Find
Notify
Tools

How loud to Call
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
I got an electronic caller and some tapes for X-Mas. I finally had two coyotes respond last Saturday morning. They were coming in and had closed the distance to about 300 yards when my batteries died. I was not in a good position to shoot and they got away. Anyhow, I wondered if you guys play tapes like the rabbit distress constantly? How loud do you call. I had tried on numerous occasions without any luck in an area known to have many coyotes (during deer season, I saw a song dog or two on nearly each outing)

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't use an ecaller,so can't help much with that. I use hand calls and usually put lots of volume into them. Talk to 10 guys, you'll get 10 dfferent opinions.

When the coyotes were at 300 yds. and you caller quit, had it been me I would have lip squeaked. They wll hear that beyond 300yds. and most tmes come running. I call it the kiss of death, because it works so well. Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 92 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a Johnny Syewart for 6 years now to compliment my mouth calls. I have tried all ways and have found that the best is to just turn it on until you are ready to leave the spot. I do not play it very loud. As a guage if you can barely hear the call from 50 yards away you are about right. Coyotes have very good hearing. I have seen dogs come to the call from a long way off having trouble believing that they are acutally hhhearing the call. That being said wind will effect how loud you need to play it. I do cheat myself in that I have a remote and usually start very low then increase it after about 5 minutes. Howevr, I still never really play it much higher than I mentioned earlier.