THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    6.5x55 with 95 gr V-Max in Modern Rifles ??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 with 95 gr V-Max in Modern Rifles ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are any using this combo and what speeds in a new modern action and accuracy do they get, how does this bullet go on fox sized game.

Am considering some various outfits at the moment and the swede with the 95 gr V-Max in a cz 550 seems to be a an option.

Thankyou PC.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

I don't know if it is just me or not, but I have not gotten the 95 grain VMax to shoot worth a darn in any of my 6.5 x 55s and have not got it to shoot worth a darn after trying a whole bunch of powders also.....

Yet I have had good luck with every other bullet weight around it.... from the Sierra 85 grain HP to the 90 grain Speer TNT to the 100 grain Ballistic Tip, Sierra 100 grain HP, and the Hornady 100 grain SP....

The rest of the V Max line I have had good luck with, but not in my beloved 6.5 calibers.....

I was hoping the original Load for the 260 that was listed as 43.5 grains of Benchmark with a 95 grain V Max with a listed MV of 3385 fps or so, was going to be the answer to my 6.5 mm varmint hunting needs.... It just didn't happen!

If you try it, I wish you better luck than I experienced in all 3 of my 6.5 x 55s!

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire I have not decided yet wether to get a cz 6.5x55 or a heavy barrelled cz .308 i am just going through the types of loads in I would use in either rifle in my head, to finance I will be trading off a Ruger stainelss 30/06.
Thanks for your help, funnily enough I reckon your the second person to say they have had shitty reults from the 95 gr V max from a swede.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

I also own a couple of 260 Remingtons, 2 Rugers and one Rem 700 VLS....

That is an excellent 6.5 mm varmint round and accurate target load, AKA the 308 family.....

the best thing I have to say about a 308 is that it is the parent case for the 7/08, the 260 and the 243...

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Are any using this combo and what speeds in a new modern action and accuracy do they get, how does this bullet go on fox sized game.

Am considering some various outfits at the moment and the swede with the 95 gr V-Max in a cz 550 seems to be a an option.

Thankyou PC.

Tried them in the wife’s custom 6.5mm Swede and while they were accurate enough they had a tendency to ricochet badly. Gave up on trying to use the Swede for varmints and bought the wife a Ruger No. 1 in .22 Hornet instead. For the type of varmint hunting we do the Hornet can't be beat. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote