Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .308 win for Varmints?
 Login/Join

posted
Savage99: Have you heard of anyone using the .308 110gr Hornady VMAX? I shoot alot with a .308 and have always wanted to go on a prairie dog hunt in Montana. Will the .308 VMAX fragment enough to safely do this? Thanks for the reply.

Posts: 7 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 14 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a 30-06 on woodchucks when I was a kid to see what would happen. I did have a decent 222 Rem but curiosity got me to load up the 06 with 125 Sierras.

The bigger round really tears them open but it kicks pretty hard when wearing a tee shirt. Then I made a long shot on a chuck. When I got to it I found that the range was more than the 200 yds it was sighted for and the bullet had hit the dirt in front of the chucks den and bounced up (richocet) and killed the chuck.

I stopped shooting it after that as one has to pass up too many shots where the backstop is not perfect.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 308 with either the 125gr. Nosler B.T. or the 125 Speer TNT. The Sierra 125 gr. bullet is not designed as a varmint bullet and is not as fragile as the Nosler, or the Speer. I use 51.5 gr of WW748 in Win. brass and a Fed. 210M primer. Velocity runs a little over 3100 fps from the 24" barrel on on my rifle. Blows big chuncks out of coyotes. I have found both of the bullets to be pretty fragile. Either the 110 VMax or the 110 gr. Sierra HP Varminter are pretty good bullets too. But the 125 gr. bullets can be driven nearly as fast, and have a lot better B.C. for longer shots on windy days. Both of the 125 gr. bullets are capable of .5MOA accuracy in a good rifle.

RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote