New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra's 63gr SMP in .22cal
 Login/Join

<bearlake>
posted
Any Experience with this bullet in a 22-250 or like?
Would this be a good bullet for K-9's? The coyotes get pretty big in northern Minnesota.

<Dale>
posted
It has been a good varmint bullet in my .22-250, and also a .222 Rem., but I have used it only on prairie dogs and rockchucks. A good friend of mine used it on a lot of coyotes from a .220 Swift and really liked it. My personal favorite on coyotes is the Speer 52 gr. HP.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used it on whitetails in a .22-250 many years ago. I can't see that it would be of any advantage over an ordinary 55 grain bullet for coyotes, even large ones. The 55 will pentrate to the vitals on the largest coyote and will give you a slightly flatter trajectory.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<bearlake>
posted
Stonecreek, how did it perform on the whitetails? I am looking for somthing that will not explode or fragement within impact.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I once potted a 200 lb whitetail with that bullet out of a Mini-14 at about 100 yards . Believe it or not , the little bugger went clear thru both lungs and out the other side . It left a hole thru both lungs about the size of a fifty cent piece. The buck ran around 80 yards and tipped over stone dead .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to use that bullet in a 22/250 for javlina S. Ariz. also shot it quite a bit on coyotes, bobcats, and fox. It works just fine but as StoneCreek says "no real advantage over a55gr. bullet".
Hornady makes 2 60gr. bullets. The sp is for varmints and the hp they call a game bullet. Seems backwards but that's what they claim.

Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The SP must have a thinner jacket? Nosler makes a 60g partition if that helps. I like the 60g. bullets my self for the over 200 shots and have stopped useing 55g bullets all together.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote