New
Find
Notify
Tools

optics for an ar15
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
whats everyone using on there ar 15 for optics got my first one and am in need of sugestions i am leaning toward a hologram or maybe a red dot rather than a scope any sugestions??? thanks

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Depends what you're using it for.

Mine's for prairie dogs, crows, coyotes. I put a relatively inexpensive Bushnell 5 x 15 and am very happy.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
simmons 6.5-20 on my RRA .223... simmons aetec 4-12 on my Armalite ar-10 .308.... simmons aetec 4-12 on my RRA .458 socom... simmons 4-12 44mag scope on the 5.45x39... they're $100 scopes, seem to hold up well....ive used a simmons 30mm reddot on the .458 socom too... i liked it, just too big of a dot...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2840 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As stated it greatly depends on what you want to use it for.

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5x4.5x32mm Firefly Riflescope on my 16" Bushmaster M4 Optics Ready Carbine .223 AR-15. I use this Bushmaster for Calling Coyotes as well as carrying it in my Patrol Vehicle. I wanted an Illuminated Reticle, did not want an Electronic Illuminated Reticle and the option for some Magnification also. My Bushnell has served me well on 1.5x when carrying it in my Patrol Vehicle, and on 4.5x for Coyotes out to 250 yards. I qualify with this Bushmaster once a year with the Bushnell set at 1.5x on police silhouette targets as close as 5 yards and have no issues with the field of view. Part of this is due to the right height scope mount so it fits me like it is made for me.

I just recently picked up a DPMS Panther Bull 20 .223. SO far I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 Firefly 3x9x40mm Riflescope on it. However I do plan on replacing it with a Weaver V-16 4x16x42mm AO Riflescope with Weavers new Ballistic X Reticle. The main uses for this AR will be Calling Coyotes and killing small varmints.

I have been a Range Officer for an Indoor Shooting Range since 1990. In all those years I have seen about every brand & type of Electronic Red Dot Sight fail on .22 LR Semi Auto Handguns at one time or another. I just didn't want to depend on an Electronic Sight for self defense.

Larry

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
On my varminting gun I have a 4.5-14X Burris Fullfield II

For my carbine I have a Eotech holographic sight. I don't shoot it much

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14 with mil-dot reticle.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
quote:
As stated it greatly depends on what you want to use it for.

I have a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 on my .223 AR-15. I use it for predators, javelina, hogs, blackbuck antelope, and small Texas whitetail freezer does.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold 4.5x14 VX3 with varmint plex on a R15 and a Leupold 1.75x5 VX 4 on a M4.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks to all for your input went with a bushnell elite 3200 in 5-15x with mil-dot thanks again bill

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
That should be a great scope for close-ish shots and for reaching out for distant sod poodles. I wish I would have sprung for a 3200 vs. my less expensive one Bushnell.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
Just a suggestion but I tried leupy QRW/PRW rings on my DPMS and they did not fit very well on the picatinny rail.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Burris 3 x 9 Balistic-Plex. Sighted in at 100 yards, the first post is on at 210 and the second post is 315.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of those IOR Valdada fixed 4x with the bullet drop cam. It really does a number with hot loaded 69 grain sierras.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote