New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Remington Varminter?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I headed for civilization yesterday (115 miles each way!) and found myself in Bozeman, Montana!

Among other things on my long list, I had to return an amazingly inaccurate S&W revolving pistol to the good folks at Yellowstone Gateway Sports. They in turn are sending it back to the factory to try and figure out why this Model 647 (8 3/8" barreled, all stainless pistol in 17 HMR) is so inaccurate?

I think that is the FIRST firearm I have ever returned because it was inaccurate! I was a liitle hesitant (embarrassed?) to return it but the folks there in Bozeman were VERY amiable about my situation. They remembered me from when I returned the same Model of pistol earlier this year because it had come from the S&W factory with no rifling in the barrel what so ever! I returned that one but not because it was so inaccurate but because the bullets were keyholing through my targets and the shrapnel blowback when fired was hurting my face!

Believe it or not the targets with the keyholing bullets showed much better grouping ability than this last pistol they gave me! The keyholing unrifled Model 647 gave 4" groups at 25 yards and the "rifled" Model 647 gave 6" to 8" groups! I have talked to many people that have Model 647's that show wonderful accuracy with their pistols and I hope to achieve that with my next Model 647!

Indeed ALL my other S&W pistols are very accurate and I am simply stunned by this finely finished pistol being so inaccurate! Everyone can throwout a bummer product on occassion I guess!

While there in Bozeman I had occassion to handle a Model of the Remington 700 Rifle I had never seen before!

This Varmint style Rifle was new and unfired and all factory original according to the clerk. It had a 26" fluted heavy barrel (blued), and the action was blued also. The stock was the most unusual color in that it was a bright tan color and was made of fiberglass! It had the Wundhammer swell in the pistol grip area on BOTH sides of the stock!

The overall appearance of the Rifle in my mind was strikingly pleasing!

Has anyone else seen this model of the Remington 700 Varminter?

I know that the folks at Remington "burp" out sometimes limited runs of new looking and new calibered Rifles but this one I have not heard a peep about!

I asked if the new Remington 2,005 catalogs were out yet at all the shops I went to but none have arrived as yet so I could not see if this Varminter will be a catalogued Model this year!

I asked if there were any other Rifles like it in the shop and the counterkid said that was the only one they had! It was in caliber 223 Remington.

Another Varminter I nearly bought was at the same store but it was the common black fiberglass stocked Varminter with blued 26" heavy barrel in caliber 223 Remington. It had been marked down from $619.00 to $529.00! I asked if they had one in 204 Ruger as a friend of mine is looking for one but they had none. I think I could have finagled that Rifle out of the store for $500.00 cash but I have a BUNCH of 223's already!

Another item that I saw that may interest a Varmint type guy looking for a project action (or a very nice little Hunting Rifle!) was a Remington 700 ADL (short action) Model 700 in caliber 6mm Remington! The owner of this second hand/pawn shop in Ennis, Montana was "asking" $325.00 for it and like I say it was in real nice shape! It had rings, mounts, a scope and a real nice military type sling on it also. I did not check the bore but the Rifle had been used very carefully or not much at all!

Anyone interested just E-mail me for the phone number. I have seen Remington short actions alone sell for this much and more sometimes!

I did end up buying a 1980's vintage Redfield variable scope

from another small shop. It was a 4x12 variable in MINT condition and I got such a great deal on it I kept looking for blue lights in my rear view mirror on the way home!

I am now only TWO scopes behind in getting all my Varminters "rescoped"!

I have been "robbing" scopes for the last few Rifles I have bought. That activity will catch up to you for those of you (like me!) that are often able to afford to buy the Rifle and want to shoot it before being able to afford another scope!

I saw at another shop a USED but MINT condition Leupold 4x12 variable scope with A.O. feature! The guy wanted $355.00 for it and would not budge down in price at all even when I flashed cash to him! He says he knows he will get that price for it. I am sure he could get $300.00 for it but I question $355.00. Maybe?. I am actively seeking one or more of these very scopes for my present and future needs! The scope appeared to be several years old and it was in perfect condition. I later saw at a chain sporting goods store, the present manufacture (matte finished) Leupold 4x12 with the A.O. for only a couple of twenties more than the used one! Says something though about Leupold scopes resale values!

I perused another Sightron 6x24x42mm variable scope at a small shop. It was used but in great conditon and the owner was asking $275.00 for it. It had the fine crosshairs and tiny dot in it so I did not bid on that one at all.

If anyone has any info on the tan stocked Remington 700 Varminter please fill me in (what other calibers, prices, limited run? etc).

The long trek to civilization was much enjoyed by me as I saw lots of wildlife including Bald Eagles, Fox, Coyote, Mule Deer, Antelope, Whitetailed Deer and many many flocks and flights of Geese along the way!

Such is the life in Montana!

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is I believe the new 700 VSF according to Rems. web page. Comes in .223, .22-250, .308, around $950. retail

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hector: Thanks for the tip. I checked the Remington site and sure enough there it is!
The price on the one I saw in person was around $720.00 as I recall!
Still it was a very handsome Rifle in my estimation.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
Doesn't Remmy have a new varmiter based on the xp 100 pistol action?? this wasn't one of these? Man that 6mm would have been extremly tempting. I have found lately It is just best that I stay away from gun shops, as many times I see deals on guns that I can't pass up even though it wasn't a gun I was looking for. I said it before and I will say it again VG, you need a CZ!!!

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cummins Cowboy: Yes the folks at Remington are coming out this spring (supposedly!) with a Varmint Rifle based on the XP-100 like single shot action. It has a straight bolt handle in the pictures I have seen of it as opposed to the dog leg crooked bolt of the original XP's.
I am saving up for one as we speak.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wish you luck with your 647, I've had one for awhile & it really shoots well. I think maybe you got a lemon. In by past experience S&W was really good about correcting them.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmintguy,
I was actually standing next to you at the counter while you were talking to Ted. The rifle you were handling was a 700 VS SF. I was there placing an order for a VS SF II which is only slightly different. Ted will order in anything you want usually takes a week or so. They're really great over there.

Anyway, best of luck with your pistol.

John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote