Find
Notify
Tools

Eating Crow?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
I had a blast crow hunting last weekend. My friend and I had a little discussion. Settle an argument for me- With which choke and load have you had the best results crow hunting with (wing shooting).

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
BTH:
I�ve been using 12ga #6 with Hodgdon Longshot Powder, Winchester Primers and Wads. The gun is a Remington model 870 and I use a modified choke. Don�t if that will settle the argument or not but it should generate some more comments. Also you might want to try using an Owl and some crow decoys, and be well concealed. They are a lot of fun.
GW

Posts: 23 | Location: Peoples Republic of N.Y. | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Hello. May I suggest you take your laser range finder along and try to reconstruct a few shots, hit or missed after you have a little crow shoot. Your terrain and cover is important and you will be amazed at what you find out. Good shooting. ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
BTH:
To get into a little more detail, the loads we use are a magnum load in 2 � inch and they carry some punch. Modified choke should cover most hunting conditions as far as range goes. Other than that you might want to shoot some trap/skeet during the off months to get into the �swing� of things. Some clay birds, a barbeque and some hungry, shooting friends can be a good weekend.
Good Luck
GW

Posts: 23 | Location: Peoples Republic of N.Y. | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Every year for Halloween Wifezilla decorates the house and the first day she puts out the fake (stuffed) crow we get this huge mob (murder) of crows perched around the neighborhood screaming at it.

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
For crow hunting, with a scattergun, I prefer to feed
my Remington 11-87 SP, 3" buffered magnum #5, or #6, shot.
If I carry my Browning Gold 10 ga, I go with 3.5" ammo,
with #4, or #5, shot. Our crows are wiley, and tough.
I usually have the modified chokes installed, but the full
chokes, and choke wrenchs, are in my pocket, if it is
windy, or the birds want to hang on the edge of shotgun
range. I will say that shotgunning crows is challenging
shooting, and can be humbling with any shotgun, choke,
and ammo. Don't expect too much improvement from just
changing that. Some time at the clays range will probably
help some, but crows flight is very irratic, which is
what makes them tough to hit. I expect many edge of
pattern hits, so I want some thump in the few pellets
that connect.

Squeeze