THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Remington 700 LVSF - Need performance report

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Remington 700 LVSF - Need performance report
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I received one of the first ones out in 22-250 and cant say enough good about it.Is light and moves well,flat forend lays well when shooting off backpack,bolt works smoothly, and barrel seems to be one step up.Get very little copper and cleans up readily,smooth feel to barrel when pushing a patch through.Accuracy is 1/2 inch and under.Its possible I just got a good one but Im going to push my luck and try another in 17Rem.also.I hope this performance carries through as a true representation.

Posts: 135 | Location: N.D | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plainsdrifter: Thats great news on your 22-250 LVSF! I have been trying for the last several years to find a good deal on a Remington 700 Classic in 22-250 to use as my walking 22-250! Maybe I will reconsider and start saving for an LVSF instead. I have a couple of 17 Remingtons now. One is a Remington Classic and the other is a limited run model 700 Remington stainless 26" Varmint Special. They both shoot very well and I hope that your 17 LVSF does so also.
My question to you is what model/power scope is on your 22-250 LVSF? I saw another LVSF in Butte, Montana today and it was in 22-250. They were asking $749.00 for it!
Hmmm.... on that price.
Hold into the wnd
VarmintGuy
I am

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sask Hunter:When I was referring to camoflauging gun I was concerned about shiny parts only.Where I hunt in snow covered terrain I think you might get by with a santa suit and pink rifle stock but the minute the sun reflects off a stainless barrel or scope most coyote Ive seen are leaving faster than if I had shot at them.Ive had very good success using a cheap white childrens finger paint in the craft section at Wal Mart that I can readily remove when I think my rifle has to look pretty. Seems to work for me.

posted Hide Post
Gre-Tan supplies and installs a new shroud for ~$65. However, I think Brownells carries a few that may be cheaper and I've been told it's not that hard of a DIY project.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sask Hunter, I gotta agree. Wonder how many have been laid down in the woods and never found. Along with the camo knives and camo t-paper.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you americans and your camo guns.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy:Seen a picture of LVSF with a 3x10x40 Silver Leup. which looked mighty pretty.Would make a nice calling choice also and could always be camoed as needed.
Most prices Ive seen on LVSF are $700 to $750.Hope you get a good one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Plainsdrifter: Having one scope power range and being familiar with it I am sure has its advantages. I won't go into great detail but again last year I was Prairie Doggin with my usual bunch (about 12 as I recall) of Varmint Rifles along on the trip. Included were Rifles scoped with powers rangings including 4X12, 6X18, 6.5X20, 24X and 8.5X25. All but the 24X have Du-Plex reticles. I had about 8 or 10 misjudgings during the heat of the shooting (over about 5 days) of range due to changing scope powers. I had along my perfectly good Leica 800 laser ranger but was just shooting the big ones way out there and made misjudgements on some of the occassions when I was hurrying. A Prairie Dog just appears to be closer when using your 6.5X20 as opposed to when using your 4X12!
I bought a used Silver finished Leupold 4X12 with AO last fall at a Gunshow and I bet that model would look good on a LVSF! I have been checking every Gunshop and sporting goods store in western Montana all month and the new Leupold catalogs are due in any day!
Is the 4.5X14 Leupold made in silver?
Windy and light snow here today in SW Montana. Maybe shootable at the range tomorrow though! I have some more load testing to do.
And now for my main question of Plainsdrifter how much money is involved in changing the bolt shroud and firing pin to the "J" lockless style?
Thanks in advance.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy:Ive made a compomise and with Leupold 41/2 x 14s on all my varmint calibers which is too much for some and not enough for others.This way they serve me well at the range and when I make a field change in power it feels comparable from rifle to rifle.At 14x it saves me the trouble of carrying extra bino weight.My main calling rifle gets to wear Swarvoski 4x14x50 which does give noticeable more light near dark ,but does not bring home any more coyotes.I know what you fellows mean regarding the J-bolt.I have changed some of mine out but as long as they want to shoot I havent messed with them.Like you said they kind of grow on you.I think if people where to knock anything on the LVSF it would be the lack of a floorplate.This has not been a problem for me as shell eject smoothly as extra rigidy supposedly is to be supportive of additional accuracy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy: Sounds like a good choice in power range.
I know what you mean with the higher power objectives.
I used to shoot a scope in 6x24 and often experienced mirage problems over the snow at 20x and above but many swear by them so its like everything else and comes down to an individual decesion and there are usually no right or wrongs,rather just basic preferences.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pointer: Thanks for the price check there on "new shrouds aisle one"!
I am gonna use my new "J" lock Rifles a while and make sure they do not need any warrantee work at all before serious thinking about replacing the shroud(s).
And if others haven't already done so then let me welcome you to this particular venue of ideas, exchanges and experiences! Welcome.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jbok: Yes the LVSF's I have seen all have the "J" lock on them. I have several of the 700 Rifles with the "J" lock now and am trying to learn how to ignore them!
I think the "J" lock is an attempt at a solution to a problem that does not exist!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was wishing for a little negative, looks like I am getting ready to order mine. I think the rifle has some great features. 22" barrel, medium fluted barrel, all stainless, synthetic stock and of course, a Remington. Does it have the bolt lock? That was not one of Remingtons better ideas. Maybe the guy that invented the bolt lock will someday be sweeping floors at the Savage factory. (I think that is where the guy that invented the Eletronix Remingon rifle is now.)

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
plainsdrifter

i see what you mean. the thought of killing a nice rifle with camo doesnt sit well with me.

shot mine this after noon. 5 shot in side 2 inches at 200yrds with 50gr v-max. not amazing but pretty good for a bone stock rifle.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote