THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: .223 WSSM Good choice for Pdogs?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .223 WSSM Good choice for Pdogs?
 Login/Join

posted
Dutch, I know this is a late question to an old response, but I just found the forum the other day. I have a question about your Savage 223 wssm. I didn't know that savage made a "wssm." I'm not trying to call you on anything, but I've been looking all over and the only two manufacturers I've seen is winchester and browning. How did you come across a Savage 223 wssm? Is it custom?

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
You are right, mine started out as a 300WSM (wanna buy a barrel?). It now wears a 3 groove, 9 twist 24" Pac Nor stainless.

Sure wish Savage would build one in WSSM. It would be a good one.... HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch and seafire, I don't own either version of the WSSM's. However my first experience with the 243WSSM was a mixed bag! Accurrate? YES!! Fast? YES!!! barrel burner.......PROBABLY!!!! Shoot a five shot group and could not touch the barrel!!! Good thing they are lined with "steelite"!! Have not had the pleasure of shooting a 223WSSM yet.....figure it will be about the same as the 243WSSM! To improve on a .224 or .243 projectile issued from available choices.....not there yet!!! 22-250 and the Swift are tried and true! 243, 243AI, 6mm, 6mmAI and a whole myriad of others are tried and true!! Don't even get me started on the 25WSSM!!!! When somebody improves on the 25-06Remington for a DUAL Purpose cartridge in quarterbore, I'll try it!! This one ain't got it!!! JMO!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard the .22/250 needs trimming alot and that sounds really scarey. I've yet to see this be an issue with the .22/250's I own. I really like the improved variant. No trimming at all and the accuracy is great while fire forming.

The problem with shooting dogs,is no dog town is the same. If you're shooting typical public land,you most likely won't have that much problem shooting the larger capacity rounds. However,you start shooting private ground and 500 or more rounds a day,becomes a reality and you don't want that type of heat. You won't beat the .223 remington for 99% of dog shooting. Its mild,its cheap and it produces good velocities for good kills. You get into a hot town and you'll ruin a barrel on a .22/250 if you free fire and don't limit yourself. The same will happen with the wssm. I believe the best dog cartridge is the .223 improved. Its Cheap as you can get,the velocity is damn good and heat is manageable.

The wssm and wsm cartridges fill a notch that doesn't even exsist and they cost you more money to do it.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has been a long time ago that I had a 22-250, it was a Savage 112 FVS single shot with synthetic stock and 26" bull barrel. I recall having to trim my cases constantly. Maybe my chamber was oversized, or something. Or maybe I was trying to take full advantage of that 26 inch tube, but I was neck sizing only, and still remember lots of time with the Forster case trimmer. And for all that, my Savage light varminter in .223 was consistently more accurate, and generally within 300 fps of what I was getting out of the 22-250. I kept the .223 and sold the 22-250 to someone who had more time to mess with brass than I did. If you look at the taper to the 22-250 case, it looks like it was designed to stretch! If you aren't trimming very often, I would guess you must be shooting fairly mild loads with fast burning powders, and might be better served by a .22 BR or .223. My 2� worth.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote