New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Varmint Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was considering a Savage 12BVSS in .223. It seems like a nice rifle for the money. Does anyone have this rifle? How does it shot? How is the Accutrigger?

Thanks,

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Tradewinds:

I have a 112 BVSS in .223, but it is the older pre-AccuTrigger version. I love the gun. I bought it to do some experimenting with heavier bullets as Savage puts a 1:8 (actually 1:8.875) twist in the .223. Have only shot 100 or so rounds, working up a bunch of different loads. When we ever escape from this "endless" winter, I will do some shooting with the successful loads to see what's really up. The rifle is a good shooter, with several different loads grouping well under 1/2" at 100. A preliminary group with Sierra 69-gr. HPBTs went into less than 1/2" at 200 yards, but needs more testing.

Guess what I'm saying is: "Try it, you'll like it."

Posts: 42 | Location: Lyndon, VT | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Armed in Utah>
posted
Best bang for the buck....I have no experience with the new trigger, but reports are good. Seems they are slow at getting the 223 varmint/target rifles out. The Savage made, button rifled barrel are accurate, and 1/9 twist does well with 55-69 grain bullets. The best bargain is the FP Tactical series, if you can live with matte blue, opposed to SS barrel. One thing is known, the new series, older series scope bases will not fit.??? You must use two Weaver front bases. Whether Leo or Burris has bases yet is unsure. Why, I don't know. Also the new trigger will not fit older series. Retail cost?? $540-$560 for the BVSS series. My 223 Savage rifles all shoot well, of course after a SSS trigger upgrade. I have FP...BVSS-S...and the VSS series. Great shooters.........

posted Hide Post
I have one, bought it about a month ago here in western PA,paid 410.00$ includes tax.Excellent
groups 1/4" at 100 yards using IMR 4198 and a
Sierra Matchking 53gr.HP.I got the Model 12BVSS-S
the last S is for single shot.I don't like Savages plastic magazine followers.Yes use two
Weaver front bases and I used the Millet rings
It took me awhile to figure that one out !
Savage makes no mention of that in their litature.I guess their to busy making excellent
barrels,this rifle puts any! Remington out of the
box rifle to shame at 200-300$ less.I also mounted
a Tasco 6-24x Varmit mil-dot on top.The rifle is
so accurate I just might take it Benchresting.

Posts: 9 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 02 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 12BVSS .223. I LOVE IT. It is the pre accu trigger, but I really can't complain about the trigger. I think the weight of the rifle offsets the pull of the trigger. I get good groups out of most all factory loadings, but I use the cheap white box winchester 45 gr, JHP and get groups with all holes touching if I do my part. I have had one hole groups with reloads too. Its a wonderful gun as I shoot with a few guys that have spent more than myself on higher end guns and they can't believe how well my gun shoots. I like the thick palm swell on the laminated stock and with my bipod, sling, and scope it makes a wonderful varmint rifle.

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 112 BVSS in .25-06, Neco fire lapped, Canjar set trigger( pre acu-trigger ) 6X20 Leupold---100 gr Sierra's at 3400 fps.--1/2 inch rat smacker! Longest rock chuck todate--659 yrds with a range finder. The scope cost more than the rifle --What a buy!---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got one with the accu-trigger best factory trigger I have shot. Found a combination of two-piece Leupold mounts that worked on my rifle I haven't had any good luck with weaver style mounts so thought I'd try mixing and matching Leupold mounts. rifle shoots really well, and I've never been a Savage fan but that may be changing.

Posts: 97 | Location: Mo. | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So CZECHTECH; have you had much experience with the 527 with single set trigger? I've been looking at the 10FPLE1A and the CZ527 with the HS precision kevlar stock.

Posts: 196 | Location: MN, USA | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<cobra>
posted
Have a pre accu-trigger 22-250 that hasn't shot a group over an inch with something over 60 different load combos sent through it. Inherantly accurate, best load at present is a hair over .3". Intend to replace the trigger eventually but, for a Savage, mine isn't that bad and I'm used to it.

[ 04-06-2003, 22:34: Message edited by: Cobra ]

<DLS>
posted
The Savages are some of the best shooting rifles I have seen. But some of the poorest feeding too. This may only be the last four that I saw though.

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
I have had 3 savages,all were very good shooters.
Cal 270,30.06,338
For me they are too much like a club,with an
action I just don't like.But...Like I said they
all were good shooters.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Stainless Laminated stock with the accutrigger in .223. I will see how it shots. Now I have to choose a scope. I was thinking about the Weaver 6-24 with Varmint Reticle.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TW,
I have a Weaver 6-24 on my Savage 10FP in .223. Don't think you will be disappointed. It is a heavy rig though and the higher ends show alot of mirage as the day heats up.

NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 223 12bvss - single shot with accu trigger it shoots as good as anything I have, for the price it can't be beat. The 1st 3 shots I took with it after break in were all in the same hole at 100 yds. I was shooting 23.5 h322 50 gr. nosler bt win primer win brass.

Posts: 29 | Location: Inpls. Indiana | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Armed in Utah:
snip...One thing is known, the new series, older series scope bases will not fit.??? You must use two Weaver front bases. Whether Leo or Burris has bases yet is unsure. Why, I don't know. snip.........

When did this all start with the different bases??? I bought a Savage last year and have been experiencing a weird scope mounting problem. I suppose it could be related to this. It would certainly explain my problem. Is the receiver machined not flat or what exactly is the difference??????

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bowhuntrrl, The new Savage 12vbss is round on the top both where the rear scope mount and the front scope mount go. I called the Savage customer service. They told me to use 2 front weaver mounts one for the front and one for the rear. They said nobody has the mounts yet but some companies have started making them they are not on the market yet. Other people have made other combinations of scope mounts work. I have decided to just use the weaver fronts until I can get somethig that is made for the gun.

Posts: 29 | Location: Inpls. Indiana | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Just buy the individual Weaver Grand Slam bases #46. Midway and Grafs stock them, IIRC. That, or a one piece Ken Farrell base (sharp shooter supply). HTH, Dutch.

[ 04-09-2003, 18:57: Message edited by: Dutch ]

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
Muzzleheavy but shoots like a benchrest gun,my 12FV has shot the white box 45gr winchester factory loads into .500 groups no problem.A piece of .035 piano wire and a 15 minute adjustment will bring the factory trigger into focus pretty good(2 1/2#).Not as crisp as a SSS or the new accu-trigger but pretty good.Shame the accu trigger won't retro-fit older guns.If you find ragged one-hole groups to be pretty than you'll find your savage to be right attractive.Try one you'll like it.

woods

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
To Rooksd1,

Have a question about your single shot. Shops around here do not stock Savage though several will order one for you. So haven't seen any of
the new ones in person.

On the single shot, is the receiver one solid
hunk of metal where the extra rounds would
normally go or is it just a metal plate to make
it easy to load one shot at a time?

I would think solid metal would make the receiver
stiffer and possibly more accurate a wee bit.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Elsdude, the Savage single shot is a solid bottom receiver. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Dutch.

Was hoping that was the answer.

Now can I beat back the temptation to get one in
22-250 or not?

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote