THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Jewell HVR Trigger + stainless steel and MidWay Customer Service ...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jewell HVR Trigger + stainless steel and MidWay Customer Service ...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,

Just ordered one on sale at MidWay ... $200

Any installation tips or comments?

1.5 to 64 oz. Comes set at one pound. I think I'll try it there first. [Smile]

How much is the stock, used Rem trigger worth?

TIA

TBC

-

[ 08-06-2003, 16:06: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
I now have this trigger on all my M700 and M70 rifles.

Regarding the Remington trigger price. How many would you like to buy? [Big Grin]

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
TBC, The installation is just like the remington piece, just pay attention to the way the spring goes in, when I adjusted mine to 9oz. I had some creep, so I had to go one of the other springs, medium size, If I remember correctly. According to my buddies RCBS trigger gauge(spring model)I've got all my Rem. triggers set at 19ozs.,I thought it was closer to 1.8lbs. For deer hunting and such, that's as low as I think I should go, for my 223 Varmint I got the Jewell set at 9oz. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have installed several Jewell triggers myself with little problem. Occasionally, you will find a stock that does not have enought clearance for them, though.

The last one I tried to put in was on my stock Remington 700BDL in .223 Remington. The wood stock did not have enough clearance and I took it to my local gunsmith who used a dremel tool to remove a little wood to make it fit. No big deal.

I have 5 of the Jewell triggers now and am real tempted to get another. I have all mine on varmint or competition rifles and have them all set at 6 ounces. Sure spoils you when you back to a "regular" trigger.

In regard to what the Remington trigger is worth, probably not much. I save mine for the possibility that I might want to sell the rifle some day and might want to hang on to the Jewell trigger.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Birth Controller:
How much is the stock, used Rem trigger worth?

quote:
Originally posted by R Flowers:
In regard to what the Remington trigger is worth, probably not much. I save mine for the possibility that I might want to sell the rifle some day and might want to hang on to the Jewell trigger.

Or if you have to send the rifle back to Remington for any reason. It is my understanding that Remington would take the Jewell off, keep it, put a new Remington trigger on and ship it back to you....without your $200 Jewell.... Then some Remington employee would take your Jewell home and put it on his rifle and be glad that he just found a "free" Jewell.....

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trapdoor,
That would be unfortunate. Figure it would cost me $100, a pair of shoes, and the use of my come along.

I figure $100 in diesel fuel and tolls for the Excursion to go from Virginia to New York. Will need my come along to pull my shoe out of the Remington Employee's Posterior that carried his "free" Jewell home. And lastly will wind up throwing that pair of shoes away.... [Big Grin]

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wanted a factory benchrest trigger for my Remington. They said I would have to send the rifle in to get it installed. I explained it was my 40X rimfire benchrest rifle with a Lilja barrel and a much stiffer spring in the bolt. They said send it in without the barrel and put the stock spring back in the bolt because the rifle would go out with all stock pieces.
I said the hell with them and installed a Jewell myself. Lesson learned without getting burned.
Can you imagine having to pay for a new barrel put on by idiots in the custom shop that I never wanted in the first place? And what were they going to do with my stainless Lilja? I bet it wouldn't go in the trash.
Mad`

Posts: 36 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So ... crap.

MidWay sent the trigger in a light duty padded envelope. The bottom 1/3 - 1/4 of the trigger shoe was broken off when it arrived.

The broken end was sticking through the paper mailer! [Frown] You wouldn't think that Stainless Steel would snap like that ... brittle from hardening?

MidWay Customer Service has been very efficient in setting up a return and exchange. Maybe they'll use a box and foam peanuts this time? [Wink]

TBC

[ 07-31-2003, 22:08: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Birth Controller:
So ... crap.

MidWay sent the trigger in a light duty padded envelope. The bottom 1/3 - 1/4 of the trigger shoe was broken off when it arrived.

[Wink]

TBC

A piece of stainless steel was broken off!?!?
Stainless steel is hard as hell to break. I can't inagine what could do that - unless it came from the manufacturer that way. Surely someone would have caught the defect [Confused] .

Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
**** A piece of stainless steel was broken off!?!?
Stainless steel is hard as hell to break. I can't inagine what could do that - unless it came from the manufacturer that way. Surely someone would have caught the defect.

Hollywood ****

=================================================

HW ...

I could kick myself for not taking a couple Macro pictures of it! [Mad] I was in a hurry to pack it up and get it back to MidWay.

Yeah, I was surprised. Maybe the hardening process causes brittleness? Further - the edges were raw like cast metal. I'm no metallurgist, so I really shouldn't say more.

The big plus (?) in this unfortunate situation is that MidWay is setting standards for Customer Service with their immediate e-mail coms to make sure I'm satisfied.

It was sent from MidWay to me UPS 2 Day Air in a light duty, padded envelope. I could feel one of the raw edges actually protruding - needle-like - through the envelope paper when it arrived! [Eek!]

Brian (MidWay) Customer Service Representative, stated in a timely follow-up e-mail to me that they've been "wrestling" [Smile] with their Shipping Department over returned, damaged merchandise like my trigger.

He also said .. "I'm forwarding your situation to shipping so they're aware of the problem hasn't been completely solved." [Big Grin]

I offered the suggestion to him that $200.00 triggers should be shipped in a BOX with foam packing peanuts. Incidently, that's how I shipped it back to MidWay - maybe someone will take the hint? [Eek!]

The snapped stainless steel baffles me. Maybe I should write Jewell Triggers and inform them? Without the pics, though - maybe not.

Mike TBC

[ 08-01-2003, 03:28: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]