New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 2230 for .204
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think it was Groundhog Devastation that did the testing with the AA2230 in the .204 Ruger. Here is some of the information I gathered his post and printed it out for myself. He was using the 32 gr. V-Max bullet with AA2230. REMEMBER!!!!! You are responsible for your own life and limbs if you use these loads. I have no knowledge whether these are safe, WAY over MAX or what.

GHD used the following loads for the following speeds in the .204 Ruger caliber:

27.7 gr. AA2230 = 4,178 fps (good accuracy)

28.3 gr. AA2230 = 4,279 fps (great accuracy)

28.5 gr. AA2230 = 4,304 fps

28.7 gr. AA2230 = 4,409 fps!!!!!

He noted that there were slight pressure signs on that last load of 28.7 gr. of AA2230----flattened primers and shallow cratering. No loose primer pockets noted though. He said he shot multiple groups with the 28.3 gr. load on different range test days and got the same velocity results.

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of slopjock
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help silverfox. I've been printing off everything i can on the .204 as well, this was one that i forget to get. i just bought a pound of 2230 over the weekend, so i wanted to try a few loads with it.

thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
slopjock-- GHD recommended you start at around 26.0 gr. of AA2230 and work up. That sounds like a good plan to me.

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
silverfox, Thanks for reposting those loads for this thread.
The first two loads listed suffice!!!! At least in my Savage VLP! The other thing about the velocities is that that is the only powder that allowed anything in that range! AA2230 seems like a powder to me that gets a "power band".....kinda like a motorcycle engine! Once it gets to that certain point, very little increases in powder generate Big changes in velocity! The same is true when I tested the AA2230 in a 222Mag. The speeds and accuracy were good enough that I bought some more of it! Hopefully I'll get some days to test this winter in colder temps and see if it affects the speeds and accurracy. GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of slopjock
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help guys. Here in central illinois, were just starting to get into coyote season. I usually wind down my bow hunting about Dec 1, and start to ramp up the dog hunting. I hope to get out to the range this weekend, and plan on having some new loads to test out for the .204.

slopjock