Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hog Hunting
 Login/Join

posted
The ranch I hunt has more problems with hogs than coyotes. Tactics I've heard about combine baiting and standhunting. Do any other tactics (like calling) work? How about info sources for hog hunting? Thanks.

Posts: 4 | Location: Sugar Land, TX | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
There's probably lots of sources on the net but here's my 2 cents. We had to manage a herd of about 1500 or so Eurpean pigs on 2700 fenced acres and what we learned real quick was that hunting the same heard over and over requires frequent changes in tactics. Hogs learn fast! Get several techniques that sound like fun and start in. We used to put feeders out and stalk on foot in good moonlight. Listen for banging lids and stalk into that feeder. Lots of fun but don't go out alone; have a shooter and a back-up shotgunner as wounded boars will frequently charge. If you use gun mounted lights, hogs will turn to the light once or twice before you have to add or change colored filters. Tree stands or towers work too, just get a couple of mini-mags and leave them on, pointed towards a pile of feed after dark. They will give you enough light to see cross-hairs out to 45 yds and hogs ignore them as long as they are constant. Ditto for solar powered yard lights from Home Depot. There's lots of ways to make this fun but if there's enough natural feed you'll probably never get ahead of the game with just a few people hunting. At the peak we were feeding 9,000 to 10,000 lbs of hog feed a week and barely kept the numbers managed with 5 to 13 hunters 5-6 days a week, year round.

[ 10-22-2003, 20:19: Message edited by: tigertate ]

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote