Find
Notify
Tools

308 for coyote
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted
Saw a nice CZ with an HS precision stock and varmint barrel in 308- seems a bit of overkill for varmints- I would use it for coyote-250 yard max

There is also a 223 version of the same rifle, why would someone choose the 308- seriously, I need a bit of education here- is it because of the ability to use a heavier bullet therefore go longer distances?

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well you might ask yourself as well why Tikka is selling "varmint" rifles in calibers up to 338 Win Mag. I guess some people ust like the more precise barrels are are most likely not using them to shot varmint.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." (Attributed to George Orwell).

Posts: 72 | Location: Aalborg Denmark (sometimes Mexico) | Registered: 12 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dunno i've used a 308 with 125 gr nosler bt's quite a bit on varmits, especially in the wind. 308 is a very stable round, easy to load for, with a great choice of bullets in 30 cal.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'd choose the .308 if you were an "occasional" varmint hunter and had hunting -target rifles in .308 with loading equipment already set-up.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't feel too bad using a .308 for a yodel dog. Especially in a windy situation.

Of course, I've used my .338 win mag on Prairie Dogs, .58 cal muzzleloader on anthills, etc etc

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a 308 with both the 125 BT and the Speer 125 TNT for coyotes for years. At 3100 fps when pushed by 51.3 gr of WW 748 it make a great coyote load. Not fur friendly at all, but they don't run off.

PaPa 260

Posts: 109 | Location: Extreme Southwest Indiana | Registered: 14 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
For off-season 'yotes, when the pelts aren't worth a plugged nickel, I'll often grab a Savage FP10 LE-2 in .308 WCF. I use my normal hunting load: 150 grain Nosler BT ahead of 46 grains of Re-15.

I use that same rifle for hogs throughout the year and for deer during the fall/winter, so shooting coyotes with it equates to nothing more than informal practice. After all, the more you use a particular gun, the more familiar you become -- and the better your confidence will be.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
I don't have a varmit rifle (yet) so I use my 300 Win Mag loaded with 110 grain Hornadys when I hunt coyote in the dead of winter. I am looking at getting a 243 or 25-06 for dogs.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of people use heavy .308's for 600 and 1000yrd . matches.Since I don't deer hunt as much as I use to I may use mine on coyotes w/ 125-130 and blue dot powder.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It depends on how far you want to shoot them. the 308 with a 168 grain bullet will kill dogs out past 800 yards easy enough if you do your part.

I use the 6.5x284 with the 142 grain Matchking out as far as I can see them.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the input.

Frank---is that coyote #732 for you?

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fjold: Does the 142 expand any at longer ranges or does it just poke a hole? I have used the 142 out to 400 ish on coyotes in my 260 A.I. It expanded some out to that distance.

PaPa 260

Posts: 109 | Location: Extreme Southwest Indiana | Registered: 14 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
It depends on how far you want to shoot them. the 308 with a 168 grain bullet will kill dogs out past 800 yards easy enough if you do your part.

I use the 6.5x284 with the 142 grain Matchking out as far as I can see them.

Thanks for the picture, Frank. I now can put a face on your postings. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. That coyote was taken at 732 yards in Wyoming.

My long range target/varmint round is the 142 SMK and this little gal came out while I was shooting prairie dogs to scavenge some carcasses. Three people shooting PD's and she wanders over to get a free meal, not real smart. I guess she didn't realize I had already ranged that section of the field.

I don't know if the SMK expanded at all, it was a through-and-through.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice picture frank!!! scratch one yote.
heck ya the 308 will do it easy.
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have thumped quite a few 'yotes with a 308 WCF. Works great, except with the mil-surp FMJ bullets...lost a couple with those!

Nice pic Fjold, and great shot. My Pa whacked a 'yote at 745 yards (measured) with my 220 Swift once. Had a good rest on his front deck and got lucky with the holdover. Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote