New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Surprising Accuracy!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sharpsman: For those that may not have a couple of factory boxes of Hornady ammo to refer to the boxes have handy trajectory information labels stuck on them. This is true for the 32 gr. factory ammo from Hornady as well as the 40 gr. factory ammo.
Both trajectory labels declare VERY flat shooting out to 400 yards. In fact when both the factory offerings are sighted in dead on at 200 yards the 32 gr. bullet drops only 13.1" at 400 yards and the 40 gr. drops just 13.2"! Then at 500 yards the 32 gr. drops a total of 29.0" and the 40 gr. is a tad flatter at 28.1"! By the way these speedy "declared" loads are just 0.6" high (32 gr.) at 100 yards to obtain the 200 yard zero and the 40 gr. is just 0.7" high at 100 yards when zeroed at 200 yards!
Point being - speed makes it easier to hit (kill?) with!
Nifty project you have in mind there! Good luck with it. Have your Riflesmith use a reamer with a proper bullet to rifling relationship! While I am thinking about it I am not to familiar with that Charles Daly mini-Mauser is it like the old MarkX mini-Mauser single shot action that was offered back some time ago. Any distinct benefits of the Daly mini-Mauser over the Remington 700 short action that I should know about (i.e.: looks better, cheaper, stronger or what?).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sharpsman: I also noticed the F.P.S. readings on published data for the 40 gr. handloaded bullets!
I am so happy with the Berger 35 gr. bullets that I will probably not be doing any load development with the 40 grainers. I will try and save a couple of 40 gr. factory bullets to chronograph sometime in the future.
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote