THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    223 for Coyotes, Foxes, mabey a Bob Cat or 2

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 for Coyotes, Foxes, mabey a Bob Cat or 2
 Login/Join

posted
Shooters

My Dad asked me what I thought of the 223 for varmints, I told him that the rounds are really easy to get and that I thought it would be good for varmints and accurate to about 400 to 500 yards.

Do you agree?

What rounds would you buy, as he does not reload, for varmints?

He wants the least amount of damage as possible to the pelt.

If there is any other caliber you think would work please tell me.

Thanks

Clint

Posts: 23 | Location: N. AZ | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A .243????..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only to 200-250 yards.
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the 223 is a perfect choice for Foxes and Cats. I use mine with great results. I do not go over 275 yards though! Pelt damage can be avoided with proper bullet placement. I have tried Winchester Supreme Silvertips. I think they were 45gn. I found these to be less likely to blow a big exit hole through the fur but placement is the key! Hope this helps!
Mick... [Big Grin]

Posts: 25 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
223 is perfect for what your father wants.Walmart has winchester 55gr FMJ ammo for $7.48 per box of 40 which does very little damage to fur.I have 3 223s in various forms so I am quite familiar with what it will do 22-250 is a better round but for the availability and cost of ammo 223 wins easily in my opinion.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all.

I sent my sister this page and she can show my Dad.

Thanks again for all the info.

Clint

Posts: 23 | Location: N. AZ | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote