New
Find
Notify
Tools

LAMINATED STOCK
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Savage 12FV .204 and would like to replace the synthetic ( Ugly ), stock. Are there any sources other than Boyds? Thanks, Smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smoker1: I will not comment today on the looks of the Savage Rifles!
But here is a suggestion. You could sell the Savage Rifle and buy a Remington 700 VLS in caliber 204 Ruger. This is the Remington Model with the laminated stock on it already. I have one of these Remingtons and its not only accurate but looks and feels great!
I have seen Savage Rifles in the past with laminated stocks on store shelves but I do not get them down and handle them so I am not up on Savage maybe having a stock you could switch out for?
Good luck in your search.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the idea Varmintguy. Guess I'll hold on to my Savage and keep looking. Smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
try http://www.boydboys.com.....
Boyd is the factory stock maker for several major companies and also sells a lot of varieties directly to consumer, from partially done to completely done.....

Very reasonable costs also...

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seafire, Have seen the Boyd Stocks...They only offer the Varmint stocks for the Mod.10....Don't care for the vents. Smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
smoker:

the model 10 is a short action... a model 11, 12, 14 and 16 will all fit a short action Model 10 stock...

I don't care for the vents either, but they also have a custom program, where they can make the varmint stock without the vents, it just costs more and takes longer to get...

I have also used their thumbhole and JRS stock and hollowed out the barrel channel for a few guys and they turned out well.. I have several for my own use...

there is a company in california called Richard's Microfit Gunstocks INC.. according to their website, they have been around since 1948....

they are not as cheap as boyd's but I have had some local guys indicate that their stuff is topshelf.. I haven't done one yet from them, but I am looking to order one in the near future for someone else for a Nikko Golden Eagle and evidently they are the only source for a laminated stock for that rifle...they advertise 7 grades of Walnut and 13 Laminate Colors....

You might find something there that you like...

good luck...
cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, wish you were closer I would gladly pay you to fit one of the JRS or Thumbhole stocks to my Model 10. I'll Check out the Kalifornia place. Thanks, Smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of The Cat Doctor
posted Hide Post
SMOKER,

not sure if savage sells stocks only but you could always try to buy a bvss stock. they make a model 12 bvss may bolt right on.

Married men live longer than single men do,

but married men are a lot more willing to die.

Posts: 165 | Location: missouri | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
The factory Savage laminated stocks are decent looking and you might be able to find one around (gun shows, etc.).

The problem is most people opt to save the $80 or so dollars when they bought their gun new and now wish they had ponied up the extra bucks. The OEM laminated stock might be available from Savage also.

Boyds will do some custom work, but I have not seen any of it. As far as I know all short action Savage stocks (10, 11, 12 series) are interchangeable.

Seafire did not say if he has ordered one without the vents from Boyds, but it sounds like he has or knows somebody who has.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, I have talked to Boyd's and they indicated that they would make a Stock without the vents... it is an extra charge and one has to be willing to wait for it ( about 12 weeks or more)....

smoker, drop me a PM... I may be able to help you out on that stock, or also, Boyd's will sell finished stocks...

they are CNC machined so unless it is some sort of oddball... Like a Nikko Golden Eagle ( some one has asked me about that locally).... they are pretty much a drop in...

A finished one from Boyd's would probably be cheaper than an unfinished one from Richards in Calif...

If I can be of any more assistance, drop me a PM...

cheers
seafire
thumb