Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fort Belknap Prairie Dogs
 Login/Join

posted
Thanks, Old Elk Hunter, for sharing your experiences. I presume you hired a tribal member, can you remember the cost per day. Is there a restaurant in Zortman or do you prepare your own meals? Did you bring a shooting bench or did you shoot off the hood of your truck. Thanks again.

Posts: 4 | Location: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
The tribal hunting license can be bought for a few days or the year. I paid around $100 for the year. Most of the guides charged $150 per hunter per day at that time. There are two places to eat in Zortman. Good quality basic chow. I did bring a bench but did not use it.
At my guides suggestion I just shot out the window which worked well because we were able to move more often that way. I would bring something to cushion the rifle on the door next time. One of those camera mounts that clamp on the door glass with a shooting bag on top would work well. The guides will also allow you to set up a bench and shoot that way. I had a better truck so I used mine but the guide normally furnishes the vehicle. A 4x4 suited to off road use is appropriate. If it rains you WILL GET STUCK if you aren't using aggresive tires and are not willing to drive aggressively. The praire turns to very soft gumbo greasy mud with any moisture.

I'm half Cherokee/Shawnee/Choctaw and could get away with saying things like "Don't you think Custer got what he deserved?". Don't be an ugly whiteman while you are out there.

Remember the toilet paper and bring food for you and your guide.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I thought I should add that Montana is a great place because it is not crowded. Because of this there are very few sporting goods stores and they aren't big. Do not assume that you will be able to get any unusual items if you need them. Bring a LOT of ammo. I would allow
500 rounds a day to be safe. Bring a spare rifle and ammo. Bring the appropriate tools to do any repairs or adjustments. If you have it, bring a spare scope or whatever else may fail. You don't want your trip ruined over some minor thing. Make very sure that your vehicle is in good shape before you head out there. Keep your gas tank full!
In addition to your center fires, bring a .22 for some fun fast shooting. The locals really like it if you'll clean out some ground squirrels for them. Be ready for bad, very bad, weather, but don't let it ruin your attitude. You take your chances out here.
And don't forget the film. You will see clouds like you have never seen them anywhere else.
Now you've got me to where I want to load up the truck and head north east to Zortman.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
I have hunted the Belknap reservation twice now and would recommend the following.

1. Early to mid june after the fields dry and rains moderate.

2. Tribal Guides are good and my recollection is that they are required for you first visit. After that, you are permitted to "guide" yourself. We tended to shoot from benches and if you have a reasonably good area, you can fire several hundred rounds per day.

3. We tended to limit ourselves to 100 grain or less varmint bullets (I use a .260Rem for longer range shots.)

4. The guides are really good people and fun to meet and shoot with. Ours helped us with spotting and seemed to find animals in the 3-6-9 oclock sectors all the time. Cool Some are more dedicated than others, but that's the way it is with everything. We tended to tip about $20/man per day on top of guide fees. They liked that.

5. We found a really decent area near the Buffalo pens the second year after getting skunked the first day. (Part of that was that another vehicle in our flight were AR shooters that tended to keep the animals down with continuous fire. Like I say PDs are stupid, but they are not crazy.)

Both times it was a very possitive experience and we were blessed with great weather, although it did get hot in the afternoons.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MUD...Bear Paw Shale. will fill wheel well and even stop a 4X4. No mall? boohoo No sporting good stores? boohoo Bad weather? boohoo Sounds like home Smiler thumb

Life but a knife edge anyway.Sooner or later the man slips and gets cut.
YOU AIN'T SLIPPED SIR?
How would you know son.
(Streets Of Laredo)

Posts: 112 | Location: Bonetown,South Dakota | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote