THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Is there a way to bait squirrels?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a way to bait squirrels?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My friend knows a lady that has 20 acres and has a problem with squirrels. We went out there today, she does have a problem, they're tunneling under her house, propane tank etc. BUT it is grape vines. too hard to go around looking for them, catch them at the right time of ay there around her house, but I figure there has to be a better way.

Any ideas?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Laner
posted Hide Post
Scatter nuts or trail mix around an open area and sit and wait. Trust me on this one. Squirrel is the only animal I have ever taken with a bow. Long story. Roll Eyes

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posts: 99 | Location: Hays, Kansas | Registered: 02 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Laner:
Scatter nuts or trail mix around an open area and sit and wait. Trust me on this one. Squirrel is the only animal I have ever taken with a bow. Long story. Roll Eyes

Wouldnt corn work as good?It would be cheaper.

Posts: 66 | Location: manchester md | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plan unsalted peanuts or crackers with peanut butter on them.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bird seed works well, my daughter used to make bird feeders and we could not keep the squirrels out of it, I thought I fixed them by hanging a longer string off a branch so they couldn't reach but later we found they would go out on the branch, lay down, take their paw and pull on string until the bird seed would fall out onto the ground then go down and eat

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know for a fact peanut butter works well. I used a small jar of peanut butter to bait them and when I was through for the day I left a little of it on a piece of wood, capped the jar and took it with me for another day.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Are they ground squirrels?

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Squirrels love whole corn & sunflower seeds!

Just put a small amount of either in a pile within shooting distance and wait! They will come to it!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poletax:
Are they ground squirrels?

Yep, Red's talking about ground squirrels.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote