New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmints in the snow
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I thought on memorial day I would go out and shoot a few gophers because I had nothing else to do so I grabed the 22 and away I went. Imagine my suprise when I got to the area (A high park at about 8,000 feet) to descover 6" of new snow. I was about to leave when I noticed the pesky little buggers were out and about in the snow. The little buggers could not run at all in the snow so I had a great day of shooting. A white background puts a whole new meaning to the phrase "red mist"
Russ

Posts: 589 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ: Aaahh... yes, even in my travels around SW Montana this past holiday weekend I encountered sleet, hail, snow and a bunch of cold cold rain!
Many Ground Squirrels were out and about though, in between the downpours and deluges and snow squalls!
One never knows what the weather will do in Montana.
One of my close and trusted Gopher Hunting buddies was off on a "quickie" Gopher Hunt last week when the sun was high and bright. He encountered "hoardes" of Ground Squirrels and their pups at around 5,600' elevation.
Now normally, I hesitate to relay details of other folks Hunts but this guy is so layed back and so NOT prone to exageration that I will make an exception and relay his brief description of this recent Hunt!
My friend has 20 clips for his Ruger 10/22 heavy barrel "Gopher Getter". He leaves from home with these clips loaded and ready for instant and extended use.
Well Don, my friend, unloaded all 200 rounds from the FIRST stand he made! The shooting he declared was NON-STOP, at the infestation of Gophers. Also before he moved he reloaded all his clips and drove about 600 yards to his second stand. Where he promptly unloaded them all at a new hoarde of Gophers! At this point he was both amazed and had over stayed (time wise) his intended to be, short Hunt.
He decided to reload all his clips and take the long way out of the ranch he was Hunting on. Well he would poke along and stop and shoot as the opportunities lent themselves for the "primest" of shots.
Low and behold he emptied his 20 clips again for a total of 600 shots on a "short" Hunt of about 4 hours duration!
He and I are headed out to this "honey-hole" tomorrow and I have my 10 Ruger 10/22 clips loaded as well as my 5 Ruger 77/17 clips already!
It got to 73 degrees here today so the opportunity to "paint the snow" here in Montana is probably over for this year!
Glad you had a good shoot on the Gophers with the snowy background!
Keep after'em - theres more of them out there!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote