THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Rem Etronx Excessive free bore

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem Etronx Excessive free bore
 Login/Join

posted
After breaking in my Rem Etronx, 220 Swift I took some fired case measurements in preparation for reloading. Found that with my Stoney point
gauge and a Sierra 50 gr. HPBT bullet that the free bore (bullet jump) in my brand new Etronx is in excess of 0.178". I am unable to reach the lands with enough case neck left to barely support the bullet let alone with the minimum of one bullet diameter I usually like to see! Called Remington and they told me that they intentionally built in excessive Free Bore to PREVENT users from loading into or touching the lands. Has anyone else heard this
from Remington? Are they doing this to all there rifles? How about Ruger, Marlin, Winchester, etc.. I am considering returning this rifle to Rem for selling it under false pretenses.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I didn't know somebody actually owned one of those. How does it shoot. [Big Grin] [Eek!]

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know anything about the Etronx, but my recently purchased 700VS in 223 does not have excessive headspace. With my stony point guage I measured an OAL of 2.255 with Sierra 52 BTHP's. This is .055 off most reload OAL's for this bullet. I can easily get to the lands with plenty of neck for bullet support.
Can't understand why they would build in extra space in the Etronx and not a Varmit Special. If they are trying to eliminate shooters from reloading into the lands, the Varmit gun owners would be the ones inclined to do so more quickly than anyone. Why not start with this gun??
Go figure.

MDH

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Free bore is what I meant to say - not headspace

MDH

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote