THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Why is there a crow season in some states?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is there a crow season in some states?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been wondering this for years...Why do they put on season on vermin such as these? Hell a dog won't typically pick one up after it has been shot!!!

Make every shot Count!!!

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I've been asking about this lately,,not only is there a season,,you're not supposed to shoot them on monday,tuesday,or,wendsday!! Due to the national migratory bird act,,and It's some relative of the national bird of mexico,infact I was told that mexico requested a total ban on shooting them,but,our ever concerned for what we want, repesentatives figured it would'nt go over too well with enough people to support such a ban,,sooooooooooo pissers I've decided they gotta catch me first,,and are they really going to try to prosecute me for shooting one on monday? Screw'em,,Kill'em All!!!!Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Our season starts the first Saturday of December and runs for the next 124 days (this year April 19th) and our limit is 24 crows per day.

Weird huh?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
If you made your bag,,every day of the season,,that would be 2976 less crows in the world.Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Crows are one thing I will never shoot!

As a poultry farmer I have a lot of predator trouble. Hawks are just one of the many out there who want a free chicken dinner. Mad

I learned quickly that the crows will attack and swarm the red tail hawks the minute they get near the farm if I keep a food source out there for the crows. So, since I butcher my own deer, I put the remaining carcasses out in the pasture for the crows as well as the other predators I shoot during the year.

My chickens are happier and so am I!

It's neat to use nature against itself. I just witnessed them today harrass a hawk so much it finally flew off screaming bloody murder. clap

So, all the crows are welcome here. I even have one or two that have white wings. They look really cool. cheers

~Ann

Posts: 19545 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's funny about Maryland!! Here in VA we can shoot them on Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat!! Not Tuesday and Thursday!! I guess we shoot the hell out of them and then they fly across the state line and you get them on the other days!!
The old laws used to say, "crows are legal anytime they are (going to) or (coming from) and act of predation". Now that's pretty much the life of a crow!! Either he's tearing up plants(corn) or returning from it!! Or whatever else he has found to eat on!!! Now we get them on limited days and from Mid August to Mid March!! (Season ends here on March 18) unless one of the hapless bastards happens to be spotted during any other varmint hunting time!!
And about the hawks.........22-250's and big fluffy white chest feathers do an explosion make!! Then the "3 S rule comes into play! "Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up!!" GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Who the heck knows.

Here in Oregon all you need is a valid hunting license ($22.50) with and upland bird validation ($6.50), crow validation (free), and Harvest Information Program validation (free). The “season†loosely follows upland bird season, but I have never heard of anybody being hassled for shooting crows anywhere, anytime.
There is no actual season listed for crow hunting.

From the ODFW 2005-2006 Synopsis:
All birds except starling, house sparrow, and rock dove are protected by federal and/or state laws. Federal regulations provide that no permit is needed to control crows, blackbirds, cowbirds, and magpies when found committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance.

While they say a shotgun is required to shoot all game birds (including crows), most of the guys I know shoot on private land and use 22’s or 22 caliber CF’s, nothing like the p-o-o-f of a crow from 300 yards.
Hey, where did Joe go? Big Grin

Pretty loose regs. I don’t think the control officers really care how you shoot them.
But there’s always a first time…

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
We have a crow season, and as a land owner,
we can dispatch crows "doing damage, or about
to do damage"...That just about makes them
open season all year for me..."They were about to
poop on my trees, Mr. Warden". The only rub,
is there use to be no restrictions on how varmints
were dispatched. But now, with the "crow
season", where they have to be taken with a
shotgun only, as varmints, they can only be
taken with shotguns...legally. My dog found one,
about 100 yards away from my shop, that looked
like a high velocity centerfire rifle hit it, and blew
a big chunk out of it's back...Now I wonder which
of my neighbors is shooting crows with a rifle Eeker

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My crow season runs the last 365 days of the year.

I have seen crow rob quail nests and take young quail on the fly. I have also witnessed them walking down a row of sweet corn and pulling the sprouts from the ground just to be doing something.

To me there are few things as sweet as wounding the first one and then killing 5 or 6 more as they swarm around the wounded one.

They are smart and adapt to your habits very quickly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crows come under the migratory bird acts, thus they are under the control of the US Government. That says it all.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand that a north american migratory bird treaty limits the season to 124 days a year. Individual states determine which 124. Here in PA its Friday, Saturday, and Sunday most of the year. The nesting season is closed.

Crow hunting with an electronic caller is a hoot.

http://www.crowbusters.com/

Check out this forum.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
This has turned out to be quite the can of worms,,Quite interesting!!Too many rules to adhere by,,KILL'EM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Clay www.AnyDayOfTheWeek.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure about now but Ohio used to have crow season Thursday thru Saturday June thru January or something very simular
Always sounded crazy to me.

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found it!

Fri thru Sun June thru March

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/regs/seasons&baglimits.htm

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Where abouts in oh. Hairtrigger? medina/wayne/lorain co's used to be my stomping ground,,
Clay

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if it's still in the laws or not.

But, here in CO, used to be a season on prairie dogs too. Closed in the spring during pup hatching months. Don't want the pups dying for lack of momma's milk, wait til they are out of the hole then shoot 'em.

New laws a few yrs old closed on ALL public lands due to anti's getting laws passed claiming they are an endangered species of all xxxing things!

Not normally many crows out here, not like some of the other states.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6001 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a season here in March then sometime in the summer. Kind of nice that you have something to hunt all year long as it fills in the spaces between small game and the rest of the seasons.

For awhile they couldn't be hunted on public land in March here, but it looks like that's been done away with. It's a lot of fun, but a bit of work as they are sneaky ba$tards.

I'd shoot them anytime on private land with no worries here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our season just ended... March 3rd...Of course I didn't realize this when my brother blasted one out of a tree on March 4th....Wind wasn't blowing much but it was a decent 150 yd shot...Used my 204....32 grainer....Crow flew away in several directions...I hate it when the get away...lol

beer

Make every shot Count!!!

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by claybuster:
Where abouts in oh. Hairtrigger? medina/wayne/lorain co's used to be my stomping ground,,
Clay

Way up in the NW corner of the state

FLATLANDS

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
You're not joking about that Hairtrigger!! Clay

One of Us
posted Hide Post
clay, i live in wayne county...

tell me more, man...where exactly did ya live? i am in wooster.

-Matt

Posts: 285 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 12 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mjbgalt, I spent a summer in Lodi, Ohio!! Working on dairy farm!! Y'all had a few grundhogs up that way(few less after was there!!) an a helluva of proliferation of Red Tailed Hawks!! Never, anywhere else in this land, have I seen so many redtails!!! Still like that????? I seem to remember some of them had wingspans over 53"!!! (Hard to get them still enough to measure!!!) GHD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I know, is that if you were out shooting sage rats... and move about 300 yds away from where you shot a lot of them....

You now have the opportunity to shoot crows as they are there feeding on the mutilated sage rats....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
same as always, GHD. good to know someone here who has shot the relatives of my targets Wink

-Matt

Posts: 285 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 12 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I grew up in chatham,,medina co. next to the black river,,about a 1/2 mile south of rte 162,,damn near went through lodi every day.Went to coledge at the osu campus in wooster.Clay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Our federal "burro-crats" are responsible due to a treaty with Mexico to protect the Mexican national bird (Mesican Jay) which is a member of the same taxonomic family as the crow (Corvidae). Instead of negotiating protection for the MJ, they just threw all the members of the family into a protected status.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Because if there is a season you have to buy a license- it is all about greed $$$$$$

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Big brother is always looking to help you,,, Mad,,,Clay

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
I was WRONG!
I went into my usual local sporting goods store to get my crow and HIP validation and the clerk told me crow season was over.
I said nice try (I’ve known the guy for 10 years) he said a couple days before he called the ODFW to get the regs for another guy and the ODFW told him crow season was over until this coming October.

After looking in the synopsis and not finding it, he called the ODFW and sure ‘nuf, page 13:

Crow Statewide Oct. 1, 2005 - Jan. 31, 2006.
No bag limit, no possession limit.

So I will just tell the game officer that they were causing a nuisance or about to destroy something or… thumb

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to shoot a 1000, (thousand) or so a night back in the 60's, they were a real nusiance then. We'd go out and shoot the roost with short shot guns. get 15 or 20 with one shot. Crows on roost are like chickens on a roost, they like company so they would crowd together, (maybe for warmth). Then the airport decided that they were a hazard to airplanes, and (so I'm told) poisened them. I don't know if they poisend them or not, but I did see piles of dead crows 20feet high that were burned on airport property.
Mike

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's APRIL isn't it??? Poor hapless bastards just happened to touch down, somehow in between the shooting bench and the 300 yard target berm!! .........."of course the target berm is movable officer!!" "Was truck driving school full the day you joined the job market(probably couldn't pass the entrance test!!!) or or you just out here for the 'excitement of running blue lights??????""" How do I feel about law enforcement!!!!!??????Just ask!!! GHD

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog devastation:
How do I feel about law enforcement!!!!!??????Just ask!!! GHD
Somehow I feel asking is really not necessary...

---Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s very simple the same reason you have tags for everything after you buy your license it’s a way to produce revenue. Most States take all of their game money and pile it into the general fund.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I don't know or care if Texas has a season; I'm really really sure it isn't enforced where I shoot them if there is. Maybe it's because Mexico asked for us to stop. When they give us Davy Crocket's rifles back, we'll quit killing their damn birds.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote