New
Find
Notify
Tools

V-Max or Ballistic Tips??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys, I know this is an impossible question, and that I'll probably get as many opinions as I get answers. Still, is there a general preference for V-Max or Ballistic Tips in terms of accuracy (.224 and .243 cal)??? (V-Max has the advantage of being cheaper).

How do you find V-Max and BTs to compare to the Sierra HP Match bullets in terms of accuracy?? We are not talking terminal performance here, just ability to punch holes close together.

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler products have been more accurate in more guns for me than Hornady products. That, of course, leads to my predispostion toward the Noslers. I have had some excellent results in limited experience with the Hornady V-Max. I don't doubt that there are individual guns/loads in which the Hornady is more accurate than the corresponding Ballistic Tip, but I would also guess that in a larger sample of guns/load the Noslers would have the advantage.

One factor (and this is simply rank speculation on my part) may be that Nosler uses a radiused ogive while Hornady uses a secant, or tangent, ogive. The radiused ogive appears to be easier to make square with the axis of the bullet, and theoretically is more aerodynamic. This is picking at gnits, however, as I have no real evidence that there is a significant difference in performance related to the two shapes.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For some odd reason my 22-250's and 223's prefer the Ballistic tips and my .243 doesn't. Never got the V-Maxes to shoot all that well in my rifles, but my buddies' rifles all love the V-Maxes over the ballistic tips. I've even tried to Moly coat them to see if it would make a difference and it didn't work.
Only way to see what your rifle prefers is to try them.- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
this is another one of those Redheads or Blonds deals. some barrels and load combos shoot the red tip better others like the blond. i like both, i also like both the Vmax and BT.
the red ones seam to be more explosive and much less forgiveing.
the 70gr 6mm BT is my #1 coyote bullet, the 55gr Vmax is #1 for tunnel pigs. 50gr BT seams to work real well in every 222, 223, 221 i'ver ever loaded for.

Posts: 169 | Location: Never where you think | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Both have been very accurate for me in .223 and 22-250. For predators, if you are going to use a plastic tipped bullet, I prefer the BT. They are slightly "beefier" than the V-Max.

Clear as mud.........

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
I use both, and can't say that for my purposes that either one stands out. I usually go with the V Max's because they are a Nebraska company and just a few dollars cheaper.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always shot the VMAX over the Nosler. Most of my shooting involves sage rats. As Bob in TX stated, the Nosler is beefier, but the VMAX comes apart violently. I would go for the B-Tip for a little more penetration, and the VMAX when penetration is not an issue. I need to add that the VMAX will bring down a coyote in short order with proper shot placement, and the sound of the impact is incredible.

So, as for as accuracy goes, I think it is up to the rifle but is usually quite exceptional in every rifle I have tried them out of.

Posts: 121 | Location: Prosser, WA | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Go with the V-MAX. I have used alot of both V-MAX and Nosler BT, and I have settle on the V-MAX. My favorite is the 60 grain V-MAX in my 22-243 Middlestead. I have taken a many of P-Dogs in excess of 440 yards with the 60 grain V-MAX. Really like them and have settled on them for all my varmint hunting. Safe relaoding and good luck. Russ

Posts: 5 | Location: South Korea | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use v maxs in my prairie dog guns
.221 FB 40 gr.
220-250 50 gr.
6mm 30-30 AI 58 gr.

I can 't imagine that the higher priced Nosler bullets would shoot any more accurate than those did. I just spent four days on the prairie and other than a wicked wind, the v-maxs put a big hurt on those pds. I just don't like the price structure that Nosler uses...doesn't make sense to me.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot the v-maxes, the BT's and the Sierra Blitzkings out of my 22-250 over the past month, and they all shoot the same, mid .3's. I even shot a few v-maxes and blitzkings into the same group and they shot to the same point of impact. That said, the v-maxes sure make a 'dog go to pieces, even at the longer ranges beyond 400 yds. I've been shooting JLK 52 gr. low drag bullets a bit this week. So far they seem to want to shoot into the mid .2's at 100. I shot a 1.74" 3-shot at 481 yds last weekend. Haven't been able to try them on a PD yet.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote