New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load suggestions For 222
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Finally found a used Remington 722 in 222 cal, the rifle looks to have been used very little. I was hoping to get a little info as to what everyone would recommend for a good prairie dog load.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I own 1 222 I have not loaded much for it in about 10 years, I got caught up in bigger and better then started a family and house thing!
I do remember that I had great luck with Hornady SX bullets on Ohio groundhogs

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jbhewitt

I have had three Triple Deuces. Currently have two. I’ve tried all of the “Best .222†powders. Of all of the loads I’ve tried. Two powders stand out BL-C (2) is one. The most consistent in all three of the rifles has been RL-7 using 50 Gr. VMax’s, Hornady SPSX and Speer TNT setting on 20.7 Gr. of RL-7.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
An old favorite of mine was IMR 3031 and the Hornady SX softpoint with CCI br primers and Winchester brass. This was a maximum or slightly higher load, but would shoot true 1/4 inch groups in my wifes Rem 700 sporter.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jb,
Mine likes 20.0 gr. RL 7, 50 gr. Sierra Blitz, Remington 7 1/2 and most any brand of brass. Outstanding accuracy.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
25 gr H335 & 50 gr.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheersCurrently the best is 24gr.accurate 2015 behind Berger's 55gr fphp.3075 fps. avg., 9 shot 3/8" group at 50 yds. It is a bit pricy, however.

A realy good ecconomic performer has been the same load behind Mid South's 55gr. Varmint Nite Mare 3175 fps. avg.,. Less than a nickle each and a 1/2", 9 shot group at 50 yds. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jbhewitt: I have several 222's and achieve excellent accuracy with all of them.
But my two favorite Prairie Dog bullets out of a 222 are the wonderful Sierra 50 gr. Blitz bullet and the Nosler 40 gr. Ballistic Tips!
Great Prairie Dog performance from both of these.
Best of luck with your new "Classic" Rifle in 222 Remington.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know why most reloading manuals keep the 222 Rem max pressures so low? I understand the basis for some older cartridges in rifles with weaker actions, but the 222 doesn't fit that category.
In any typical modern 222 rifle, one could certainly exceed many "max" loads if desired, making the 222 a stronger performer.
Benchmark, RL7,10X, and AA2200 all have been used in my Rem 788 - 222 with great success, typically behind 50gr pills.
I was perplexed by my 221 Fireball exceeding my 222 speed, till I noticed the low pressure of most 222 loads.....

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
I've got several .222s and they commonly shoot very well above published load levels. Look in our AR reloading data (not the forum part) and there are some great loads.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first handload 30+ years ago.

WW 748 case full to top of mouth.

Sierra 52 HPBT seated by inserting into the rifle and letting the lands do it as the bolt was closed.

Shot 1/2 inch groups in a Sako.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer: In your method of "seating" the bullets in your 222 what happens when you feed a bullet into your breech and you close the bolt "seating a bullet in your rifling" and the "Game Warden" walks up to you before you fire it and says "unload your Rifle while we talk"?
Does your Sierra 52 gr. bullet stick in the lands when you extract and eject the case (pouring powder into your chamber, breech and magazine well? Then do you need to drive back home and fetch your cleaning rod to punch out the bullet (that is now "seated" in your rifling)?
I think you might be able to attain similar or very near the same accuracy if you seated your bullets in the normal manner (a few thousandths of an inch off the leades of your rifling).
I have had to clean the powder out of my action (the bolt lug recesses are the hardest to get clean) and chamber a few times as well as having to head out in search of a cleaning rod - so I proffer this line of advise to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VarmintGuy:
Hammer: In your method of "seating" the bullets in your 222 what happens when you feed a bullet into your breech and you close the bolt "seating a bullet in your rifling" and the "Game Warden" walks up to you before you fire it and says "unload your Rifle while we talk"?
Does your Sierra 52 gr. bullet stick in the lands when you extract and eject the case (pouring powder into your chamber, breech and magazine well? Then do you need to drive back home and fetch your cleaning rod to punch out the bullet (that is now "seated" in your rifling)?
I think you might be able to attain similar or very near the same accuracy if you seated your bullets in the normal manner (a few thousandths of an inch off the leades of your rifling).
I have had to clean the powder out of my action (the bolt lug recesses are the hardest to get clean) and chamber a few times as well as having to head out in search of a cleaning rod - so I proffer this line of advise to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VarmintGuy,

Thanks for the thoughts.

You're right about problems that could happen in the field.

The bullets can stick by this seating method. On the rare occasion that have removed a chambered round, have had powder spill into the action. Good reason to use a Savage where barrels are easily removed for action cleaning.

Do load lots of ammo by conventional methods with Dillon and single stage presses, but got to do some unconventional things occasionally just to stay in practice.

Am sure it is only by luck, but have never had a game warden approach me.

Hammer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
24.3g h335 and 40 grain V-Max works for me.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe nobody suggested 20gr. of IMR 4198 and your favorite 50gr. bullet.

Works good in our 722 duece.

Posts: 82 | Location: seattle | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
my best load for the duce is imr 4198 19.5 grains.... many varmit's nightmare.

Posts: 19 | Location: Hoosier National Forest Area . | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know most of you that roll your own may roll your eyes. I have had phenominal success with the Power-Loct from Remington. I like this factory load so much I bought 2000 rnds of it. My 222 has a barrel installed by Ed Shilen in the late 60's early 70's on a Rem 40X. She sports an original Range Master stock and has the only scope I had lying around and kinda like--a Super Sniper 10x. I routinely get ragged hole 10 shot groups 5/16 diameter at 200yds. I have taken a number of game including whitetail. I wanted to try factory before I tooled up for another ctg. Factory ammo has come a long way in the last 10 years. More so in the last 20. I have several rifles that perform so well with factory ammo I can't justify the expense of tooling up. I do it for .375H&H though cuz I like GS Custom!!

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I LIKE HAMMER'S LOAD!! I don't have a magazine, wouldn't be a problem for me if got stuck. I am paranoid and carry a dowel everywhere I shoot, just for that reason.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The classic load used during the hay-day of the 222 Rem on the Benchrest circuit is 19.5 grains of IMR-4198 with the best bullet (52 grain) of the day, and that's what I used with good success. Currently, my two Rem 722's in 222 like different loads, from each other. One likes that IMR-4198 load and the other likes 22.5 grains of Benchmark, both with 50 grain bullets. I had a CZ 527 in 222 that liked the Benchmark load along with a RL-7 load, again with 50 grain bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
21.5 grs. VVN130, Speer 50 gr. TNT & CCI400, OAL 2.18".

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now what we need is a thread on favorite loads for the 222 Remington Magnum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like drewhenrytnt said, the Rem. 50 gr. PLHP is a great bullet in the .222. I use it in Rem. brass, Rem. 7-1/2 primer, and 25.0 gr. of BL-C(2). I have shot thousands of prairie dogs with this bullet. I also use the PLHPs in the .223, .22-250, 6mm Rem., and .25-06. They are an accurate varmint bullet and also open up well.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Anybody notice that a new member resurrected this thread... and that it was 2 years old at the time????...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
23.6grs og Vit N133 and a 50gr Vmax is the best load for my CZ 527. or 22grs of REL 7 and a 40gr Vmax will do 3675fps Big Grin

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot my best one hole group using IMR 3031, I think 22 grains. It was also a Shilen built gun back in the early 80's.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a very accurate mild load using 40 grain ballistic tips and about 24.5 grains of Benchmark powder that gets about 3350 fps. I use this for up to 250 yard shots at prairie dogs since it doesn't heat up the heavy barrel too fast.

Posts: 136 | Location: mn | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote