THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    S&W Varmint Pistol Problems!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Varmint Pistol Problems!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My tale of woe continues regarding my quest for a close range 17 HMR revolver for Ground Squirrels, Prairie Dogs and other types of Varmints!

If you may recall I bought myself a S&W Model 647 in caliber 17 HMR Christmas week last! I got it to the range right away and that pistol sprayed my face with shrapnel when discharged and the 17 HMR bullets keyholed into the targets! The cause of that F.U.S. was the folks at S&W drilled a hole in the 8 3/8" barrel but did not rifle said hole! So I was swaging 17 HMR slugs down an unrifled hole! Thus the blowback and keyholing. I returned the pistol to the S&W folks and 4 months later I got a new pistol. I test fired this one from a bench rest (without a scope) right away and I knew the minute I shot it it was a lemmon. 8" six shot groups at 20 yards! I can throw rocks that well. Well after 3 months searching for a base for this Classic pistol I finally got one. I mounted a nice 4x pistol scope on it anyway recently with fine Duplex crosshairs and today I test fired 4 types of ammunition, again! The target was set at 25 yards and the pistol was fired from a solid bench rest with sand bags and then was fired from a large "X" style Dog-Gone-Good sand bag with butt resting in another sand bag. I would describe the pistol set up as rigid and dead still for my firing!

The pistol shot 6 shot groups (patterns?) at 25 yards of 6 1/2" with all four brands of ammo!

I GIVE UP!

I will contact the S&W people and see what they say about this kind of performance from their neat looking $525.00 pistol!

I just love the looks and feel of this S&W and I wish it would perform well enough to hit a 2" wide Ground Squirrel at 25 yards - it just won't!

I took along today my Remington XP-100 in 223 and fired it intermittently with the S&W. I shot a five shot group at 100 yards with it of just under 1"! It does have a Burris 10x pistol scope on it though but I have a whole fleet of S&W revolvers that will shoot WAY WAY better than this Model 647 and none of them need a scope to do it!

The other time I had this S&W Model 647 out to the range it shot just as bad and my friend the local gunsmith observed the results and laughed at them. He wants to tear the pistol down and see what is wrong with it. I declined. I am more intent on trading it back to S&W and hearing what they have to say about me getting two lemons in a row. This after buying dozens and dozens of S&W's over the decades and NEVER having even one glitch with any of them.

I am at a loss.

I missed this Ground Squirrel season (with a 17 HMR pistol) through disappointment and delay and the Ground Squirrels are going down here now for their summer hibernation and will not resurface until next spring.

I will have a 17 HMR pistol online by next spring for the close ones - I just have my doubts it will be a S&W!

Snakebit?

Unlucky? No I don't think so - I have had a run of wonderful luck over the last year with a myriad of new Rifles in brands by Sako, Remington and Ruger!

Anyone else out there have a good (or any?) experience with the S&W Model 647?

Sheesh!

Well I better get to work on a letter to the S&W folks. I will let you all know what they say!

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG,

If that was my pistol,I would be PISSED!!

I am not of the school that says "trade it off".That JUST creates more problems for some poor bastard down the road and does NOTHING to teach Smith& Wesson NOT to make shoddy products.

It's not like you are picking nits here and complaining about "only" getting 2" groups @ 25 yards with irons or some thing like that.No,S&W should get the gun back ASAP along with a certified letter to the company president telling about you poor experience with their latest gun.

I can understand why your gunsmith friend wants to "dicsect"
your .17 revlover.I would think that a 17HMR revolver would put a big premium on cylinder alignmant and forcing cone angle and smoothness due to the velocites inloved.Also,17s are so accurate and easy to shoot that ANY accuracy problem shows up like zitz on a Vogue model!

I would send it back and tell to try again!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey VG, Darn shame about that revolver. Since the S&W ownership changed hands, I've looked at a good many myself and they do seem to be well made. I think you are correct about letting the folks at S&W have a couple of chances at getting it fixed.

---

Must admit I am a bit surprised at your "bashing" of S&W. I know a fellow who had "similar" experiences with a good many (rag) Pre-64 M70s of his own as well of some his friends had to sort out. When he simply said he "didn't like them", I seem to remember you took it on yourself to speak bad of him.

I doubt he has such low morals or lack of character to return the same though.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
slow (real SLOW) core: Your obvious lack of any experience with any line of arms leads me to this conclusion (again!) you are just a troll constantly looking to stir the shit. You enjoy stirring up shit so often I assume you work at your local shit distilling facility (sewer plant)!
I never said I did not like Smith & Wesson!
In fact, just the opposite you imbecile! I have a safe full of S&W products (and again!) I have never had any trouble with any of them or the several S&W's that I carried professionally for 29 years! That and I like the looks, balance and feel of most every pistol in the S&W line. I would at this point have hesitancy in buying another Model 647 though. That is not bashing in any way shape or form.
I made the above posting to give a heads up to any Varminter or pistol shooter that may be interested to use extra caution when selecting a 17 HMR pistol!
What was the purpose of your posting?
To stir shit?
Are you a simply a shit stirring troll like troll?
Saying you do not like the pre-64 Winchester Modle 70 (like you have done) is one thing, but to make outlandish and sweepingly absurd and unprovable statements like you have made regarding that fine Rifle is just immature beyond measure!
Your constant contrary views have a profound effect only on your bad reputation. It makes it worse every time you spout off!
Go distill a turd you cretin! Its something you can handle!
You know of no such person that had a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 come out of the factory with no rifling in the barrel or sent bullets keyholing down range!
Stop the ridiculousness.
Long live the wonderful, accurate, beautiful, safe and reliable Riflemans Rifle the pre-64 Winchester Model 70!
Do not play in the street hot cork!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

I never noticed in VG's first post ANY general "bashing" of S&W products,only his narrative of problems with THAT particular 17 HMR revolver.He states that he still owns OTHER S&W products so he obviously is not sour on the brand.

Your reply here is obviously just intended to start another argument.Not very productive behavior.

As to your previous critisisms of the pre64 Model 70 rifles- frankly ,you DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!

If the pre64 model 70 rifles were SO bad in terms of their design,workmanship or function,tens of thousand of riflemen would not have missed them so much when the post '64 guns came out.I have heard NO ONE ever state the pre 64 guns functioned any worse than the post 64 variety or any other American bolt rifle made after WWII.

I don't know if you are a troll or not.One thing I DO know is that your REAL knowledge of centerfire bolt rifles can be put into a "size small" thimble.

Also,your common sense about picking fights on this forum is pretty limited as well...............

one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, Your "tone" leads me to believe you are upset - again. Too bad! Sounds like a problem with the ... naa, I'll let you continue to wrestle with it.

I know your Mamma must be so proud of your vocabulary.

---

sharpsman, Thanks your your words of wisdom. They mean so much to me.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wee core: You might earn some semblance of respect if you would answer the few and direct questions I have asked of you on so many occassions.
You can't answer them or won't - either leads me to the righteous conclusion you are simply a pest like troll and say out landish things to bring attention to yourself!
Like I said go distill some turds and make yourself useful.
You as the diminutive cretin you are have not even the slightest chance in hell of affecting me in any way shape or form!
Let alone instilling upset upon me. I simply toy with you and your immature ego as a pastime.
Again - I have never "bashed" the S&W folks ever and only post my experiences for more mature minds than yours to evaluate.
Go sit in the corner and evaluate your delusions of import. You have greatly and obviously overestimated yourself.
Stick to your job at the sewage treatment facility and leave life to those that wish to enjoy it and are on an even keel.
Long live S&W and the wonderous and beautiful pre-64 Model 70 Winchesters also!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
VG,,, Maybe you ought to go get yourself one of the Savage Strikers in 17!!! I got one last JUNE,(25th anniversary present from the wife!!!! She bought me a gun!!!!) and it does somewhat better than 6" at 25 yards!!! I would be pissed also!!!! Let us know your results of fueding with the powers that be at S&W! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey VG, Been looking for one of your posts I could totally agree with. Difficult to do, but I did find one.

Here is the thread:http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB3&Number=714134&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=2

And here is the quote of yours I agree with:

VG
Quote:

Brain training! That is exactly what I need!

Always nice to be able to agree with someone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
VG your issue with this particular handgun puzzles me. Especially in light of the article I mentioned some time back where the author tested this same gun and claimed it was the most accurate handgun he'd ever fired "period".
Very dissapointing I'm sure.
Like you I've seen this as a drive around in the truck hunting gophers and shoot-em with it when their too close for a rifle kind of deal. I'm hoping S&W comes through as they should and you eventually have a happy ending to this saga. Hang in there and keep us posted. As my lovely wife says, "you don't want to give up 5 minutes before the miracle happens"! (I call her my little "Bliss Ninny")
Those sure are pretty suckers, stick with it I'll bet they get it to shoot eventually. Good luck.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
This really bums me out as much as I like S&W pistols. Stay on there case I can't believe that they don't care, maybe they need to fire someone in Quality Control. Hopefully they will send your pistol through the custom shop. Keep us informed of your progress.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mountdoug (and others*): I want to make it clear I have not contacted the folks at S&W as yet regarding the extremely poor performance of the replacement Model 647.
But I am going to.
Yep I am not in any way condemning the company. Mistakes happen but two in a row! Yikes maybe I am snakebit!
For instance I sold a gun here last week and I have a double pocket full of mad money so I headed to Idaho Falls bright and early this morning to buy one of the Remington 700 VLS's in 204 Ruger caliber I had seen there about 8 days ago. And guess what the guy at Ski's Gunshop said he sold the 2 Remington 700 VLS 204's he had in the past couple of days! One he sold last evening!
Sheesh 280 miles round trip for naught!
I am heading to Missoula soon and maybe I will see one there?
Yeah I just love the looks of this Model 647 and the trigger is perfect (single action anyway I have not tried it double action).
Yeah I have talked to a couple of other guys with these and they rave about them and I remember your relaying the articles reference to the accuracy but alas I have the odd one from S&W (again!).
Yep I will soon inquire of the S&W folks - I am just deflated a bit.
By the way I saw a herd of 40+ Elk on the way south and two rag horn Bulls in the group! Big Varmints soon!
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
* This includes you Hot core!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would sent the first gun back and asked for my money back. that shows you how much time and effort they put in their guns if they didnt even check over the gun before it was sent out. I will never get a smith and wesson just cause of your post. My glock 21 (.45 acp) can hit a squirell at 25 yards most of the time with open sights.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey VG, I can be every bit as respectful of another persons opinion as they are of mine.

I do hope the folks at S&W are able to resolve the accuracy problem for you. Depending on how well S&W addresses your problem will have a direct influence on my next 44Mag revolver purchase.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trashcanman: Yes the folks at the retail store where I bought the first S&W pistol and did not it replaced for 4 months looked me directly in the eye and said thank you for be especially patient! The gun manager said this with emphasis. He knows that 90% of his customers would have been having canniption fits by then!
I will try and continue to be patient.
First I have to buy a large envelope to send the targets in I recently shot with this pistol back to the factory folks.
And again I feel most likely I am "lotto lucky" in getting this run (two!) of way below normal quality S&W pistols!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy