the same time I bought this scope I bought 3 other V16's for friends. Two had the fine crosshair with dot and the other was another Duplex style crosshair. My friends have all been happy with their Weavers also. Often times when shooting a Rifle with a new scope on it I will intentionally check the windage and elevation adjustments for appropriate movement. I did not do this myself with my Weaver but one of my friends did this check and was satisfied with the Weavers adjustments. The last time I saw one of these V16 Weavers I was scope hunting but the price for the Weaver led me to go back to Leupold again. I forget the price then for the Weaver V-16 but the current Midway catalog lists it at $280.00.
Hope this helps.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turkey hunter: As I was just lookng in my Midway catalog I got to comparing the Weaver Grand Slam 4.5X14 variable with the Comparable model Leupold 4.5X14 - the prices are $343.00 for the Weaver and $499.00 for the comparable Leupold. So that is $156.00 more for the Leupold! I have never had anything to do with the Weaver Grand Slam line but I do own a 4.5X14 Leupold. It is a sensational scope! I can not say if it is worth $156.00 more than the Weaver for sure but I will repeat, the Leupold 4.5X14 is a sensational scope.
Good luck with whichever you choose!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
I have a Weaver V16 w/ the duplex reticle that rides on my .223 Rem bolt rifle. I've had the thing about two years, w/ no problems. Hell, I even took it *off* the .223, and put it on the .308 Win for a HighPower match, and for deer season, since I was having difficulties w/ another scope.

About the only grip I have w/ the scope is the turrets are 12 minutes per revolution, vs. the normal (for 1/4 MOA clicks) 15. Other than that, it works awesome, looks good, and keeps on ticking, w/ a great price tag to boot. BTW, that is one thing I did like about the V16 vs a Grand Slam: That it *did* have target turrets. Nice to have for a reference if you dial the scope to the range, rather than holding over.

HTH,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote