Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Model 12?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted
I picked up a Savage Model 12. It is a Series J. Does anyone in this forum know anything about it?
It is chambered in .220 Swift.Single shot bolt gun.
The bull barrel does not have a crown.
What does the series J mean?

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bought a Savage 112V Series J in 220 Swift when they were first introduced in the 1970s. Was one of the most accurate and fun rifles ever had. Currently have another one in 223 Remington.

Consider this rifle model one of the first -- maybe the first -- true varmint rifles. Previously all so-called varmint rifles were simply the standard rifle model with a heavier barrel. The Savage 112V Series J had a truly well-designed varmint hunting stock and a single shot action. The barrels were also longer to take full advantage of the velocity potential of the varmint calibers.

Have always found them very accurate.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer: Consider the following not a correction or a flame but more of a reminder of your oversight!
No not even close on the Savage being the first company to mass produce a superbly designed Rifle for long range shooting of Varmints! That distinction goes of course to the Winchester Repeating Arms Company with the introduction of the Model 54 Target Rifle and the Model 54 Snipers Match Rifle both available in 220 Swift with 26" heavy barrels in 1935! These distinctive and popular Rifles performed very well indeed on both Varmints and Targets from people I have talked with!
Then in 1937 this same named Target Model became available in the wonderful and wonderfully accurate Model 70 Winchester. Again the Rifle was available in 220 Swift (also 22 Hornet, 250-3000 and 257 Roberts among other calibers) with 26" heavy barrel along with a great and easily adjusted trigger and a splendid stock design that I use to this day on many of my custom Varminters! The original Target Model Rifles I now own are just way to valuable to be used anymore in the Varmint fields.
Then in 1955 Winchester came out with another pleasingly designed model with 26" heavy barrel in caliber 220 Swift. This model was designated the Varmint Rifle. I own several of the Varmint model Winchesters. They are just to valuable to use in the field anymore of course.
Then of course Remington began production of their Model 700's and 40X's in the 1960's. The 40X's had 27 1/4" barrels, were available in single shot as well as repeaters and had sensational and externally adjustable triggers on them. There was also available as an option a 2 ounce trigger (with no safety) that I have used for about 30 years on Colony Varmints. The stocks on the Remington 40XB's I have found to be especially conducive to comfortable shooting, under all field conditions I have encountered, during Colony Varmint shooting.
The fine folks at Sako also beat Savage to the draw on designing and making excellent bolt action, heavy barrel Varminters in a host of Varmint calibers including 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Remington, 223 Remington, 222 Remington Magnum, 243 Wincester and many other fine calibers. Most of the Sakos did have 23 1/2" barrels though (as I recall in these Varmint configurations). I still shoot several of these Sakos to this day.
Savage did come along much later than the above mentioned companies with an accurate and utilitarian Rifle. I have shot along side them at the range and in the field. They get the job done. I have never shot one or never owned one - as yet.
I have yet to come up with the urge to own one. I am sure that is just a personal preference on my part for the other brands I have mentioned.
I hope some day you can find and fondle a pre war Model 70 Target Rifle! Work the silky smooth action - feel the balance - note the quality of workmanship throughout - admire the deep and beautiful charcoal bluing - take sight picture and melt with the stock design! You will, I am sure, appreciate the effort those folks took 67 years ago in making those exquisite Rifles!
Long live the old Model 70's!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy,

I stand corrected.

The Winchesters I may concede. Not sure about the Remingtons. And have some of both.

Always considered the Remington 700 varminters not true varminters but merely the placing of a heavy barrel on their existing BDL. Thought of the 40X rifles as more target rifles than varmint rifles.

Were the Winchesters target rifles or varmint rifles ? Consider target range stocks different than what is best for the field. But don't consider normal sporter stocks best for varmint use either.

As for the Sakos, would never want to denigrate them. Have some very old ones in 222 Remington and 222 Remington Magnum. And no one would ever want to take anything away from their single-shot rifle.

The first rifle I ever bought was a heavy barrel Sako 222 repeater which had been converted to left-hand and appropriately stocked in one of the most beautiful pieces of walnut. Still have it. With Sako rings holding a Redfield scope, paid $225 for it at an estate sale. (The widow also had several other lefties including some Texas Ranger rifles. She didn't want them in the house.)

Had written correspondence with Sako over thirty years ago concerning when and where the rifle was made left-handed. They were not sure if the rifle left the factory left-handed or if it was converted afterwards. Have had authorities adamantly swear both ways.

Maybe we will call the Savage 112V Series J the first common man's varmint rifle.

Enjoy all the models mentioned. Have too much invested in Winchesters, Remingtons, Sakos, and Savages to have their markets crash on my account. So don't want to upset the gods.

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer: The Remington 40X Rifles are well suited for both Target shooting and Varmint Hunting in my opinion. Especially so for Colony Varmints. The 40XB-KS model in 220 Swift single shot is one of my main go to Coyote Calling Rifles. This Kevlar stocked model has a black kevlar stock that is VERY well suited for all types of Varmint Hunting not just Colony Varmints.
The McMillan Rifle stock company makes an exact copy of the pre-64 Winchester Target Rifle stock - they call it the Marksman stock as did the Winchester people back then. It is a popular and good seller for them. I have about 5 of them on various custom Varminters. The Remington 40X stocks originally were made of wood and were nearly identical in appearance, style and measurements of the Winchester Marksman style stocks. Yes they look very much like target stocks and are often referred to as such but they work quite well in the Varmint fields also.
That is an amazing story about your left handed Sako in caliber 222! It would be so interesting to know when and by whom it was converted for sure!
Over the decades I have attended at least 900 to a 1,000 Gunshows! Most I have gotten to and stayed for the full weekend! I mean from door opening to door closing! I am always looking for good stocks for my use on future Varmint Hunting Rifles. Let me, let you in on a little secret here! Remington 40X and Winchester Target stocks in good original condition are one of the fastest selling items I have ever seen on the Gunshow market! They do not sit on a table! You snooze - you loose on these little treasures. They are highly sought after!
I have a certain amount of respect for the Savage Varmint Rifles not the least of which is an admiration of their accuracy and affordability!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.
Mine doesn't have 112v series stamped on it, just series 12.
Maybe made in the 1960's?
I love it to death. It has a silky smooth action,maybe it has been slicked up.
I like having a fast cartridge like this one. Shooting at bottle caps at 100 yards,(off bench)I can see the hit before the scope rises on recoil.
What fun !
Now I'm looking to get a rifle in .30 Cody Express.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer: I forgot to comment additionally on the left handed Rifles! I have three close friends that are left handed and for the most part they get along (as they have for decades) crossing their hand over the top of the action and grabbing the bolt and working it! It is awkward but doable as they are efficient at it. I was glad to see Remington (I think they were the first to make a mirror image left handed Rifle) come out with their left hand models. I believe 6% of humans are left handed!

I saw last year that Remington was offering a Varmint model 700 in left hand!

I feel for you guys!

There are others making left handed Rifles and one store here in Montana has a left handed section for the bolt Rifles on display! Its on the right end of their Rifle rack!

Keep after them in a right handed world!

Despite the difficulties left handed people are very well adjusted and are rarely full fledged criminals! And the score significantly better on IQ tests than us righties (4 to 5% better scores!) and on common sense problem solving tests they score 6% better than righties! Good for your team!

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy,

Think Remington started offering the left-hand 700 BDL in 270, 30/06, and 7mm Rem Magnum around 1973 or there abouts. They introduced a sporter weight in 22/250, 243, and 308 in the late '80s. Much later in the late '90s or early 2000's, Remington introduced the heavy barrel models in 223, 22/250, and 308.

Savage and Weatherby both had lefties long before Remington. Have some left-hand Weatherbys that go back to German production which preceeded Japanese production. And the left-hand Savages may go as far back as the fifties.

Have one left-hand German-made bull-barrel 240 Wby. Not an after-market rebarrel job, but a custom-grade factory rifle.

When I first started shooting, I tried right-hand with a couple of variations and tried left-hand usage of a right-hand rifle. Could make it work, but didn't find it enjoyable. So have spent too much on lefties. Even so far as having left-hand double-barrel 500s made.

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Poletax,

Think your Savage 12 is a much newer gun than the 112 models. Think the two-digit model numbers are fairly recent and indicate a short action.

But the Series J is still a mystery, as thought it only went with the 112 model.

Have one Savage with the first digit illegible, so one would think it was a two-digit when in fact it is a three-digit model number.

Hammer