posted Hide Post
BTT - 1X

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
Nick,
Great article, thanks for sharing.
I have a .240 deluxe with a 26" barrel that shoots much better than I can. I'm waiting to draw an antelope tag.

Good call on fiberglass stocks catching on!!

Keith

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You men are misguided. I shoot a 6x284 that is bad to the bone I shoot 87gr Hornady V-Maxs at 3,600+ with under 1/2MOA frequently. Long live the 6x284....................

How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but looses his soul

Posts: 183 | Location: SF Bay area | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu: Great article from the past there. Thanks for bringing it back for us to enjoy again.
My 240 Weatherby is a full custom job on a Winchester pre-64 Model 70 action. Its 27 1/2" long Hart stainless barrel and its splendid accuracy has led to the demise of many Rock Chucks and Coyotes as well as Mule Deer and quite a few Antelope also!
The 240 Weatherby is a fine cartridge and deserving of its good reputation!
Thanks again for the link.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many sources do you have for brass for the 240 Weatherby is there?????? My 6x284 leaves a 240 in the dust with a 26" tube.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VarmintGuy:
Nickudu: Great article from the past there. Thanks for bringing it back for us to enjoy again.
My 240 Weatherby is a full custom job on a Winchester pre-64 Model 70 action. Its 27 1/2" long Hart stainless barrel and its splendid accuracy has led to the demise of many Rock Chucks and Coyotes as well as Mule Deer and quite a few Antelope also!
The 240 Weatherby is a fine cartridge and deserving of its good reputation!
Thanks again for the link.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Glad you enjoyed reading the old article, VarmintGuy! Smiler

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ironworker378: The last brass I bought was made by Norma. Weatherby also markets it with their logo on it but I suspect it was made by the Norma folks. PMC was making it for a while as I recall.
I have found the brass life is not to bad with the 240 Weatherby and I have a lifetime supply and still add to it, on occassion, from gunshow sales and like that.
Now and then I get it pretty cheap but it is somewhat pricey off of the shelves.
How about the 6mm/284? I see that someone was making and marketing 6.5x284 brass a while back and it was pretty pricey also. Do you just resize and fireform the 284 brass to 6mm/284 or does someone make 6mm/284 brass that does not need to be fireformed? How is the brass life in your 6mm/284?
By the way I have many friends with 6mm/284's and my 240 Weatherby does not pick up ANY dust their guns have left behind!
In fact I considered the 6mm/284 back in 1990 when I got my 240 Weatherby! Several reasons made me opt for the 240 Weatherby - not the least of which was velocities!
In fact the latest edition of the Sierra Reloading Manual, 5th Edition circa 2,003, shows the 240 Weatherby exceeding 6mm/284 velocities by a notable margin with a variety of bullet weights???
And this comparison was tested using 26" barrels in both the 240 Weatherby AND the 6mm/284!!!
No - the 6mm/284 does not leave the 240 Weatherby in the dust.
Long live the 240 Weatherby (and its little brother the 6mm/284)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm know about the Sierra Reloading manual. Plus Hornady.Hornady has commited treason for wildcat cartridges..Sierra is a starting point.Their max load of WXR for a 85 gr bullet is my light load for a 87gr V-Max.Hodgen is the best Manual foir this cartridge. Ok 53.5grs of H4350 produces 3,600+ with a 87gr Hornady V-max.No doubt that's a hot load and yes one shot turns my Heavy Hart BBL bright red but just for a moment LOL.Now that my BBL is broke in I get 3s and 4s out of it. Brass I buy Lapua 6.5x284 run thru the sizer and that's it. Norma and Hornady also make brass.This source of brass is here toi stay. Ok its $60.00 for a 100. I trhink I'm on my 6th loading no splits yet. ( But I better check) When I shoot this barrel out I want a Broughten 1in8 so I can shoot those 105 115 missels. So your from Montana, man I bet you can shoot a different place every day.Here in Ca its tough getting land owners permission to hunt.Half to hire out with out fitters are BLM land Plus drive forever(2 to 7 hours)

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post

This is what I turned my 240 brass into. The case is blown out and shortened too 2.170.

I was lucky and picked up 100 rounds new in the boxs for $20.......wish I had more!!

Here is something the 240 can't do!

Out of a 15" barrel, I am getting 2200fps with 300 grain SP Hornadys.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi , I cant seem to open the attachment, any chance someone could send it to me, also I would like to hear from anyone who loads for the .240 Weatherby.

Posts: 45 | Location: Sydney,Australia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6x284 should have just a tad more case capacity than the .240 WBY. Many people believe that the .240 is a "belted" .30-06 case, but the '06 case is larger in diameter forward of the head in that the WBY head and belt are the same diameter as the '06, making the body necessarily smaller.

It is irrelavant, however, since the case capacity of either is close enough to the bore capacity of the 6mm to make it a matter of the "slickness" of the barrel as to which achieves the higher velocity. For that matter, a 6mm Rem Improved will provide essentially the same velocities.

I'm thinking of building a 6x284 or a 6mm IMP in the near future. This is because I want to use a shorter action than would be required by the .240 or 6mm-06. The .240, nice cartridge though it is, is an potentially expensive proposition in feeding it brass.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get great groups,but unexplained flyers also. Why? Abench rest shooter said it could be cause I seat the bullets to touch the lands. Maybe one of the rnds "Jams into them" I like my rifle.Its a heavy thing.Its a long range predator rifle.If I pack that thing all day Its a work out no doubt.But who cares next BBL will be a Brougton 28" uncertian what rifling rate will be.Weather I shoot the long pills are the short ones.Unlikely I'll be shooting past 5 or 600 yds.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I'm thinking of building a 6x284 or a 6mm IMP in the near future. This is because I want to use a shorter action than would be required by the .240 or 6mm-06. The .240, nice cartridge though it is, is an potentially expensive proposition in feeding it brass.
Stonecreek, if you are going to build a 6mm or 6mm Imp, build it on a long action, otherwise you might as well build a .243Win.

I have a 6mm built on a Rem ’03-A3 action and when you load 85g+ varmint bullets, they will intrude into the powder space unless you seat them out, which will not fit into a short action magazine.

I am getting velocities close to a 240WBM out of my 6mm with 85g pills. Velocities not possible with a short magazine. If it was a 6mm Imp, I’m sure they would nearly be identical.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IronWorker378:
I get great groups, but unexplained flyers also. Why? A bench rest shooter said it could be cause I seat the bullets to touch the lands. Maybe one of the rnds "Jams into them.
I was going to find one of those micrometer bullet seaters for my 6mm Rem. A BR shooter told me that for these to work properly, you have to use the exact same bullets every time (otherwise the ogive is different), and they have to be seated EXACTLY the same every time, and your brass has to be exactly the same length, etc, etc. Otherwise it’s a crapshoot.

May still get one, but it almost seems like too much hassle for the 1 out of 50 “flyer.â€

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stonecreek, if you are going to build a 6mm or 6mm Imp, build it on a long action, otherwise you might as well build a .243Win.

I have a 6mm built on a Rem ’03-A3 action and when you load 85g+ varmint bullets, they will intrude into the powder space unless you seat them out, which will not fit into a short action magazine.

I am getting velocities close to a 240WBM out of my 6mm with 85g pills. Velocities not possible with a short magazine. If it was a 6mm Imp, I’m sure they would nearly be identical.

It will be used primarily as a single shot, so the length of the magazine is not particularly relavent. I will likely start with a factory Savage BVSS in .243. Either a 6mm Imp or a 6x284 reamer should clean up the chamber. I'm sure that a 6mm Improved would, in the same barrel, essentially match the velocity of the .240 WBY, and have no practical differences with a 6x284 or even a 6mm-06.

I like the idea of a 6mm Improved because the 6mm/.244 Remington case just begs to be improved.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote