New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 4198
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
on on of the threads here on AR, someone was mentioning that they did not use IMR 4198 or H4198 in a 223 because they had experienced lot to lot inconsistencies....

Well, I can agree on H 4198 with that statement...I quit using it, but it was the first powder I got all my 223 loading experience with...

I started using IMR 4198, because I saw greater consistency with it, compared to Hodgdon's...

I used 4198 because of its economy, how many rounds you can load out of a can of powder...

However, since Hodgdon has taken over production or at least distribution and marketing of IMR 4198, I have used 2 pounds of it so far, in the round plastic Hodgdon container....

Under Hodgdon, I have to give them credit.. in the two pounds I have ran thru so far ( about 600 rounds plus)... the groups and consistency with these two pounds have been superior to ANY results that I have experienced before out of IMR 4198.....

I don't know if any other varminters have had this experience or noticed this.. but I thought the observation might be worth bringing to the floor here...

cheers and merry christmas to everyone!
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
The pound I just finished worked well in my 222 Mag, 6x47, and 6mm TCU.
That's only one lot, but I was able to find at least one fast, accurate load for all 3 calibers.
I won't use it because I load hundreds of rounds at a time and the long sticks don't meter as smoothly through the Bonanza BR powder measure.
It's a good powder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I am the one who noted the inconsistancy of 4198 in the 223. I had the problem with both IMR and Hodgden, so I went back to W 748. 4198 (either one) is still my powder of choice for 25-20 WCF.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the W748 for my 22-250 I also shoot the IMR 4198 . I can not get any consistency out of the Hogdon 4198 in the 22-250. Too small case size???? who knows . I just know my 22-250 does'nt like it.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." Klingon proverb

Posts: 96 | Location: central missouri | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote