New
Find
Notify
Tools

cartridge adaptors
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone had any experience of using cartridge adaptors - I have seen them advertised where you can use 22LR in a 223 chamber, and was wondering whether they are a good idea or just a waste of time? Any thoughts? I'm thinking that it could be useful for my son to get practice with his CZ527 in 223.

Thanks,

Rugeruser

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The cartridge adapters are a novelty which have been around for a long time. They work, but are somewhat awkward to use, and accuracy is sometimes an accident with them.

The .223 is a pretty good practice round as it is, but if you'll load some 40 or 45 grain bullets with a medium-fast powder (something like 4227 or its equivalent) to around 2600-2800 fps, or better yet some cast bullets at 1800 fps or so, this will make better practice ammunition than adapting smaller cartridges.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
I have used a 30-06 to 30 Carb cartridge adaptors. I think we shot about 20 round out of it before we seen it was a pain in the (As).I still have it but we do not use. it is easter to down load the cartridge you are shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rugeruser,

The cartridge adapter(If I know which one you are talking about), is unscrewed to have a .22LR placed in it, then the rear end screwed in to close, then the adapter cartridge is functional. The screwing/unscrewing alone consumes a lot of prescious range time. I would go for a dedicated 22LR rifle, I mean, a used Cooey only cost about 50$...

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote