New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Rabbits
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'll try it out tomorrow morning with my modified tube (don't have a cylinder bore yet) and some low brass 7.5 shot.

I'll let you know what happens on Monday!

Posts: 163 | Location: Upstate, NY | Registered: 26 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Clement
What Pygmy said.

He just about covered it all perfectly!
Certainly close enough to perfect!

Posts: 4255 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What 12ga loads do you folks use for rabbits? I was out last weekend with my Mossberg 500, and I was using remington high brass #4 23/4" shells, and it turned out that I had a full choke tube in. I missed 2 rabbits because of this!
A buddy of mine uses low brass reloads that he got from someone a few years ago that are #7.5 shot.

I'm thinking about the Remington heavy dove loads in either 6 or 7.5 as I've heard good things about them.

What do you use?

Posts: 163 | Location: Upstate, NY | Registered: 26 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clement..I'd leave the full choke tube at home...Use IC or certainly nothing tighter than modified..Most rabbits are shot in dense cover at ranges well under 30 yards and they are very easy to kill.. Often just a couple of pellets will kill them cleanly.. If you use the most open choke you have you will be surprised at how much better you will shoot... I do most of my rabbit hunting with a 20 gauge double choked IC/MOD and I kill 90% of the rabbits with the IC barrel...

I don't care for #4 shot because the big pellets drag too much hair into the shot wound..On the other hand, with 7.5 shot you often get too many pellets in the eatin' meat.. I've settled on #6 shot as the best compromise...

In a 12 gauge gun, low brass shells with 1 oz. or 1 1/8oz. of shot will roll the toughest bunny in the woods as far away as you want to shoot him..There is no need for heavy loads and high brass shells for rabbits...

Posts: 119 | Location: Addison, NY | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote