New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm match bullets for pdogs?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 6mm BR with 1/8 twist throated for the heavier bullets. It preferes the 90 Berger match bullets and other berger match bullets. I tried the 87 vmax, not that great. I'm going to use the BR for 500-600 yard pdogs, so I need the accuracy. I was worried about the berger match bullets and performance. I don't want anything that will be skipping across the ground. I've got some 105 amax to try, but didn't know how explosive they were.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I've heard Amax expand nicely.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have used 6mm 68 gr.Fowlers and Berger on PD's. in a 6BR 1/14. I have just about gave them up. Not because they did not shoot well, but, because past 300 yds they did not preform well. Yes, hit them just fine, but, clean kills were not there. Suggest you try the 65 gr. V-max, it may do OK in a 1/8. I have had good luck with the 70 gr. Sierra BlitzKing.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
JB,

I have had some Sierra Match bullet go riccocheting on me... I don't use them for that reason, unless I have a good solid backdrop, like a mountain, and no buildings, or farm equipment.. irrigation pipes.. or houses or farm animals to worry about....( and all of that is rare...)

Try some 75 grain Hornady HPs, or 80 grain Ballistic Tips.. those puppies are pretty flat shooting and stabilize well in my one in 7 twist 6mm Rem.. and they get pushed hard in that rifle.. as I don't take many shots with it..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the 87 vmax again today and I sure can't find the right combo for them. The rifle shoots great, at least good enough to get a varmint bullet under .5 for 5 at 100. Anybody ever tried the sierra 85 varminter? I may try the 75 vmax, but may have to jump them in order to keep enough bullet in the case.

It's a shame, I had high hopes for the 87 vmax. That's how it goes...