Find
Notify
Tools

Rock River 'Varmint'
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted
I am thinking of taking the plunge into a pure varmint rifle and leaning towards the Rock River 'Varmint' with the 24" SS barrel. Anyone having any first hand knowledge about this piece I would very much appreciate your sharing with me - either pro or con. At present, I have a safe full of heavy rifles, the smallest I own is a 7x57 and I think this is a little big if I should go prairie dog hunting, etc.
To date, most all of my experience has been with bolt guns other than the usual military weapons which includes the early M16. I understand the current M16 and AR16 clones are eons removed from what I knew - they did not even have forward assist on the ones I fired!
Again, any and all info much appreciated.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TrapperP,

I too love heavy barreled bolt guns.
However,a couple of years ago I got the bug for what I would call a "coyote rifle". I wanted something that was accurate and with which I could make quick follow up shots should I miss on the first shot. It seemed that a semi auto would fit the bill. I assembled an ar-15 type rifle by having a stag lower built up using a houge grip and but stock and a two stage national match trigger and a rock river arms upper with wylde chamber and 18" stainless 1-8"twist bull barrell in 223. It was accurate enough that you could put ten 75 gr hornady hollow points into an inch just as fast as you could get back on target. I loved it, and kept it in my truck along with a 12 gauge pump in a big sky overhead rack until some low life decided he needed it more than I did and broke out my window and stole it.

I killed hogs, deer, varmints and crow with it.

I liked the 1-8 twist and the ability to use heavy for caliber bullets.
I loved the accuracy.
I liked the quick handling of the 18" barrell.

A couple of minor negatives
Consider how you are going to rig a sling.
with a longer bull barrell and scope it will appoach 10 lbs so it is heavy.
with a ten round clip you will need to use shooting stix or a bipod should you want to support the rifle.
You will probably need to consider what you will need for cleaning purposes (ie tools and support/rest)

I have not replaced mine yet, but when I do I will either build another or buy direct from rock river. If you want the 24" barrell you my want to look at the rifle stag arms is presently promoting.

just a couple of quick thoughts

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one about a year and a half ago. This is my second ground hog season. The rifle has become my go to GH rifle. The rifle is scary accurate. The rifle has extended my range with a 223 from 275 to 425 yards. I never shot a GH over 275 yards with a 223, I had to many crawl offs. However since this rifle has no recoil, I can instantly deliver a double tap. Now I can reliably kill GH's at 425 yards with no crawl offs.

I went with their 20 inch barrel. I like the way the shorter rifle handles. The trigger is excellent out of the box. I can not think of one bad thing to say about the rifle. Below is a picture of the rifle, and a three shot 300 yard group. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HEAD0001:
I bought one about a year and a half ago. This is my second ground hog season. The rifle has become my go to GH rifle. The rifle is scary accurate. The rifle has extended my range with a 223 from 275 to 425 yards. I never shot a GH over 275 yards with a 223, I had to many crawl offs. However since this rifle has no recoil, I can instantly deliver a double tap. Now I can reliably kill GH's at 425 yards with no crawl offs.

I went with their 20 inch barrel. I like the way the shorter rifle handles. The trigger is excellent out of the box. I can not think of one bad thing to say about the rifle. Below is a picture of the rifle, and a three shot 300 yard group. Tom.

What is the Leupold you have sitting atop this rifle? I'm think the 4.5-20 Leupold would probably be able to handle the capabilities of this rifle/caliber combo?

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've had several ar's in different configurations both off the shelf and made up. the guys at rock river are top notch people. They are probably the most helpful out there when it comes to making up a custom ar. their product is 1st class. You will enjoy.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Rock Rivers are well built, excellent rifles. I would give some second thought to a 24" tube. Very long and extremely heavy. The rifle does no balance well with that much forward weight.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a RRA with the 24" barrel. AS stated above, it shoots very well. I use it mostly for bench shooting and groundhogs, but carrying it for a long day in the field can be a chore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I built mine from a minor name lower (can't remember off hand) and the Rock River 20" 1:8 varmint upper. It shoots three shots touching each other at 100 with plain 62grain FMJ reloads. The tolerances are tight enough that when I added the upper I did not need any sort of "wedge" as I was told I might with other uppers.

I can't imagine how it would shoot if I didn't have the stock trigger in it. OH BOY.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
TrapperP, Everyone should own an AR15 as to use as a varmit rifle, that's why I purchased my first one. Then when you find out how much fun they can be (think 10/22 of the centerfire world) then you are hooked.

Do it, it's a good choice.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are a taller guy, I would definitely consider the EOP. It has the riser built in so you don't need to worry about one more piece to come loose. I bought an EOP a few months ago and couldn't be more happy. The RRA triggers are by far the best factory triggers and they also offer the best accuracy guarantee too. I can hide 10 shots with a quarter at 100 yds with 68 HPBT match and Varget. I have the 24 in barrel and it is very front heavy. There will be a bipod on it by next Sod Poodle season. As far as carrying it, not a chance for me. If that is a must, I would look at the Predator Pursuit. Everything is the same but the barrel weighs just over a lbs lest and it a 20 barrel. Accuracy guarantee is still .75 MOA. Pretty damn hard to beat for $1100. If you do decide to go with a Rock, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Posts: 108 | Location: West Fargo, ND | Registered: 16 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The scope is a Leupold 6.5X20X40 with the 30mm tube, and side focus. It also has the Leupold Varmint Hunter reticle. The reticle works great on this rifle. It has taken me a couple of hundred rounds to really know the scope. But now that I "know the scope", it works out great. Hits to 450 yards are pretty easy.

The rings are from Burris. They were the best I could find without paying a ridiculos amount of money. Everything else had the word "TACTICAL" attached to it. And as you know that word doubles or triples the price. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 20" EOP just came in yesterday! The Leupy 6.5x20x40 SF 30mm is due in today! I can't wait!!!!!

My buddy has one and man it's a shooter! I had to get one myself. Bigtime accurate and fast.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatever AR you get, purchase an extended scope rail for it and mount the scope further forward.

Unless you do this, it will be all but useless when shooting from prone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Down at my range in Kenmore, Wa., have been a member there maybe 15 years, there has only been one AR type rifle that shot anything close to a good bolt gun....gent had a Rock River with a Varmint upper and improved trigger.....5 shots in like a dime @ 100 yd. Have seen no one else do that yet. If I were inclined towards a AR type, I would begin here...r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote