Find
Notify
Tools

Coyote Calling Poll
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Question:
Do you use an electric caller or hand callers?
I used to be "Traditional" , I would only use hand calls becuase I thought Electronic calls were "cheating". I now use both. I do find it more rewarding when I call in a yote by hand but, electronic calls can be alot of fun.

Choices:
Just electronic
Just hand calls
Both
No holds barred/bait/decoys

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I've called in exactly 1/2 of my yotes(14) with hand calls and the other half with my new Foxpro FX3.

I am getting way more vocalizations back with the FX3.

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sight on where you expect them to be when you shoot.

Then when they get there. Bark at them and you've got about 5seconds to fire before they either come on in or head the other direction.
Either way, they'll be at a full run.

40gr in .223 won't blow a hole out the other side and ruin a pelt, where a 55gr almost always will.
Anything over 200yds and a 35gr will lose it's stability and go wild all over the hillside. So stick with 40gr's IF you want accuracy and no pelt damage.
IF you don't care other than to make 'em dead, use your' elk gun!! Good practice.

Good shootin!!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am really suprised more people did not vote no holds barred. I guess there is not enough pissed farmers who let you bait them.
cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I prefer the hand calls, that whole man agin critter thing I guess.

I do have several calling buds that use electronic and I find it kind of enjoyable to sit back and let the machine do the work.

To me it is kind of like the difference between going hunting on your own or guided.

Sometimes it is just fun to let someone or something else do the work.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes it is just fun to let someone or something else do the work

Yes it is. I went Crow Blasting this morning, I started off calling by hand and a few came in. We switched to a Johnny Stewart caller with a cassete and you shoulda seen it, hundreds came a flyin'. What a blast. We scared off a yote too. I thaught about blasting him, but #6 shot at the distance he was is just inhumane. I doubt I coulda hit him anyway. I started off hand calls only, but for vermin, I am a no holds barred guy. I always have a couple hand calls around and still use them frequently. But technology can be a lot of fun too. cheers
cheers