Find
Notify
Tools

Varmints in Maine
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This doesn’t qualify as an hunt, but it needs tellin’

A few years ago I took my son and a friend of his hiking in Baxter State Park. The boys were 14; perfect age for hiking and climbing. I hadn’t been to the park for twenty years or so, preferring to camp on private (paper company) land, but I thought this would be a good experience for them.

I won’t go into all the details of our trip. On the third day we had relocated to the Roaring Brook site and were walking the trail to Sandy Stream. We’re country folk, used to walking in the woods, and we don’t make a lot of noise, especially on the groomed trails at Baxter.

The boys were walking ahead of me. As the trails were designed for fairly easy walking the boys would occasionally speed up and I would occasionally remind them to slow down and look around.

One time I spoke to them and all of a sudden the bush beside me sort of exploded; more noise than a big animal and a sound that rivaled a gigantic Timberdoodle. I looked over and there it was: a Yellow Crested Yuppie Chick, bustin’ through the woods trying to haul her drawers up, making a noise like “YA-A-A-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-Hâ€.

The boys stood there with their mouths open, I blew spit through my lips and tried not to double over, and we watched the shiny moon fade into the woods.

"Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seen one of those when we was kids here in MA. We were about 11 and my buddies Dad took us out with BB guns to shoot birds and Xmas Balls on the frozen lake. This one had yellow tights on and was movin all about on top of this man. We figured they must have been real cold just a lyin' out in the snow like that. Still don't know whats theys was a doin' lol
They must have multiplied and migrated north to ME.

Posts: 132 | Location: MA | Registered: 30 December 2004Reply With Quote